PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Day One and Day Two Priorities

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I think we are well positioned, with top value being available to fill our needs at reasonable places in the draft.

DAY ONE

1) My number one priority is to get an additional top CORNER. If we do not sign a potential starter this week, I expect us to draft the best value corner with our first pick, which could be at 13, 21, 30 or somewhere in between.

2) If we sign a corner and not a WIDE RECEIVER, I look for us to look to three wideouts in the first, trading up or down to get our man. I don't think that this will be necessary. We should have traded for a receiver by the time we pick.

3) If we have signed a corner and a receiver, then we are in the NORMAL bb position. We will have a real NEED at linebacker, but one which could be moved to Day Two if necessary, if we think that the group of potential ILB's will be there. I would still go TWEENER in Round One, although other options are certainly now available.

4) We need a top TIGHT END and there are several available around #52.

5) We need yet another WIDE RECEIVER, and there plenty available around 75 when we pick.

6) If we have done the above, an OFFENSIVE LINEMAN comes next in Day One. A backup OT or C are both reasonable.

BOTTOM LINE for this week
1) Corner
2) Wide receiver
3) DE/OLB
4) TE
5) WR
6) OL
===================================
DAY TWO (this all about upgrading depth in the front 7)
1) 1-3 potential linebakckers
2) backup nose tackle
3) returner (wide out or running back)
4) running back (a 6th round returner would be best)
5) kicker (6th round)

mgteich said:
BOTTOM LINE for this week
1) Corner
2) Wide receiver
3) DE/OLB
4) TE
5) WR
6) OL
===================================
DAY TWO (this all about upgrading depth in the front 7)
1) 1-3 potential linebakckers
2) backup nose tackle
3) returner (wide out or running back)
4) running back (a 6th round returner would be best)
5) kicker (6th round)
Mgteich...A really great analysis...While it is optimum to trade and or sign a WR/CB BEFORE the draft, I wonder if this might not be something done later...and if that is the case, how they may/maynot go for those needs first. I agree there is a big drop off of CBs, although on Day two a sleeper may be found. Would they definitely go WR first, when a few good ones can be found later?? The DE/OLB tweener is a BIG need and this is the year there are more than usual. (Are there all that many projected for next year??) This might beb the year for that. TE, absolutely, although I could see Day two early instead. A returner?? Without question...as well as a backup nose. Many LBs..and there are many late Day 1 Day 2. And of course a RB and a kicker..late. They may indeed get an OL Day one as well. Really, a solid analysis, but I wonder if they may throw in a curve ball...a safety, a quarterback or maybe a few more unexpected at one position.

mgteich said:
I think we are well positioned, with top value being available to fill our needs at reasonable places in the draft.

DAY ONE

2) If we sign a corner and not a WIDE RECEIVER, I look for us to look to three wideouts in the first, trading up or down to get our man. I don't think that this will be necessary. We should have traded for a receiver by the time we pick.

I hope you are right - and furthermore I'm beginning to also feel like one of the top 2 WRs will be there at #21 if we want them.

As I've said before, we're generally looking to fill our WR needs via the draft or trades. As far as trades go, we need to make that happen BEFORE we pick in the draft, otherwise we are no longer dealing from a position of power.

If we expect to trade for a #2 WR and haven't taken one of the top tier WRs, other GMs will take one look at our roster and make their asking price very high. However, a trade before the draft ensures that we retain the credibility to play hardball ourselves, with other GMs knowing that we can draft a WR at #21 or even trade up.

But as of now, when it comes to a trade, we're not dealing from a position of strength

There are at least three #2 wide receivers being shopped. All should be trade this week. The patriot are in the mix on all of them. All we can do is hope and trust, but if we fail, we WILL draft two wideouts on the first day, and one likely in the first round.

mgteich said:
There are at least three #2 wide receivers being shopped. All should be trade this week. The patriot are in the mix on all of them. All we can do is hope and trust, but if we fail, we WILL draft two wideouts on the first day, and one likely in the first round.

Are you privy to any names?

zippo59 said:
Are you privy to any names?

Walker--GB
Lelie--Denver
Stallworth--NO

could probably add Charlie Rogers--Det to this list...

I'd offer NO a 2006 #4 or a 2007 #3 (conditional) for Stallworth--he's the best of that lot IMO

Flying Fungi said:
Walker--GB
Lelie--Denver
Stallworth--NO

I'd offer NO a 2006 #4 or a 2007 #3 (conditional) for Stallworth--he's the best of that lot IMO

The only ones I could see or would want on the Pats is Stallworth and maybe Rogers. Lelie is unrealistic about his abilities and Walker wants big moeny and his agent is Rosenhaus. Enough said

zippo59 said:
The only ones I could see or would want on the Pats is Stallworth and maybe Rogers. Lelie is unrealistic about his abilities and Walker wants big moeny and his agent is Rosenhaus. Enough said

yup

but they are out there nonetheless...

the 2007 would need to be a 2,3 or 4 depending on production.

Flying Fungi said:
Walker--GB
Lelie--Denver
Stallworth--NO

Most emphatically i disagree about a 1st-round corner!
It would be a nice pickup ... but we do not NEED one. In the draft forum, i've explained that i think our secondary roster is strong now ... and anyway, with a dominating front 7, a merely workmanlike secondary suffices.

From then on ... we are in total agreement ... as my draft posts indicate.

But i see us taking only 7 or 8 guys next weekend.

known quantities

Flying Fungi said:
Walker--GB
Lelie--Denver
Stallworth--NO
what these WRs can do, who they are, is known. if the best predictor of future performance is past performance, then we know these guys' past performances.
i'm leery about 1st-round WRs. i don't see a 2nd-round steal in this draft, a la twig, unless BB/SP are willing to take another short receiver.
WR by trade or as FA this summer seems better to me than drafting one of the so-called studs in a high round.
IMO we can be sure tha BB/SP know everything that can be known about Stovall, from weis. if they pick him it'll be because weis loves him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back