PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

David Thomas traded, per Schefter for 2011 7th (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: A 2011 7th rounder for David Thomas

I wonder if it could change based on Thomas' play this season?

And then they trade for Michael Matthews? Pointless.

How is it pointless? Many people thought Thomas would be an instant cut before TC, now he gets us a draft pick back in return and let's the team trade for a blocking TE after his trade.

Which this team actually sorely needs with Watson not a great blocker and Baker brought in more for his catching than blocking as well.

So taking a bubble guy many thought would be cut and turning him into a blocking TE that will be useful I would hardly call pointless or worthless.

A Smith however is another story and that just was a bad move.

Last edited:
how many times has BB drafted TE and missed. imean graham and watson were decent but really not tony gonzalez. thomas i believe had good chance to become one and he was quite good in texas but has hardly played with brady ....
i really dont get this...

How many Tony Gonzales' have you seen in your life?
OK, now ask yourself how many TE's have been drafted since you started paying attention..........

Your answer is in there somewhere........

What happened to the 'best TE competition we've ever had?'

Two of the 4 are cut and we sign a guy from another team. One of the guys who makes the team (no surprise, but still) hadn't even been a part of competition, since he was injured.

So, apparently, that great competition turned out to be Chris Baker and no one else.

And then they trade for Michael Matthews? Pointless.

Exactly how many GOOD BLOCKING TE's have the Pats had since Graham left?
Don't you think the Pats could have used someone like him since he's been gone?
I do, I think we would have won another had he been part of the team, Kyle Brady was trusted to fill that role, and he BLEW IT badly right when he was needed most.

What happened to the 'best TE competition we've ever had?'

Two of the 4 are cut and we sign a guy from another team. One of the guys who makes the team (no surprise, but still) hadn't even been a part of competition, since he was injured.

So, apparently, that great competition turned out to be Chris Baker and no one else.

No, it turned out to be Watson, Baker, and Matthews, which is the best mix and depth of TE talent that we've had since Graham left.

No, it turned out to be Watson, Baker, and Matthews, which is the best mix and depth of TE talent that we've had since Graham left.
We thought that about Watson, Baker, Thomas and Smith, two of whom are now gone. I still remember the excitement over Smith, he of the 5th round pick. So let's hold the enthusiasm until we've seen Matthews play.

In the grand scheme of things, isn't this a win for Thomas? He gets to play for a team that might, you know, actually throw the ball his way once in a while. . . .

Last edited:
We thought that about Watson, Baker, Thomas and Smith, two of whom are now gone. I still remember the excitement over Smith, he of the 5th round pick. So let's hold the enthusiasm until we've seen Matthews play.

Did you watch the 2007 SB? Then you saw Matthews play; he was a big part of the Giants' power running game, which was only one of the best in the league, and is known for being very, very good at blocking at the point of attack. He compliments Ben Watson's strengths very well, which you could never say for Thomas. And he's our #3 either way, so he doesn't have to be awesome. He's quality depth who can fill an important niche role- wtf else do you want from your #3?

Everyone agreed that Watson, Baker, Thomas, Smith was an impressive mix of overall talent, but plenty of people remarked that there was a shortage of blocking in that group. Who would have been the primary run-blocker in that group? Thomas? Matthews shores up that issue better than any TE on our roster could.

Baker: versatility- blocks a little, runs a little, catches a little
Watson: Extremely athletic, can line up as a WR in 4WR sets, stretches the middle of the field, reasonable blocker
Matthews: Good overall blocker, exceptional run-blocker

That's a great mix.

Last edited:
7th, 5th, nothing... it's all good.

New rule in Foxborough : put up or ship out. They don't care about your name, your potential, your draft position. Show us whatcha got.

I think you're off on including "potential", but other than that this is an old rule.

yay, he blew the colts game.

Why 2011 and not 2010? Drafting all these TE over the years was such a waste. I rather of seen LB and DB used with those picks.

That's what I was wondering. I'm betting that whoever made the initial report made a mistake and then all the subsequent reports cited that initial report without realizing the mistake.

There's no way BB would make a trade for a pick in a draft two years away.

I've never understood those that favored Thomas over Watson. Thomas has never done a thing.

I think getting Matthews is huge. Graham has been sorely missed since his departure to Denver and we have needed a replacement. Graham could spring some great runs with key blocking and I think this guy has that same ability.

Now, Thomas for a 7th stings a little considering the pick/time invested in him. But hey, thats the shakes, Baby.

I think getting Matthews is huge. Graham has been sorely missed since his departure to Denver and we have needed a replacement. Graham could spring some great runs with key blocking and I think this guy has that same ability.

Now, Thomas for a 7th stings a little considering the pick/time invested in him. But hey, thats the shakes, Baby.

on the Giants boards, they seem to think very well of Matthews. seems to be a real strong blocker. i look forward

I presume that he would be a solid blocker on the return teams.

on the Giants boards, they seem to think very well of Matthews. seems to be a real strong blocker. i look forward

Why 2011 and not 2010? Drafting all these TE over the years was such a waste. I rather of seen LB and DB used with those picks.

We all would have. However, instead of *****ing about it, why don't you stop and think about the fact that BB and Pioli clearly felt that there were issues with particular LBs and DBs that they chose to not draft them? Or are they not allowed to have their needs/wants in a player? Or should they just grab a guy who is totally uncoachable, or isn't intelligent enough or just doesn't fit the scheme??

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Heres a clue He cant catch or block and hes turn over and injury prone, and had the nerve to hold out his rookie year, besides that hes super

I love when people just make sh!t up.... Shows just how clueless they really are..

Watson has averaged 34.5 receptions over the last 4 years. He has a TOTAL of 6 fumbles.

Watson held of training camp on the advice of Super Agent, Tom Condon. As soon as Watson dropped Condon, he was in camp in a matter of a couple of days..

Watson has developed into an average blocker. Is he Daniel Graham or Kyle Brady? Nope.. But he's not a turnstile either.

iam as big a fan of BB as anyone but sometimes he gets an easy pass throwing away picks and releasing draft picks
k oconnel, richard,thomas,smith all cost draft picks and gone before even seeing significant timeon the field.

Thomas saw plenty of time on the field. Smith showed that he had nothing during pre-season.

Richard was a 7th rounder.. WOW.. BB is such an idiot for cutting him :rolleyes:

O'Connell. who knows why he was let go. Other than he didn't play well this year and he didn't seem to be taking the 3rd game very seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes