PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

David Thomas, LS/TE

Status
Not open for further replies.

big mike

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
The SI article on risers/droppers intrigued me about David Thomas, the Texas Tight End, when it mentioned that at their Pro Day he demonstrated his ability to be a long snapper. Given BB's predilection for people who can play multiple roles, THomas is an intriguing possibility as a mid-round TE pick. We need a third string TE (and as a pure TE, he'd definitely be behind Watson and Graham) - but could then serve as a backup LS, eventually replacing Paxton.

It is interesting but he's more of an H back prospect than a TE. My guess is that we'll draft a #3 TE who can replace Graham in 2007, assuming Graham moves on as a UFA.

big mike said:
The SI article on risers/droppers intrigued me about David Thomas, the Texas Tight End, when it mentioned that at their Pro Day he demonstrated his ability to be a long snapper. Given BB's predilection for people who can play multiple roles, THomas is an intriguing possibility as a mid-round TE pick. We need a third string TE (and as a pure TE, he'd definitely be behind Watson and Graham) - but could then serve as a backup LS, eventually replacing Paxton.

I did notice that during my research...and another player on the draft board too. I wish I could remember. I think he's a linebacker, and someone we've discussed.

Last edited:
Thomas really helped himself with his workout, I still have him second day, but he'd get some strong consideration.

dryheat44 said:
I did notice that during my research...and another player on the draft board too. I wish I could remember. I think he's a linebacker, and someone we've discussed.
John Busin, LB from Miami (OH) I assume? Yes, I was intrigued with him also - he's an LB with great speed, and on his Pro Day demonstrated great pass catching skills, as some teams were interested in his ability to play TE.

I can see BB being interested in these guys as a 3rd TE who can also contribute elsewhere as needed.

big mike said:
John Busin, LB from Miami (OH) I assume? Yes, I was intrigued with him also - he's an LB with great speed, and on his Pro Day demonstrated great pass catching skills, as some teams were interested in his ability to play TE.

I can see BB being interested in these guys as a 3rd TE who can also contribute elsewhere as needed.

No. Actually I was recollecting wrong. I was thinking of RB Garrett Mills, whom I like as a Paddy Pass type of catch-all offensive player.

If the Pats were to take Thomas on day 2 and Thomas is indeed a decent LS, that might make Hochstien a little nervous.

Ochmed Jones said:
If the Pats were to take Thomas on day 2 and Thomas is indeed a decent LS, that might make Hochstien a little nervous.

Why not Lonnie? At least Hochstein is a servicable backup, at three positions. Paxton exists for one reason only.

Of course, if Thomas is pretty good, and not very good, then I would keep Paxton. Thomas wouldn't be taking up an additional roster spot, he'd be the third TE.

I regret not learning to long-snap. Bet your ass my son is going to be out there practicing.

Last edited:
Cause you need more than 1 LS

dryheat44 said:
Why not Lonnie? At least Hochstein is a servicable backup, at three positions. Paxton exists for one reason only.

Of course, if Thomas is pretty good, and not very good, then I would keep Paxton. Thomas wouldn't be taking up an additional roster spot, he'd be the third TE.

I regret not learning to long-snap. Bet your ass my son is going to be out there practicing.

Remember that Giants playoff game where they had some old-timer they resurected because they lost their LS? Cost them the game. Lonnie is A#1. It's harder than it looks I guess.

An intriguing prospect also is Jonathan Scott. He can, literally, play every position on the o-line AND long snap. Yes, he's been a center, guard and tackle, AND can long snap. Talk about being versatile. I'd like the Pats to grab him to replace Gorin, personally.

DaBruinz said:
An intriguing prospect also is Jonathan Scott. He can, literally, play every position on the o-line AND long snap. Yes, he's been a center, guard and tackle, AND can long snap. Talk about being versatile. I'd like the Pats to grab him to replace Gorin, personally.

He'll be available late. He only put up 18 lifts at the Combine, and only 17 at his Pro-Day. For an offensive tackle, that's probably not cutting it. I didn't think he had the quickness to play guard, especially for the Pats, but I'll defer to your judgement.

dryheat44 said:
He'll be available late. He only put up 18 lifts at the Combine, and only 17 at his Pro-Day. For an offensive tackle, that's probably not cutting it. I didn't think he had the quickness to play guard, especially for the Pats, but I'll defer to your judgement.

Dryheat -
After reading that Scott wasn't prepared for his Pro-Day, I am shying away from this guy. He is starting to remind me of Michael Munoz. Though the kid supposedly has talent and is versatile, not being prepared for your pro-day or even the combine is just not acceptable.

As for where he could play with the Pats, He may not have the quickness for guard. Even still, the fact that he's played there before would be a benefit if his attitude was right. But, its looking like his attitude isn't right.

I've watched David Thomas grow from a skinny H-Back as a freshman to a rock solid TE as a senior. He may not have the overall ability of Graham and Watson but I do think he has the goods to be a serviceable TE, not a pro bowler mind you but someone you can count on.

He made so many catches on the end of his fingertips diving for the ball I couldn't keep count. He has great hands and this past year always seemed to get open when Texas needed a big play. In some games he was Young's outlet, the defense knew it, and he still would get open constantly. I'd love to get him in the mid rounds and have him as our #3 TE/special teamer.

As for his LS abilities, that's great to have as a backup but I want Paxton here until he retires. BB has said he loves versatility so if you only do one thing, you better do it really well. Paxton does. He is as close to perfect as you can get. Remember back in '03 after he tore his ACL and we went through two more long snappers to end the season? There was a lot of snaps that looked pretty ugly. They never turned out to hurt us but as close as that Super Bowl was, one bad snap on a punt or a FG could have cost us the championship. I challenge anyone to name a better LS in the NFL than Lonnie. In that regards, his roster spot will always be safe with me and I think BB too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back