PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Day One of Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be angry if the Pats had signed Peppers to the contract that the Bears signed him to. That's exhibit A in how to not be a playoff team.

I completely agree, way too much money for one player. I know it is an uncapped year but all that money on one player will catch up to you eventually, especially when you have so many other holes to fill. I expect the pass rush need to be addressed through the draft especially now that TBC is locked up. It isnt a bad option either, this years draft is very deep especially on the defensive side of the ball. With 4 picks in the top 53 you can definitely find yourself a pass rusher.

There are still plenty of free agents available who can significantly help this team. To name a few:

Thomas Jones - A superior between the tackle runner that the Pats haven't had since Dillon

Larry Foote - Solid ILB who is great against the run and good in coverage

Jason Taylor - A very good situational pass rusher

Derrick Mason - Older, but good route runner, versatile, style is a good fit for the Pats' offense

DeShea Townsend - Pats gave him a tender offer. Solid CB who could an one year placement at CB and potentially a FS for several years

LJ Smith - good receiving TE and decent blocker

Reggie Kelly - Very good blocking TE and a good short yardage receiver

Vonnie Holiday - Experience in the Pats' 3-4 in both Denver and Miami. Good pass rusher at DE. Would be an upgrade over Jarvis Green

Adewale Ogunleye - Might be a low risk, high reward experiment to convert to an OLB. He could have a McGinest like revival by taking his hand off the ground and moving outside the tackle. He greatest skills are to anticipate the snap well and having some speed. His problem is he can get overpowered rushing inside the tackle. Moving to OLB might actually allow him to exploit his strength and hide some of his weaknesses. Wasn't in love with the idea at first, but more research tells me he might be worth a risk if we can get him cheap.

Ryan Clark - A smart, physical, athletic FS. He can lay the wood (just ask Wes Welker) and he is tough. He is the type of player the Pats used to have at multiple positions on defense.

Chris Chambers - Not in love with the guy, but he is a big WR who can get down the field. Has talent to be a #2 or #3 on this team

Antonio Bryant - Elite talent with consistency issues.

Josh Reed - A good #3 or #4 WR option. Good route runner with good hands. More quick than fast. The type of WR the Pats usually had prior to Moss and Welker

LaDainian Tomlinson - Yeah, I know. Mr. Classy. Not a lead back anymore, but could excel in a Kevin Faulk type role.

And those are just the UFAs. Yeah, none of those guys are as flashy as Peppers or Boldin and many of them are only one or two year stop gaps. But if you can get 4-5 of these guys (very doable), you can significantly upgrade many of the team's weaknesses in multiple areas rather than spending a boatload to fix one area.

These are the type of moves that got the Pats to the Super Bowl in 2001 and to a certain extent in 2003 and 2004. In recent years, many of these types of players have not been available because the cap was such that players didn't release them. It is time for the Pats to go old school and pick up solid veterans who have been shedded from their roster because of salary issues over production issues.

Of those listed I'd love to see them sign:

Mason
One of Chambers, Reed, or Bryant
Foote
Kelly
Holliday
Ogunleye
Clark

Those signings would solve many of the team's pre-draft concerns about lacking depth and improving the leadership/lockerroom.

the difference is that as a 3-4 team, the steelers recognize the importance of having a strong LB group......at some point, this notion got lost on the pats regime
I thought you were one of the people who wanted NE to develop young LBs? :confused2:

Of those listed I'd love to see them sign:

Mason
One of Chambers, Reed, or Bryant
Foote
Kelly
Holliday
Ogunleye
Clark

Those signings would solve many of the team's pre-draft concerns about lacking depth and improving the leadership/lockerroom.

From your list, Holliday and Mason would be solid players in the locker room and offer some playmaking capability on the field. Reed seems like a nice player, but hes a bit underwhelming...

I like Foote, but would be a bit aprehensive in adding him for the reason that we don't want to slow down McKenzie's development.

Last edited:
There you go :cool:
Tank never uses qualifiers like that, he usually just assigns a value sucks or no comment.

As for strong - they are strong enough, they just haven't figured out the judo moves to disengage from a blocker consistently. Guyton was clearly getting better, Mayo I'll be watching to see how well he does starting the season healthy.

Tank never uses qualifiers like that, he usually just assigns a value sucks or no comment.

As for strong - they are strong enough, they just haven't figured out the judo moves to disengage from a blocker consistently. Guyton was clearly getting better, Mayo I'll be watching to see how well he does starting the season healthy.
Woops my bad :D but yeah ILB depth is good and I can't see how it is even close to a priority. Uh oh now I'm going to have the Renaldo McClain followers chasing me off this board...:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes