Welcome to PatsFans.com

DB analysis...

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by Seneschal2, Mar 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seneschal2

Seneschal2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Interesting take on the top 10 CBs and top 8 Safeties from NFLDraftScout's Frank Cooney: Crop of defensive backs fast and deep

Random excerpts:

2. ayjackson

ayjackson Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Why are people down on Michael Griffen? The write-ups I've read on him seem very complimentary to his cover and tackling skills, as well as his coachability. Is it the hype of Texas? Is it that he'd be a better pick at 38 than 28?

Please enlighten me.
  3. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

People are missing the boat on him. I wouldnt mind the Pats taking him @ 1.24. He is a Patriots kind of player. I think he would be a better fit here then Nelson.

Just my .02
  4. SamBamsFan

SamBamsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't know if "down" is the right word. Following their championship season, a lot of the Longhorns did have big press (and there was a lot of talent still in Austin). But despite having "surefire" 1st rounders like Griffin & Ross, plus Tarell Brown, who might go on the 1st day, they finished 90th in the nation in pass defense so I guess you start looking deeper into the parts. Paralysis by analysis? Maybe. But you question how good these guys were to start, or was it a lot of hype from the media attention.
    Mostly I'm kind of "meh" on Griffin. He's a little undersized as a strong safety, and he only played FS this year. He's very athletic, very coachable as I understand. I think your point that he might be looked at differently if he was rated @ 38 rather than 28 is valid.
  5. captain stone

captain stone Rookie

Ratings:
    +174 / 34 / -22

No Jersey Selected

I don't think that Griffin will play SS in the NFL, but he has excellent triangles for FS. And FS is maybe the #1 need, with ILB, for the pats.

I wish we had a #2 pick; there might be a lot of value to be had at DB and LB, even later in that round.
  6. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

I really like Gattis. Gattis in the third is much better value than Griffin in the first. Gattis makes plays and can play special teams while we wait for Wilson to play out his contract year or get switched to CB.
  7. captain stone

captain stone Rookie

Ratings:
    +174 / 34 / -22

No Jersey Selected

Gattis may not last until 91, however.
  8. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

True enough, but trading down from the first is always an option to create mid-round picks - though I'd prefer to take a larger player at Safety.
  9. captain stone

captain stone Rookie

Ratings:
    +174 / 34 / -22

No Jersey Selected

I, too, like 'em large at Strong Safety- 6'2", 220. Sanders barely fits the bill. Rodney and Mel Mitchell are more my type.

For Free Safety, however, being 6', 205 is OK.

I want to leave the draft with solid prospects at both SS and FS; if not during rounds 1-7, then via aggressive UDFA activity. I can no longer place my trust in Wilson, Hawkins, Gay or Scott to be a reliable, 16-game+ FS.
  10. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +384 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

From Mayock, who I like a lot, Griffin is an inconsistent tackler and a little tight in the hips.

I don't mind these smaller guys, but I jus think of Wilson, who is listed 10 pounds lighter, and how he didn't hold up as a Safety. Bad luck, maybe. 205 vs. 195 maybe is enough as a bit more bulk. But I'd love a guy upwards of 215 who can still run; like Piscitelli in the 3rd.
  11. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Along those lines, I'm looking at some second day guys like:

Brandon Harrison SS Stanford 6-2 227 4.58
    Jessie Daniels SS LSU 5-11 216 4.58
    Daren Stone SS Maine 6-3 218 4.58
    Eric Wicks SS West Virginia 6-0 212 4.60
  12. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Kevin Payne Louisiana-Monroe is classified as a FS, but I like him for a more generic S. I thought he looked very good for what little I saw at the Combine, Brandt's Pro-day notes say he impressed in his position drills then too.
  13. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I wonder if Jon Beason could move back to Safety, or if he's not really fluid enough? he's only 6'0, and I think weighed in at something like 228lbs at the combine, which is about perfect SS size. Again though, I wonder if his coverage skills would be good enough...
  14. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +39 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

Beason weighed 237 at the combine, he will play LB in the NFL. Maybe even for the Pats.

As far as liking safeties over 220+, I like 4.2 receivers but it doesn't mean they have to fit a specific mold. Look at Roy Williams, they guy has every stat but can't cover worth a lick. Compare him to Bob Sanders who is barely 205 and ask who you would rather have on your team. As long as they are making plays on the field, no one measures them after each game.
  15. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sorry, it was at his Pro Day that he weighed in light, not the combine:

"NFL | Beason unable to work out at Pro Day
    Sun, 4 Mar 2007 12:24:58 -0800

Gil Brandt, of NFL.com, reports University of Miami (Fla.) LB Jon Beason (knee) weighed in at 229 pounds at his Pro Day March 3. He was unable to work out because of a tweaked ACL, but he is planning to work out in April"
    http://www.kffl.com/player/16204/NFL
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When it came to Beason playing Safety I was just throwing it out their for discussion. I really don't kno if he could, at the next level. I was interested to see what other people thought.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.