Day 3 Observations from Reiss

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:
RBs usually don't have much of a learning curve when entering the NFL so that's not a good sign for Vereen. Thankfully we drafted 2 last year.

I'm also surprised about Bequette. All he does is rush the passer. I wonder if BB is asking him to do more and he's thinking too much.

Reiss has confirmed elsewhere that Francis' knee injury was actually just cramp.

Speaking of Vereen and the RB corp- the practice didn't really end on a good note. They did goal line situational football. Ridley was 0 for 2, and Vereen was 1 for 2. He scored off the edge but then fumbled the ball on the next carry up the middle.

Otherwise a solid practice. The offense is really in sync, and of course it's too early to tell how they'll handle coverage-dictated routes, but it was really refreshing to see them execute without error. No balls sailing over anyone's head, nobody holding out their hands, palms up, in that "who, me?" posture.

One thing that stood out to me is that Hernandez is running many of the same routes Welker did, including lining up in the slot, and that makes me think that a possible scenario is that they may let elect to let Welker go after this season in order to be able to lock up Hernandez long term.

that makes me think that a possible scenario is that they may let elect to let Welker go after this season in order to be able to lock up Hernandez long term.
There is no question that if given the mandate to trade one or the other it will be the old guy. I think they can retain Wes with an 11.4 million dollar franchise tag next year, and they should unless somebody like Hernandez demands a rewrite at too much dough. In that case go with Hernandez. Definitely. Definitely do not let that kid go. Don't forget he reached 79 balls in only 14 games playing next to a ball hog named Gronk. This kid is ultra slick and could out Gronk Gronk if given the opportunity.

What happens if Gronk missing the two games? I think we see a double back flip with the league going gaga over Hernandez. Well, unless it's Lloyd's year. Something tells me Lloyd is going to change the dynamics completely.

Reading about how well Lloyd is doing here so far is so very, very awesome. I wish I could go to training camp again and see it in person.

I love that Ihedigbo is already pretending to be injured. That is commitment to the craft.

Bedard's up too: Practice rundown #3 - Extra Points - Boston.com

Undrafted rookie RB Brandon Bolden continued to open eyes with his all-around play, including the biggest run of the day in team drills. He reminds more and more each day of another former undrafted player, BenJarvus Green-Ellis. Real good body control and vision.

While we’re a long way from having a definitive answer on how much first round-pick Chandler Jones will contribute as a rookie, he got off to a very good start in the first padded practice. Not only was he a perfect 3-0 in the one-on-one drill, Jones did a nice job being physical and active during 11-on-11s. It wasn’t perfect – Jones got turned around once and gave up leverage a few times – but an impressive day.

Also had some effusive praise for Fanene.

WLB Jerod Mayo has been the best defensive player through three days as he continues to grow into the playmaking role the Patriots have carved out for him.

I love that Ihedigbo is already pretending to be injured. That is commitment to the craft.

James seems to get injured in the locker room prior to even hitting the field. I don't mind him as camp fodder, possibly even as a last resort safety who likely won't see the field. His competition should be increased tremendously with T.Wilson, Gregory, a healthy Chung, Barrett, and now Will Allen; so my guess is that he's on the outside looking in and will be here to take the brunt of the TC reps.

Hope all is well Dave, take care buddy.

I try and read them all but they are at times either at odds with each other or saw things differently or didn't all see the same thing or all focused on one or two things...

I really miss Mrs. B. She was a just the facts mam set of eyes on the practice field who didn't miss much and didn't bring a lot of preconceived notions to the mix.

I understand it is early and I shouldn't say anything negative ... but the secondary seems to be allowing the pass completions as if there are DB's on the field. I think the offense had the same number of incompletions when they were practicing against air (due to over/under thrown or drop passes).

Camp Observations: Day 3 - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Looks like Justin Francis may be done for the season.. Hopefully it's only a sprain, but gut is telling me it's more.. We'll have to wait and see.

Good breakdown of the 1 on 1 drills..

And though its early, Vereen isn't showing alot. A least to Reiss.

Interesting about Vereen, but I tend to take Reiss's player analysis with a grain of salt. I tend to lean toward Bedard and now Field Yates as well when it comes to analyzing the players as they seem to be a bit more accurate.

James seems to get injured in the locker room prior to even hitting the field. I don't mind him as camp fodder, possibly even as a last resort safety who likely won't see the field. His competition should be increased tremendously with T.Wilson, Gregory, a healthy Chung, Barrett, and now Will Allen; so my guess is that he's on the outside looking in and will be here to take the brunt of the TC reps.

Hope all is well Dave, take care buddy.

Thanks Supa, same to you bud. We're hanging in there and having a pretty OK summer. Take care.

Lloyd was my FA binkey and it looks good so far.

It's good to see your sharp wit working. Hope time is making each day a little easier. (hope this is right) Itchem betzarchem.

RBs usually don't have much of a learning curve when entering the NFL so that's not a good sign for Vereen. Thankfully we drafted 2 last year.

I'm also surprised about Bequette. All he does is rush the passer. I wonder if BB is asking him to do more and he's thinking too much.

That's how Bruschi started out. It will take time for him to develop but he needs to do at least one thing very well to make the 45.

Agreed...........

That's how Bruschi started out. It will take time for him to develop but he needs to do at least one thing very well to make the 45.

Last edited:
I strongly disagree. Bequette will make the team even if he does nothing well, even if he is expected to inactive in every game. We can afford to have a developmental player or two on the 53 man squad, especially a 3rd rounder. We only suit up 46, after all.
I strongly disagree with your disagreeing. I think you're both in agreement. Read his post again. ;)

Last edited:
Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing. I edited my post. :)

I strongly disagree with your disagreeing. I think you're both in agreement. Read his post again. ;)

Good to see Edelman showing up. I'm convinced he just hasn't had a chance. Kid doesn't get on the field cause Welker won't leave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back