PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

David Givens

Status
Not open for further replies.

lutontown_fc

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I think this guy really brings a deep threat to the Patriots offense that we need to open up the shorter stuff underneath.

His 6 catches for 137 yds on Saturday were huge in terms of clutch play.

I believe he will become a restricted free agent at the end of this season, or maybe its unrestricted.

I cannot think of many WR's I would rather have for the sort of wages we are paying him - what sort of deal will he be offered?

I hope the CBA will get sorted out, but its not looking to healthy at this time - will this have an impact on our free agent signings next year?

NM

He's a UFA after the season.. I think we really need to re-sign him but at an affordable contract.. I have a weird feeling he might look for a team where he will get more balls his way.. But i dunno we'll see..

Chris said:
He's a UFA after the season.. I think we really need to re-sign him but at an affordable contract.. I have a weird feeling he might look for a team where he will get more balls his way.. But i dunno we'll see..
Man I hope not, but you never know. He wouldn't be the first to decide he's got enough rings and want a pay day. And the dude could get it, he's just clutch. Hope he stays, we're definately a better team when he's playing.

I think it's pivotal that we sign Givens long term. He creates space for Branch and is a class act on and off the field. This guy is a Patrot.
Both Willie and Rosie are gonna have to do redo's and this is where that moeny should go, CBA or not!

I dont know that I'd call Givens a deep threat, but he is excellent in the intermediate zones (12-18 yards) and gets good run after catch on those routes.

I just have a feeling when he hits the open market, he is going to get 'Product of the System" treatment.
Many teams put too much weight on measurables, especially at the WR postion, and the truth is by measurables there are 100 better WRs in the NFL than Givens, maybe more.
Since we don't weigh measuarables so heavily, he may get the best offer he can get from us.

Remmber he was a RFA this year, and received no interest. Anyone considering him a big contract guy would have pursued him then too, unless they see more in him a year later. I doubt that because he looks exactly the same to me as last year.

AndyJohnson said:
I dont know that I'd call Givens a deep threat, but he is excellent in the intermediate zones (12-18 yards) and gets good run after catch on those routes.

I just have a feeling when he hits the open market, he is going to get 'Product of the System" treatment.
Many teams put too much weight on measurables, especially at the WR postion, and the truth is by measurables there are 100 better WRs in the NFL than Givens, maybe more.
Since we don't weigh measuarables so heavily, he may get the best offer he can get from us.

Remmber he was a RFA this year, and received no interest. Anyone considering him a big contract guy would have pursued him then too, unless they see more in him a year later. I doubt that because he looks exactly the same to me as last year.

I agree with all of that, except you have to take his experience into acoount. He is a tested player who has playoff and SB games in his backround.

There aren't many WR's with his pedigree out there. There ARE quite a few with great "Potential" out there, but if I was a smart GM, I sign a guy with experience and attitude.

The Pat's should wrap him up and not let him get away. If Givens was smart he'd realize he'll never have it better than he's had it NE.

God, I hope we keep him.

AndyJohnson said:

You might be right, but then David Patten hits a big payday and we're left to rely on the likes of David Terrell, and then suddenly the world changes. Pay him, I say.

Im not saying dont sign him.
Im saying at his position he may not be a sought after FA.

Why did Patten get that contract? Speed. He was the fastest guy on the Patriots.

Invariably teams are looking for excellent speed, or size, or quickness in a WR. They want "The athlete". Givens wont stand up that yardstick very well. Of all the positions on the field, raw skills are valued the highest at WR.

AndyJohnson said:

Teams could have considered Givens a big contract guy but were not willing to give up a 1st round pick for him. Teams can now sign Givens without giving up a pick for him.

Miguel said:
Teams could have considered Givens a big contract guy but were not willing to give up a 1st round pick for him. Teams can now sign Givens without giving up a pick for him.

True. They also could have tried to make an offer and negotiated a trade for a lower pick, which does happen.

I'm just saying that what Givens brings to the position is atypical to what teams normally pay for at the position.

Make no mistake, I want him here, I'm just contemplating his market value, and I think his strengths and weaknesses would cause him to be undervalued on the market.

I think WR is somewhat unique in that my feeling is that history has dictated that 'atheltic skills' determine what teams will pay for at the position.

If this version of FA were in place then, it would have taken Steve Largent a lot longer to earn as much as a 'real fast' WR. He would have eventually, but he would have had to prove himself for much longer than the 'potential gamebreaker'.

Could be wrong, but thats my read on the makret.

upstater1 said:
You might be right, but then David Patten hits a big payday and we're left to rely on the likes of David Terrell, and then suddenly the world changes. Pay him, I say.
I was just going to say that look at what david patten got. not saying that he wasnt/isnt a good player, but he got much more than what the pats were willing to or should have paid. i hope that they can resign givens to something reasonable, but our two priorities should be seymour and adam v. think givens should be #3 on the list.

kptmorgan04 said:
I was just going to say that look at what david patten got. not saying that he wasnt/isnt a good player, but he got much more than what the pats were willing to or should have paid. i hope that they can resign givens to something reasonable, but our two priorities should be seymour and adam v. think givens should be #3 on the list.

Part of my point was that Patten, with blazing speed is more attractive on the FA market. Clearly Givens is a better player, and we will try harder to keep him, but the makret for WRs tends to say, athleticism earns more than production.

AndyJohnson said:
Part of my point was that Patten, with blazing speed is more attractive on the FA market. Clearly Givens is a better player, and we will try harder to keep him, but the makret for WRs tends to say, athleticism earns more than production.

you really think that patten was/is a more attractive free agent than givens will be. Givens has big time age advantage, better possesion reciever and I would say more potential than patten especially at this point in both of their careers

kptmorgan04 said:
you really think that patten was/is a more attractive free agent than givens will be. Givens has big time age advantage, better possesion reciever and I would say more potential than patten especially at this point in both of their careers

Im saying that the way teams have gone after WRs, physical attributes, great speed, tremendous size, take more priority than prodcution, at least moreso than other positions.

I think teams will look at Givens as a 'system receiver' but one that brings no special phyiscal skills.

Pattens attraction was that he has excellent speed. Teams look at that and envision how that speed will open up their offense.
"Possession receivers" are a dime a dozen in GMs eyes.

Im not saying they are right. Im saying that is what has been happening.

I really hope you are right (so that we can resign him for a cost effective price), but I personally think (of course I am a pats fan and watch them more than any other team) that givens has great physical skills (he was compared to hines ward by a tampa bay player after the game which I think is a very good analysis of what givens will become in the league).

kptmorgan04 said:
I really hope you are right (so that we can resign him for a cost effective price), but I personally think (of course I am a pats fan and watch them more than any other team) that givens has great physical skills (he was compared to hines ward by a tampa bay player after the game which I think is a very good analysis of what givens will become in the league).

I agree Givens is good. He just doesnt have the blazing speed or enormous size that leads to a big FA deal for a WR.

Branch would get a much bigger contract as a FA, but arguably they are equally productive for us.
Why? Because other teams see a quality in Branch (in his case great quickness) that separates him from other WRs.
Givens has all the qualities, but doesnt excel at any particular ones.

My point being that teams typically are looking for the 'dominant' 'gamebreaker' and eschew solid productive 'possession' guys.

AndyJohnson said:
I agree Givens is good. He just doesnt have the blazing speed or enormous size that leads to a big FA deal for a WR.

Branch would get a much bigger contract as a FA, but arguably they are equally productive for us.
Why? Because other teams see a quality in Branch (in his case great quickness) that separates him from other WRs.
Givens has all the qualities, but doesnt excel at any particular ones.

My point being that teams typically are looking for the 'dominant' 'gamebreaker' and eschew solid productive 'possession' guys.
He's probably one of the top 5 #2's in the game. Whether we keep him or not ,IMO, is whether or not BB/Pioli thinks Watson is going to make it. Any # of teams will be willing to pay him. Carolina, Oakland, Da Bears...

kptmorgan04 said:
Sey got a increase for 2006 when he held out this summer, we shouldn't need to address him this off-season. AV should be fairly easy to re-sign now that the market has been set with the different kickers signed this year.

UFAs off the top of my head: Givens, Ashworth, Neal, Fauria, Troy Brown, Chad Scott, Hawkins....there's some key talent to consider here. Givens seems to be the guy who opens up the passing game for Deion and Troy, this makes him the 1st consideration with the way he makes the passing game better.

AndyJohnson said:

Andy - He received "no interest" because it would have cost another team a 1st round pick to sign him. Lets make sure we have things in perspective.

However, lets also look at the fact that there were only 5 1st round wide-receivers taken (Edwards, Williamson, Williams, Clayton, White). I also believe that people didn't want to give the defending champs MORE ammunition to restock their coffers. Imagine what BB would have done with another 1st round pick? Someone like Shawn Merriman or Demarcus Ware? Having either of them would have allowed BB to move Vrabel inside right from the beginning.

Anyways, with as thin as the free agency wide receivers is going to be, Givens is going to draw a LOT of interest. And I fully expect him to receive a contract similar to TJ Houshmandzedah's contract. A 5 year, 13 million dollar deal.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Sey got a increase for 2006 when he held out this summer, we shouldn't need to address him this off-season. AV should be fairly easy to re-sign now that the market has been set with the different kickers signed this year.

UFAs off the top of my head: Givens, Ashworth, Neal, Fauria, Troy Brown, Chad Scott, Hawkins....there's some key talent to consider here. Givens seems to be the guy who opens up the passing game for Deion and Troy, this makes him the 1st consideration with the way he makes the passing game better.

One of the reasons that AV hasn't been resigned is that he has no agent. His current Agent is under a 1 year suspension that runs through Mid August of 2006. AV hasn't done much about getting another agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back