PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Day 2 ILB Prospects: Oliver Hoyte, Anthony Schlegel, Kai Parham

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
All are big (Hoyte 6’2.5†245, Schlegel 6’0.5†250, Parham 6’3’’ 256) run stuffing 3-4 ILB prospects. Hoyte is the most vicious tackler; Parham the best pass rusher; Schlegel may have the best intangibles. Which one would you take on Day 2, if any?

I like Schlegal myself but there's a boatload of TJ type run stoppers that should go from the 3rd to 7th round.

I like scHlegal, of those three. I also Like Dobbins and Chute on the 2nd day.

If Parnham is still around in the 4-6 rounds , grab him and run to the bank. We just made a nice steal.

I'm in favor of using a third or fourth round pick to bring in Donnie Edwards as opposed to a rookie. Then pick up a rookie flyer in the late rounds and try to coach him up for 2008. Maybe a guy like Victor Adeyanju, Will Derting, or Clint Ingram if guys like Wilkerson, Dobbins, McGarigle, Havner, and Schlegel are all off the board by the fifth.

Last edited:
Oliver Hoyte if we still have a second 3rd round pick would be solid or we jumped up to get him late 3rd round. Saw them play on tv 3 times this past year and he made his teammates better. I think Schlegel benefited from Hawk and Carpenter and Parham I'm not sold on between the ears.

Dryheat knows his stuff

I agree, bring in Donnie Edwards. I also like Will Derting, saw him play a couple years ago and he was all over the field, down and dirty. Looked like a Pats player to me.

Derting is (was) great. I think he is someone BB was talking about as being one of those players it's hard to evaluate becase they've missed a lot of time due to injury. If his speed and agility has returned then grab him.

He was a certain early first rounder after his sophomore year.

I like Hoyte. The Pats brought him in for an interview recently and Dean Pees spent some time with him discussing the 3-4 allignment and some of the plays. Hoyte, according to Pees, had a natural feel for the defense and where everyone on the field was supposed to be.

I think there are a number they can find..I don't have one in particular..although I like McGarigle...more for his smarts...but there are a number of ways to go and BE OK!! AND that is good!!

Clonamery said:
I think Schlegel benefited from Hawk and Carpenter
Many believe the opposite to be true, especially in Carpenter's case. That Schlegal was the Bruschi of the defense, getting the calls right and getting everyone in the right spot.

Hoyte is projected UDFA. Parham is mixed, but some have him as UDFA.

Way too slow. OL type slow.

So I doubt we draft them in the 3rd or 4th.

mcbee said:

I love when people talk about the speed of MLB, especially in a 3-4 defense. How far do these guys have to run? They play in a short area. The biggest thing for a MLB in a 3-4 is taking on blocks. How fast was Ted Johnson? If I remember correctly, he did pretty good here. Speed at MLB is the most overrated thing in the world. I'll take toughness and physical play over a 4.6 40 in the middle any day.

Maybe you're right, but then they end up being a 2 down player. Which TJ was I guess.

I thought he was actually pretty fast at one point.

PonyExpress said:
All are big (Hoyte 6’2.5†245, Schlegel 6’0.5†250, Parham 6’3’’ 256) run stuffing 3-4 ILB prospects. Hoyte is the most vicious tackler; Parham the best pass rusher; Schlegel may have the best intangibles. Which one would you take on Day 2, if any?

Looks like Patriots.com agrees with you. Man, they love Hoyte.

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=16110&pcid=46

mcbee said:

Parham was placed occassionallly at OLB where he had 8 sacks, so he must play faster than he tested. He would be a steal anywhere after the 3rd.

Clonamery said:
Oliver Hoyte if we still have a second 3rd round pick would be solid or we jumped up to get him late 3rd round. Saw them play on tv 3 times this past year and he made his teammates better. I think Schlegel benefited from Hawk and Carpenter and Parham I'm not sold on between the ears.

Hoyte amazed Coach Pees with his football knowledge.
Parham graduated and got his degree in 3.5 years. h ecan't be too dumb.
Schlegal was admittedto the AF Academy and is majoringing in Engineering at OSU. He calls the plays and sets Hawk and Carp, and wahtmore, he get them to follow his lead. After being downgraded fro speed jhe turend in a 4.72 at OSU proday, best of the three guys.

If you are going to free up Vrabel to go outside, I think you must have the inside guy be someone who learns from Bruschi and then can eventually take over the play calling/postion setting role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes