PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dawkins fined for spearing Welker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

everlong

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I haven't seen any news on this but if Dawkins doesn't have to cough up at least 15K for that spear then the entire system is a flipping joke. He paused and drove the crown of his helmet directly into the the lower center of his back.

I haven't seen any news on this but if Dawkins doesn't have to cough up at least 15K for that spear then the entire system is a flipping joke. He paused and drove the crown of his helmet directly into the the lower center of his back.

Agree. I saw it as a spear at the time.

For some reason spearing is rarely called, though we see it all the time.

Can he still be fined if he wasn't penalized ?

Yes..............

but that would mean the NFL would be admitting to a mistake. Welker isn't a cry baby so they would never take a proactive approach like that.

I don't remember the details but I know they've fined Rodney for plays that didn't draw flags. Dawkins has been hit with some hefty fines in the past so it's not beyond the league to do it. They didn't fine Clark last year even though that ball was uncatchable so who knows.

IIRC Wilfork has been fined for non-flagged plays too.

Headlines - Story - 10/31 Eagles Dawkins Fined $50,000 for Misuse of Helmet - Giants.com

October 31, 2002

Philadelphia Eagles safety BRIAN DAWKINS has been fined $50,000 for the misuse of his helmet last Monday on New York Giants wide receiver IKE HILLIARD, the NFL announced today.

NFL Director of Football Operations GENE WASHINGTON issued the fine, noting in a letter to Dawkins that on a pass play, “you unnecessarily struck your opponent in the shoulder and chest area with the crown of your helmet.”

more....

I hope this cost him at least 50K.

Maybe they meant to fine Dawkins and accidentally fine Merriweather instead? Jebus the fines are crazy lately. The guy who speared McNabb in the back wasn't fined either, was he?

So, after watching the game tapes, they fined Meriweather for taunting, but not Dawkins for spearing? What a joke. I sincerely hope that the league is just late in getting to this. Welker could have been seriously injured on a needless, not to mention illegal, hit.

It's becoming a joke when Ben Watson can get a fine for putting the ball in his jersey and pointing at the sky to show love for his newborn but Dawkins gets nothing for what could cause a serious injury. Even the Bronco forums admitted it was spearing and was probably going to draw a fine. I hate this commissioner.

So, after watching the game tapes, they fined Meriweather for taunting, but not Dawkins for spearing? What a joke. I sincerely hope that the league is just late in getting to this. Welker could have been seriously injured on a needless, not to mention illegal, hit.

It's becoming a joke when Ben Watson can get a fine for putting the ball in his jersey and pointing at the sky to show love for his newborn but Dawkins gets nothing for what could cause a serious injury. Even the Bronco forums admitted it was spearing and was probably going to draw a fine. I hate this commissioner.
I wish these rules applied in real life...just imagine, you could go all vicious ass kicking on somebody and get in less trouble than just giving them the finger....damn, my morning commute would be soooo much better!

Last edited:
Yep, the commish is pathetic again....lets fine the BS and allow the intent to injure stuff....'
We'll show'em that we're real Fart Smellers

I agree that SPEARING is the penalty that seems to go under the radar, and IMHO its one of the few penalties that I'd like to see called more. Not only does it pose a danger to the player who is hit...it can cause even more serious damage to the fool that does the spearing.

Hitting with the crown of the helmet puts the user in serious jeopardy of neck and spinal damage. Hitting with the face mask puts the player in the safest body position to protect his neck and spine from damage. WAY TOO many players these days tackle with their head DOWN...and way to many players are getting hurt...NEEDLESSLY, simply because they aren't practicing the simple FUNDAMENTALS of proper tackling. So not only would they tackle better they'd be safer doing it.

This is a pet peeve of mine (poor tackling), and the league could help in this issue by being more vigilant in calling the spearing penalty

You don't understand what an emotional scar taunting leaves.

You don't understand what an emotional scar taunting leaves.

LMAO....................................................................:D

That should be enough dots to stop the "message too short" idiocy

Helmet spear to the spine of a receiver with his back turned - no flag or fine.

Borderline tackle to someone going for a ball - flag (for "taunting" but before said infraction occurs) and fine.

Got it. Gooddell sure is awesome.

Maybe I'm wrong but doesn't the complaintant HC have to send video to the league on this stuff or does the league review every play of every game themselves?

Broncos have been leading with their helmets for a many many seasons. Nothing is ever done to stop it.

MikeReiss @burblesh Not sure if Brian Dawkins got fined for that hit on Welker. He was not penalized for the hit. Welker was still sore on Wednesday.

Reiss replied to me on Twitter about the hit. No new info but I'm assuming if he doesn't know that means Dawkins got away with a cheap shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots