PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Day 3 Observations from Reiss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found it interesting when Reiss was talking about Vereen as he made it seem like there would be one main RB. This set of RB's to me (and I mean no disrespect) seems like they would be better suited as a committee. I wonder if we will ever see a true #1 RB in again in the Belichick era?

Good to see Edelman showing up. I'm convinced he just hasn't had a chance. Kid doesn't get on the field cause Welker won't leave it.

Yes it is very good to see. I still believe that Edelman can be one of the better players of the future, particularly if Welker is not here next year. I do not believe that they are on the same level, but Edelman has certainly proven to be shifty--much like Welker. He is younger, will come much cheaper if/when re-signed, and may be able to be the slot guy of the future.

Yes, there will likely be a dropoff, but that's to be expected as Welker is a very special talent.

One of the keys (as we've all heard) is getting rid of the player a year early, rather than a year too late. This is particularly true when the player is making 10 million dollars a season. Production in the slot may slip, but we have also seen Edelman make the most out of the few chances that he's had, specifically in the playoff game vs BAL in the 2009 season.

Edelman has not shown a great talent in running intermediate routes, therefore he has not produced when given limited opportunities. The same holds true for why he has not gained TB's trust. That situation may be different however, if asked to run quick, shallow routes out of the slot, as he seemed to do just fine in the playoff game.

The point is that I still believe that Edelman is the kind of guy that Belichick likes to have on his team, I still believe that he has more upside than we've seen, and I still believe that he may even take over some of the slot duties next year. Hernandez will likely play a bigger role too, so the duties may be split between the two, but in my opinion I never once saw Edelman "on the bubble" as some here claimed in the offseason.

I found it interesting when Reiss was talking about Vereen as he made it seem like there would be one main RB. This set of RB's to me (and I mean no disrespect) seems like they would be better suited as a committee. I wonder if we will ever see a true #1 RB in again in the Belichick era?

So far we've seen RBBC lately, but that also may be due to some of the limitations and specific skillsets of the other backs, which is what I personally believe.

Remember that Dillon was primarily the main back while here. I think if Belichick saw the kind of RB that was good with the ball, ran effectively enough, could pick up the blitz (very important), was affordable, and could even have the potential to snag a few passes on 3rd down, we may see a 'lead' RB again.

If someone steps up and can properly do all of those things while being affordable and staying healthy, then yes--I do believe that we could certainly see another #1 RB here. The problem is that we haven't had the luxury of having all of those positive traits, and so BB is doing the best with what he has to work with the past handful of seasons.

Yes it is very good to see. I still believe that Edelman can be one of the better players of the future, particularly if Welker is not here next year. I do not believe that they are on the same level, but Edelman has certainly proven to be shifty--much like Welker. He is younger, will come much cheaper if/when re-signed, and may be able to be the slot guy of the future.

Yes, there will likely be a dropoff, but that's to be expected as Welker is a very special talent.

One of the keys (as we've all heard) is getting rid of the player a year early, rather than a year too late. This is particularly true when the player is making 10 million dollars a season. Production in the slot may slip, but we have also seen Edelman make the most out of the few chances that he's had, specifically in the playoff game vs BAL in the 2009 season.

Edelman has not shown a great talent in running intermediate routes, therefore he has not produced when given limited opportunities. The same holds true for why he has not gained TB's trust. That situation may be different however, if asked to run quick, shallow routes out of the slot, as he seemed to do just fine in the playoff game.

The point is that I still believe that Edelman is the kind of guy that Belichick likes to have on his team, I still believe that he has more upside than we've seen, and I still believe that he may even take over some of the slot duties next year. Hernandez will likely play a bigger role too, so the duties may be split between the two, but in my opinion I never once saw Edelman "on the bubble" as some here claimed in the offseason.

I agree with everything outside of Edelman is not on the bubble (theoretically anyway). Wr's galore, db help, plenty of young bodies fit for st play. ..Edelman and Slater both have plenty of competition this year. While I think bb has a soft spot for Edelman, I think it is certainly within the realm of reason that he doesn't make the team. Don't get me wrong, I love the kid and hope he is our next troy brown type mediocre-plus, versatile, pats lifer.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

The rbs seemed too have some problems. I believe that it has something to do with our oline which is really scrappy right now. If Vollmer, Mankins and Waters return then it will be good, but until then I would not blame the rbs for not being able to score on goalline situations.

Edelman's chances of making the roster, which already were high, are higher yet with Welker not being signed long-term.

Another important notable is how many reps Donte Stallworth is getting on special teams kickoff returns. This role is being rotated between Chung, Stallworth, Ridley, and Vereen. This could possibly help Stallworth get a leg up on Branch.

This tidbid from Curran had me a bit giddy:

The coaches are cognizant of Dont'a Hightower's power. It showed up - despite advance warning - when tight ends were doing a blocking drill and Gronk almost got flipped over backwords.

Postcards from Camp: Day 3

My God. Sounds like Hulk vs. the Abomination:

hulk1.jpg

From Reiss' Quick Hits today:

1. Taking a temperature on the Patriots' defense three days into training camp, there looks like legitimate hope and promise for a stronger front seven with multiple encouraging pass-rushing options. But the lingering question of whether enough reinforcements were added in the secondary remains.

2. I think defensive lineman Ron Brace quietly has put together his best start to training camp with the Patriots. The 2009 second-round draft choice forced a fumble on Friday, and I watched him give Dan Connolly, arguably the Patriots' best lineman to date, fits in a one-on-one drill Saturday. It hasn't all been perfect (Brace jumped offsides at one point), but he's caught the eye.

7. Patriots defensive end Jermaine Cunningham, the 2010 second-round draft choice who dipped in 2011 after a promising rookie season, looks more explosive than he did last season (on Saturday, I saw him get the edge on Marcus Cannon and bend to the cone that would have been the quarterback). He's not going down without a fight, working at left end in the team's four-man line. It seems like a good fit for him in the defense the Patriots have been running.

Quick-hit thoughts around NFL & Pats - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

I agree with everything outside of Edelman is not on the bubble (theoretically anyway). Wr's galore, db help, plenty of young bodies fit for st play. ..Edelman and Slater both have plenty of competition this year. While I think bb has a soft spot for Edelman, I think it is certainly within the realm of reason that he doesn't make the team. Don't get me wrong, I love the kid and hope he is our next troy brown type mediocre-plus, versatile, pats lifer.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Agreed and the numbers tell us that he is on the bubble.

Everytime hes in with the regular offense he doesn't make plays. Hes not a DB. He finished 42nd in KR return yardage and for players who had 28 returns or more was #17 in yardage and only took one for longer than 20 yards and had 3 fumbles.

Sorry folks. I like JE but with the depth they have at WR and DB, hes in for a fight to save his job.

Last edited:
Also nice to see Dowling and Chung playing physical as well in going after Ridley.

Maybe they are the Wonder Twins? :D

Yeah, there were some nice comments on that yesterday. NE Patriots' Draft noted:

The two players who practice the hardest on a daily basis are Patrick Chung and Stevan Ridley. The go full speed in each drill and are consistantly the first ones to finish sprints. Their paths collided on Saturday when Ridley was tackled to the ground after the play by Chung. It was one of the bigger hits in camp and Chung had to run a penalty lap because of it.

Patriots Training Camp: 15 Things That Stood out on Saturday | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2013 NFL Draft

That play apparently came right after the Dowling hit on Ridley:

On consecutive plays, Stevan Ridley got banged to the ground by defenders. Ras-I Dowling's hit at the end of a running play seemed incidental. Patrick Chung hog-tied Ridley and threw him down. Bill Belichick told Chung to go run around the opposite goal post after that hit.

Postcards from Camp: Day 3

Dowling sounds very physical. IIRC, there was a report the other day that he stood up Gronk with his press coverage, not an easy thing for a CB to day.

Dowling sounds very physical. IIRC, there was a report the other day that he stood up Gronk with his press coverage, not an easy thing for a CB to day.

If Dowling can stay healthy, he will be the starter opposite DMc. Hes a big kid for a CB. As long as he uses good technique, no one is getting out of his jam.

I hope Ridley can hang onto the ball. He had a very good rookie year and is the type of runner than defenses need to respect so the don't tee off on Brady and flood the secondary with 6-7 players in the secondary consistiently.

Last edited:
Dowling was a first round lock his Junior season, the kid has real talent, coming out of a good program. His injury was the only thing that shunted him down, and even then many thought he might still have gone in the first round. He's a H/W/S guy with ball skills. I just hope he can stay healthy.

Dowling was a first round lock his Junior season, the kid has real talent, coming out of a good program. His injury was the only thing that shunted him down, and even then many thought he might still have gone in the first round. He's a H/W/S guy with ball skills. I just hope he can stay healthy.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like he's still learning how to use his length and strength effectively. He sounds like he can be a bit awkward at times, but once he learns how to put it together he really could be special if he can stay healthy.

Edelman's chances of making the roster, which already were high, are higher yet with Welker not being signed long-term.

Why would that have anything to do with Edelman making the cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots