PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Day One QB?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriplecHamp

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
ESPN AFC east blogger Tim Graham was asked if the Pats would take a QB day one to provide insurance under Brady and possibly groom for the furture and he said that with the significant drop off in tallent after the big three (Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman) they might have move up and draft a one of the three.Thoughts?:confused:

Last edited:
Is there something wrong with the Hall of Fame QB we've got now?

Talk to me in two or three years about using a high pick to draft an understudy to Brady.

i take graham's opinions lightly in some cases. the patriots qb situation is one such case.

tim graham insisted all the way up until the cassel trade was announced that there is no way cassel would be traded until after draft because they couldn't be sure of brady's health. i was ok with that being his opinion but he pretty much was insistent cassel would not be traded before the draft.

i think he is not clued in very well to the patriots' thinking regarding the patriots qb situation.

First of all, the talent at the QB position this year is horrible. Stafford is a poor man's Matt Ryan. Sanchez doesn't provide much to ease concerns when you look at the USC QBs that preceded him, e.g. Leinart and John David Booty.

Second, the health of Brady in 2009 should have nothing to do with the need to draft a QB. Even if the Pats did, that QB would have to be an extremely quick learner to warrant him starting over Matt or Kevin, both of whom have experience in the system.

Third, it would probably be cheaper for the Pats to trade some picks for Brady Quinn than move up to the 1st or 3rd or mid-first round for a QB. Quinn would be familiar with the offense and may be disposable to the Browns as they try to deal with having two QBs.

ESPN AFC east blogger Tim Graham was asked if the Pats would take a QB day one to provide insurance under Brady and possibly groom for the furture and he said that with the significant drop off in tallent after the big three (Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman) they might have move up and draft a one of the three.Thoughts?:confused:

Are you sure you read that correctly? I would think he might be talking about, you know, the JEST. . . .

And, BTW, Kevin O'Connell just called. He says "Who asked Bozo?" :D

ESPN reported it so dont worry about it! That wont happen!

I believe Graham in one of his chats admitted to be a phishhead and to living in that humid peninsula down there. For whatever that's worth, I will say it cured me of any interest in reading an ESPN chat.

Actually, I listened carefully to what he said. He prefaced it by saying that "It's a good move, in theory."

The problem as he sees it, is that there really aren't any "good QBs" that are likely to be available in the second round, so IF the Pats want a day one QB, they'd likely to have to move up to grab one of those three.

That said, I still think he's full of it if he thinks that's going to happen: after drafting O'Connell last year, taking a QB in the first round this year makes no sense at all.

[On a related note, a few weeks ago, DraftTek.com had the Pats taking Josh Freeman at #58. When I e-mailed them about it, the guy who handles the Patriots said that "he represented too much value to pass up"—to which I pointed out "value relative to what?"]

Last edited:
Actually, I listened carefully to what he said. He prefaced it by saying that "It's a good move, in theory."

The problem as he sees it, is that there really aren't any "good QBs" that are likely to be available in the second round, so IF the Pats want a day one QB, they'd likely to have to move up to grab one of those three.

That said, I still think he's full of it if he thinks that's going to happen: after drafting O'Connell last year, taking a QB in the first round this year makes no sense at all.

[On a related note, a few weeks ago, DraftTek.com had the Pats taking Josh Freeman at #58. When I e-mailed them about it, the guy who handles the Patriots said that "he represented too much value to pass up"—to which I pointed out "value relative to what?"]

Isn't Leftwich still available on the FA market?

With Pat White coming back to visit and the Pats talking to so many traditional QBs, I'd say that's your day one QB right there. Especially considering how well he threw at the combine and his Pro Day.

Did he not acknowledge at all that the Pats already did this last year? :confused:

Hmmm.. well.. Umm.. Nope.. can't type that.. Umm.. Nope.. can't type that either.

Who is Tim Graham? What are his credentials? Why do the Pats need another QB when they drafted a young one last year?

Seems to me that its a poorly written piece that needs work, including better research.

NO. This is one of the worst QB drafts in recent memory. Only teams that are in desperate need for a QB should reach for one this year, and even then it's a questionable long term move.

Last edited:
Why do the Pats need another QB when they drafted a young one last year?

I don't know, but you've got to admit they've been trawling the lower tier signal callers quite a bit so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes