PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Day 2 thoughts

DocE

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
So 7 picks on Day 2 including 4 in Round 3. I don't think they make all 7 picks, but there are still some good players out there. I really feel like Jarron Gilbert is the only really good 3-4 DE left, but will the Pats even take another Dlineman? Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Brace, Wright, and Green seem like locks for the team, so I am not sure there is room.

DE possibilities: Jarron Gilbert, Everette Pedescleaux, Pannel Egboh, Ra'Shon Harris

I know everybody wants LB's, but I see a better chance of an ILB being drafted than an OLB as there doesn't seem to be many good prospects left. I could see the Patriots taking an ILB that doesn't exactly fit the system as their next Larry Izzo too.

ILB possibilities: Jasper Brinkley, Tyrone McKenzie, Scott McKillop, Jason Williams, Nick Reed

"Izzo special teams ace" types: Moise Fokou, Stanley Arnoux

OLB possibility: Henry Melton

I certainly don't think there is room for another CB on day 2, but I could see the Patriots taking a safety though it seems unlikely given I count 9 near locks for secondary.

S possibilities: DeAngelo Willingham, Chris Clemons, Brandon Underwood

I could see the Patriots taking a QB, especially if they get stuck with a 3rd rounder that they can't move.

QB possibilities: Stephen McGee, Rhett Bomar
Wildcat possibility: Julian Edelman

I see the Pats possibly looking for Faulks replacement or adding a bigger back to the roster.

Pass catching back: Devin Moore, Cedric Peerman, Mike Goodson

Big back: Andre Brown, Rashad Jennings

I like the receiving TE's and they are all available after round 2 which seems like quite an upset. I think the guys I list all have a good shot at being an upgrade over David Thomas, because they can stretch the field.

Receiving TE's: Shawn Nelson, Cornilius Ingram, Jared Cook, James Casey

With the addition of Vollmer, I don't see the Patriots taking another tackle, but I do see them adding a guard.

Guard possibilities: Jamon Meredith, TJ Lang, Rich Ohmberger, Andrew Gardner

With as many WR's as the Patriots worked out, I feel confident that they will take one on day 2. With the addition of Butler, they have yet another player who can return, so I think they could afford to take a pure WR to develop.

WR possibilities: Juaquin Igelesias, Louis Murphy, Mike Wallace, Mike Thomas, Johny Knox, Brandon Tate, Eron Riley

I also think LS Jake Ingram might be on the radar as I am not sure the Pats are married to Nate Hodel.

Last edited:
Great job, but I would add Brian Hoyer of Michigan State whom the Patriots have privately worked out.

He's immobile but has arm strength and intelligence to groom as a serviceable backup, along with a terrific work ethic. Football is his priority.

Here is Brandt's list of best available...

Still some good players left for Day Two

ESPN Draft Cast has their list of best available in one of the boxes.
NFL DraftCast 2009 - ESPN

Top 10
Name Position School
D.J. Moore CB VANDERBILT
Rashad Johnson S ALABAMA
Cornelius Ingram TE FLORIDA
Lawrence Sidbury DE RICHMOND
Shawn Nelson TE SO MISS
Jared Cook TE S CAROLINA
Michael Johnson DE GA TECH
Jarron Gilbert DT SAN JOSE ST
Shonn Greene RB IOWA
Jamon Meredith OT S CAROLINA

I still like Rashad Johnson (and Gilbert). 10 defensive backs are not too many if they are ST demons as are Butler, Chung and Rashad Johnson. Gosselin has Johnson as the best kick coverage player in the draft.

Great job, but I would add Brian Hoyer of Michigan State whom the Patriots have privately worked out.

He's immobile but has arm strength and intelligence to groom as a serviceable backup, along with a terrific work ethic. Football is his priority.

Yup... agreed... but I wonder if he's still around by next pick...

I like how you had McKenzie, Tate, and Ohrnberger on your list. Good job.

I'm still disappointed we didn't go after some of the other guys more aggressively, but overall I'm pretty satisfied with the draft. I'm hoping we add Julian Edelman and Rashad Jennings before it's all said and done, but we'll see how it shakes out. Man, this is such an exciting weekend!

Agree. Great job of forecasting.

I still like Rashad Johnson (and Gilbert). 10 defensive backs are not too many if they are ST demons as are Butler, Chung and Rashad Johnson. Gosselin has Johnson as the best kick coverage player in the draft.

I have seen Alabama a bunch of times and that is 100% correct.

However remember Chung is one of the best gunners in college football this past season.

I'm disappointed now that all of the top TE's are gone.

I think that at least 1 of those guys had the chance to be great

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back