PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DB 40 times...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only hope the Pats trade down and take either Cromatie or Cason and somehow get Groves as well.

But Denver at 12 seems like a nice destination for us.

New Orleans really does need a CB at I believe 10. I'm hoping Jenkins or McKelvin appear to be the #1 corner overall so they can take him. Denver needs some DL so they'd be happy to trade in front of Cinci(who also needs a DL). According to the draft value chart, we could get their no. 12 for our no. 7 and their second.

The value for trading the two seconds is a first in the 19 - 22 range.

Although, who knows how likely this is to happen.

Last edited:
40 times corrected...

Assuming that NFL.com has the official times, they finally just posted some:

Rodgers-Cromartie is now listed as 4.33 (up from 4.28)

Tracy Porter - 4.37 (down from 4.45)

Aqib Talib did not look good in the one drill where they backpedle then swing their hips to both sides and explode down the field. Sloppy. They showed some film on him after that pointing out some of his weaknesses, doesn't look like he's fast enough...

Not to mention he's got off-field issues. The Pats won't touch him with a hot poker. DRC and Cason as sedman indicated are the two they'll focus on.

DRC and Cason as sedman indicated are the two they'll focus on.

Nope.

IMHO, Cason and someone else. I'm confident Cason and another would be ranked top two (in any order) on the Pats board. The other could be a first, second, or even third rounder.

Jack Williams - 4.55

Trae Williams - 4.53

DJ Wolfe - 4.65

T Zbikowski - 4.52

Those were first runs and unofficial.

4.52 is a good time for Zbikowski. I want to see his short area quickness, and agility test though (I'm recording todays combine drills and will watch the tape later).

Few notes/opinions:

Brandon Flowers is one heck of a physical little dude, but he is just that, little. I would like to know his vert, as he'll need a pretty significant vertical leap to make up for his lack of height.

NE already has a 5'9.2" CB on the team in Ellis Hobbs, so it's obvious they are willing to take a shorter CB. But, you've got to remember some things about Hobbs. He was a total gym rat, and actually an athletic specimen for a guy his size. His vertical (42 inches) was off the charts, he can bench press a ton, posted a 4.08 short shuttle, 1.57 10 split, 10'4" broad jump (11'1" at his pro day), and a 4.45 forty (4.38 at his pro day). The guy was a little beast, lol!

That slower forty time could bump Flowers down a bit (especially with so much depth at the position).

In the past I had some interest in Quintin Demps and Josh Barrett at Safety, so it's good to see them performing well at the combine. Either could be decent early second day (remember they changed the draft schedule) options for NE.

4.52 is a good time for Zbikowski. I want to see his short area quickness, and agility test though (I'm recording todays combine drills and will watch the tape later).

In the past I had some interest in Quintin Demps and Josh Barrett at Safety, so it's good to see them performing well at the combine. Either could be decent early second day (remember they changed the draft schedule) options for NE.

Demps is my guy at either the #2 or the early #3. Really, really like him.

Demps is my guy at either the #2 or the early #3. Really, really like him.

Yea, I'm thinking the third round could be a nice spot to pick up a good/decent Safety, and Demps could be a nice option somewhere in that range.

Really quick overview:

Quintin Demps -- S -- UTEP -- 5'11" 206lbs -- 4.38 forty -- 16 reps at 225lbs

Played in 47 career games posting 275 tackles, 24 PBU's, and 17 INT's returned for a total of 404 yards. He also had some return duties.

Yea, I'm thinking the third round could be a nice spot to pick up a good/decent Safety, and Demps could be a nice option somewhere in that range.

Really quick overview:

Quintin Demps -- S -- UTEP -- 5'11" 206lbs -- 4.38 forty -- 16 reps at 225lbs

Played in 47 career games posting 275 tackles, 24 PBU's, and 17 INT's returned for a total of 404 yards. He also had some return duties.

He returned kicks and punts. 15th in the nation in punt returning last year. Very versatile DB as well.

damn i think cromartie may have run fast enough to not be picked by the chargers at 27

that would have been a nice future cb tandem cro and cro

I'm counting a dozen sub 4.4-forty times. That's insane. That said, I still don't think we can wait until the end of the second round to take one. I think in 2006, 13 corners were selected in the first two rounds. If we come out with the 13th best CB in this draft to start opposite Hobbs, we may have some trouble ahead.

Has anybody seen David Roach play or read some scouting reports? He had an impressive frame, timed very well (4.51) and looked like he moved well on the ball in drills. There looks to be several intriguing mid-round SS types in this draft.

We could really set up our secondary for years to come in this draft.

I'm counting a dozen sub 4.4-forty times. That's insane. That said, I still don't think we can wait until the end of the second round to take one. I think in 2006, 13 corners were selected in the first two rounds. If we come out with the 13th best CB in this draft to start opposite Hobbs, we may have some trouble ahead.

I'm hoping we can shore up CB through free agency, so we're not forcing ourselves to draft an immediate starter. I've always thought Fernando Bryant was a good corner.

I understand where you're coming from, but the 1st CB off the board doesn't always perform at his expected level, and the 13th CB off the board could in reality turn out to be the better pro. Yes, you'd rather have a choice between some of the better players at the position, but sometimes a guy you've graded out as a first rounder slips into the mid-second or later. NE has planty of draft picks (1,2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7), so they could very easily move up in the second round by trading some of their later picks. They could also move down in the first and pick up another second rounder.

So to sum up by official times:

Dom Rodgers-Cromartie 4.33
Tracy Porter 4.37
Mike Jenkins 4.38
Leodis McKelvin 4.38
Antoine Cason 4.49

And at least 4 of these guys look like legit 1st round talents? That's a deep DB class. I think we can trade down to 12 and still land a stud.

A lot of talk in this thread about moving up to #12. If Ellis is available at #7, Denver might have interest, but they won't give up their first two picks to move up 5 spots, draft chart be damned. They'd swap their first two picks for our first two picks, though - and so would I.

A lot of talk in this thread about moving up to #12. If Ellis is available at #7, Denver might have interest, but they won't give up their first two picks to move up 5 spots, draft chart be damned. They'd swap their first two picks for our first two picks, though - and so would I.

I think Draft chart is still a pretty strong guideline. If a guy like Sedrick Ellis falls to 7, there is NO WAY he gets to 12. That 5 pick difference is huge when a unique player becomes available.

So to sum up by official times:

Dom Rodgers-Cromartie 4.33
Tracy Porter 4.37
Mike Jenkins 4.38
Leodis McKelvin 4.38
Antoine Cason 4.49

And at least 4 of these guys look like legit 1st round talents? That's a deep DB class. I think we can trade down to 12 and still land a stud.

Again....FU*K GOODELL. #31 would've been nice.....

I do like the idea of trading with Chicago, getting #14 & 44...unfortunately, Groves is going to be gone by 14, and a lot of the top CBs may be as well...

Last edited:
I think Draft chart is still a pretty strong guideline. If a guy like Sedrick Ellis falls to 7, there is NO WAY he gets to 12. That 5 pick difference is huge when a unique player becomes available.

I'm speaking specifically to the Broncos, though. They won't do it. They have many holes and won't blow a first day pick to move up five spots when they can fill a hole in their starting lineups with both picks.

Again....FU*K GOODELL. #31 would've been nice.....

I do like the idea of trading with Chicago, getting #14 & 44...unfortunately, Groves is going to be gone by 14, and a lot of the top CBs may be as well...

We could take McKelvin at 14 and Avril at 44, though. Or Chris Williams and Antoine Cason. Regardless of direction, 14 and 44 is a strong drafting position, unless you need a franchise quarterback.

Looking @ it that way, why did we draft Asante Samuel (15th cb selected in 03)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back