PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

David Thomas traded, per Schefter for 2011 7th (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little surprised Thomas was traded instead of Watson.

Alex Smith real suck beinng a Pat...looking forward for the season

Head is swimming working all this out in my head. The beer does not help.

Matthews is a pure blocking TE, yeah? Good, we could use one of those. I'm liking that swap.

Me too... this might work out really well.....

I'm a little surprised Thomas was traded instead of Watson.

Watson barely played in the preseason so he wasn't "showcased" to any teams whereas Thomas has and played well.

Plus if Watson has a somewhat decent year a team could take a flier on him as a FA and if it's a big enough contract the Pats get a comp pick the next year barring them signing any big FA's.

that's my take at least on why the shipped out Thomas vs Watson who I wold of rather seen go myself as well.

Last edited:
Didn't see that coming - I was expecting both Thomas and Watson on the team.

I've got no idea how good Mitchell is - but as far as Thomas, while he looked a lot better at times the coaches know much more than we do, and see much more (a la Matt Cassel) so none of us are going to question the move.

Awesome, so our LB corps is likely cemented as Watson, Baker, Matthews. Great mix of talent, IMO. I know a lot of people here wanted Watson gone, but I still don't get why. He's a good TE,.

Heres a clue He cant catch or block and hes turn over and injury prone, and had the nerve to hold out his rookie year, besides that hes super

Heres a clue He cant catch or block and hes turn over and injury prone, and had the nerve to hold out his rookie year, besides that hes super
That's just stupid, he's not got great hands but he has decent hands and great athleticism for the position. The ONLY reason they may have moved on is that this is the last year of his contract; aside from that he clearly should be on the team and playing a decent amount.

i was expecting good things with thomas..one yr he is stuck on the teamwith no WR's next he get injured and now traded.
never quite can understand what BB thinks. he overhauls his drafted players in 2-3 yrs a lot...

Patriots receiverd a 7th rounder for Thomas per Reiss twitter.

7th round pick for Thomas, according to Reiss

how many times has BB drafted TE and missed. imean graham and watson were decent but really not tony gonzalez. thomas i believe had good chance to become one and he was quite good in texas but has hardly played with brady ....
i really dont get this...

7th rounder, that sucks.

7th round pick for Thomas, according to Reiss
Disappointingly low considering we threw away a 5th round pick for Smith. Oh well, moving on . . .

Disappointingly low considering we threw away a 5th round pick for Smith. Oh well, moving on . . .

iam as big a fan of BB as anyone but sometimes he gets an easy pass throwing away picks and releasing draft picks
k oconnel, richard,thomas,smith all cost draft picks and gone before even seeing significant timeon the field.

quite a waste and we released alex smith wasting a 5th rounder on him...

Ehhh.... he's not an NFL tight end, but I thought that the work at fullback might keep him safe because Smith looked so nondescript.

Oh, well.

7th, 5th, nothing... it's all good.

New rule in Foxborough : put up or ship out. They don't care about your name, your potential, your draft position. Show us whatcha got.

iam as big a fan of BB as anyone but sometimes he gets an easy pass throwing away picks and releasing draft picks
k oconnel, richard,thomas,smith all cost draft picks and gone before even seeing significant timeon the field.

No point sticking with a player that isn't working out. IMO he earns the right to mess about with draft picks because he creates the extra ones in the first place.

A 2011 7th rounder for David Thomas

Ugh. Kind of what's the point, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back