PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DB depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Numerous seasons, the Patriots have appeared to be extremely deep at DB entering the season.

Numerous seasons, the Patriots have run out of qualified DBs, although the coaching staff has often done a good job with the resulting ragtag bunch.

Some of these seasons have been the same.

Bottom line: Please don't say that the Pats have acquired excess DB depth.

Numerous seasons, the Patriots have appeared to be extremely deep at DB entering the season.

Numerous seasons, the Patriots have run out of qualified DBs, although the coaching staff has often done a good job with the resulting ragtag bunch.

Some of these seasons have been the same.

Bottom line: Please don't say that the Pats have acquired excess DB depth.
And IF they realize their potential, we have:
Bodden (a borderline probowler)
PLUS
a #1 McCourty
a #1 Meriwhether
an almost 1 Downing
a #2 Chung
a #2 Butler

That is the makings of an NFL best secondary if they mature together and realize their potential. Who has a secondary with a better pedigree/raw talent level?

I can understand how some people may be frustrated with db picks, possibly because a few haven't panned out and the pats have had a tendency to get torched a bit the last few years.
these people were probably mystified and annoyed by the mccourty pick last year --- but I'd say that worked out pretty well.

I expected them to take a db in the first 3 rounds this year because you basically have to put 3 on the field fairly often, and you can almost bank on 1 being hurt --- although mayb ethat one will be the one we just drafted.....

in addition, because of the contract situations you pretty much have to draft a guy you like every year to get him pipelined into the rotation --- maybe not a first rounder, but somebody that has starter prospects -- not all these picks pan out.

so, this guy replaces wilhite, bodden returns, and we are hopefully a bit better than last year, but might be right in the same boat, depending on injuries and rookie ability --- I wouldn't say we're excessively deeper.
I'd say we WANT to be deeper than last year, though.

I'd count on another corner drafted in the top 3 rounds next year, as butler will be entering his final year, and arrington will be a question.
I won't say corner is the foundation of any team, but there are a few positions where you don't want to be in the position of relying on late replacements off the street --- I'd say tackle is one, and corner is another.

I loved this pick. I'm glad they held their ground and took a guy they believed in at #33.

I don't like the Ridley pick. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back