PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Daunte Culpepper to sign with Raiders this week as reported on Sirius NFL Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Apparently Daunte has found a new home but I don't understand the signing unless they wish to have him as a 3rd string QB.

Josh McCown should be the starter and work Russell in slowly,Where Dante's part in this I don't understand.

I am glad he found a team to sign instead of all the crap he had to go through with the Dolphins in getting him released.

1)McCown 2)Russell and then 3)Culpepper should be the order as QB in Oakland IMO

he's still in a better position to compete for a starting role, even though there are two other half-decent qb's. Oakland may also have some added leverage when structuring Russell's contract.

McCown is anything but intrenched as the holdover until they decide they want to play Russel. If Culpepper puts up a good fight he might even win the starting job temporarily. Regardless it gets his foot back in the door of the NFL which is all he can ask for at this point. I find it pretty ironic considering that before the draft many were comparing Russel to Culpepper.

Last edited:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2956542

NAPA, Calif. -- Free-agent quarterback Daunte Culpepper signed a one-year contract with Oakland on Tuesday, giving the Raiders a backup plan for top draft pick JaMarcus Russell.

Culpepper, 30, worked out in the afternoon before a gathering of Raiders scouts and coaches. The workout was private and Culpepper left without speaking to reporters, but Raiders coach Lane Kiffin announced the signing shortly after the Raiders completed practice.

Culpepper, who blew out his knee in 2005 with the Vikings, began 2006 as Miami's starter but had trouble with his mobility and was sacked 21 times in the first four games. The Dolphins shut him down so he could continue rehabilitation and eventually placed him on injured reserve. When they acquired Trent Green in a trade with Kansas City this offseason, Culpepper became expendable.

Looks like Duante is in the fold and the one year contract makes sense so if he has a good year he can go to another team like Jacksonville.

Daunte is in so much trouble. The Raiders offensive line is horrible. He is going to have to run for his life. He just cut the time he had left in the NFL in half.

Daunte is in so much trouble. The Raiders offensive line is horrible. He is going to have to run for his life. He just cut the time he had left in the NFL in half.

It's better than sitting on his couch.

It will be interesting to see if he can beat our McCown who's didn't throw a pass last year. Walter may be starting Day 1.

Good luck to Daunte. He's a talented guy who deserves another shot. However, I do share the other posters' concerns about the "line" that will be protecting him. Hope he stays healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes