PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Day One news wrap

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.unionleader.com/article....rticleId=b37cecfd-737f-4ee7-b2ed-1336873cee12
"Yeah, I know what to say," Maroney joked when asked why he seemed so at ease this season after a rookie year that saw his media availability limited by the veterans on the team.

"This is the second one and I know what to expect. I've already been through it so everything isn't new to me," Maroney said. "I didn't get all this media hype (in college) at Minnesota so last year was kind of a little fresh. All y'all in my face, I got a little nervous. Now I'm more comfortable and just have fun with it."
-----
Welker wasted little time impressing the 6,000-plus fans on hand yesterday. He looked sharp and in sync with quarterback Tom Brady. The combo had one of the prettier connections of the day as Welker ran a slant to the outside and caught a perfectly thrown pass over his shoulder on the right sideline.

"Things are going to keep on getting better each day and we'll just keep moving forward," Welker said. "The fan base has been great. They've been very supportive and it's great to see. We're excited about getting better."

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070728/REPOSITORY/707280371/1007/SPORTS
With his team installed among the favorites to win the Super Bowl, he was asked yesterday how he handles such lofty expectations, and his answer was of midseason form.

"Right now what we're trying to do is correct the mistakes from this morning, go in, have a meeting, and put in the stuff we're scheduled to put in this afternoon, and go out and have a good practice. That's really where we're at," he said. "It's one practice after another, it's putting one foot in front of the other. It's day to day right now. There's no light at the end of the tunnel. ... It's about getting better. It's not about expectations, or comparisons, or anything else right now."
-----
With Meriweather in the fold, the Patriots roster features five players from the University of Miami and five from Louisiana State, which are tied as the team's most represented school.

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070728/REPOSITORY/707280372/1007/SPORTS
After passing by the packs that had gathered near the gates, and putting pen to everything from footballs to hats to programs, one more group awaited Laurence Maroney before he left the practice field behind Gillette Stadium yesterday.

And they didn't want autographs. Just answers, specifically on how the halfback's second season would be different without Corey Dillon on hand to help shoulder the burden, and what it was like to be the featured runner of the New England Patriots' offensive attack.

But this time, he wasn't quite so willing to honor the request.

"Ain't nobody said nothing about I was being the feature back," he said, his happy-go-lucky, gap-toothed smile momentarily yielding to more serious humility. "Just a little bit more carries than last year. That's all."

But don't believe the party line. After Dillon's release (and subsequent retirement) it became clear that the former first-round pick had been entrusted to lead the running game, and while Kevin Faulk and Sammy Morris are each adequate NFL veterans, the Pats plan not only on featuring Maroney - but expect him to flourish in the role.

I wouldn't be shocked if Thomas winds up being the Troy Brown of the Patriots defense, meaning he might even tempt the coaches into playing him on the other side of the ball (No. 96 lined up at tight end?).

Don Banks better stay away from Vrabel, as Vrabel will not be pleased at Banks' suggestion of further cutting off his 'crack' supply. :D

Just a not to say thanks, Box. Its easy to get the Globe and Herald stuff, but very often these local papers come up with some good stuff. Keep it coming. :D

Box gets the blue ribbon
for Omnivorous Speed Reading
... and also for
Speed Cut-and-Pasting
and Speed Posting.

An awesome trifecta!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill