Welcome to PatsFans.com

Dateline: Los Angeles, CA - IBEW Local 18 Head: "How Taxpayers Feel Is Not Relevant"

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Apr 7, 2010.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +389 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

"In a rare sit-down interview, Brian D'Arcy, powerful head of the IBEW Local 18 (the union representing 9 out of ten DWP workers) defends the deal, saying the higher salaries paid DWP workers are merely the price of attracting talent in a competitive job sector. Confronted with the complaints of angry ratepayers, he responds that "...generally how they feel is not relevant."

On yes it is mon frere!...YES it is VERY relevant!

Los Angeles at this very moment is within days of being bankrupt. The city and it's very inept mayor have increased several fees and proposed new forms of tax increases all for nothing because they refuse to deal with "Fiscal Responsibility".

Like the fool who is underwater with a mountain of credit card debt seeking a higher paying job to solve his irresponsible ways, those managing Los Angeles' are going down fast.

Let us all pray they don't get bailed out by the federal gov't and set a precedent for other fiscally irresponsible cities around the nation. We just don't have the money to help them. It is time they took responsibility for their own well-being.

2. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Re: Dateline: Los Angeles, CA - IBEW Local 18 Head: "How Taxpayers Feel Is Not Releva

I promise you that the taxpayers will be more upset if their trash isn't picked up...

3. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +389 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

Re: Dateline: Los Angeles, CA - IBEW Local 18 Head: "How Taxpayers Feel Is Not Releva

I don't think it's an "either-or" situation though mcgraw. What does your statement have to do with what this turkey had to say?

Publically funded workers can no longer expect premium pay & premium benefits no matter what the costs to their employers...who are taxpayers. And they damn well better care about what people "think" because it is very relevant.

4. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Don't be silly PR, I'm sure the residents have been complaining that their garbage collectors can't produce any proof of the MBA's required for those positions:rolleyes:

5. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +389 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

Great point! I didn't think about the skills AND intelligence required for these jobs!;)

6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Care to supply a link so us "independent" thinkers can read the chosen comments in context and arrive at our own conclusions?

7. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

If you're addressing me MrsP, don't take me seriously. I just saw an opening for some sarcasm that I couldn't pass up.....still can't appreciate my sarcasm, hey?:p

8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

No, not you at all, SB. You didn't C&P someone else's statement without a link.....you offered opinion, which is unlinkable.

As for your sarcasm, actually, I love it. It's one of the high points here, to be honest. Sarcasm is an art and you're pretty skilled at it. :)

It's kinda funny, tho, people don't, of course, expect their garbage men to have MBAs, but they do expect them to be honest, to be dependable, to be sober if they're a driver, and to be able to follow directions and deal with the public. THey've got to be willing to work early-thirty in the morning, to work in extreme heat, extreme cold; rain, snow and blinding fog; through hurricanes and tornados and, in CA, earthquakes. They've got to leave the house smelling like aftershave and come home reeking of garbage. They've got to worry about hazardous materials mixed in with normal refuse - since there are a whole lot of people who aren't about to pay extra to dispose of their hazardous waste. They've got to beware of dirty junkie needles, broken glass, discarded kitchen knifes, dead pet bodies, bloody waste, plastic bags full of puke, and the occasional spare body part or loaded gun at every one of their stops. They've got to move large, heavy and awkward objects repeatedly and consistantly. They spend their entire day bending and lifting, bending and lifting, bending and lifting.

The more I think about it, they more they're probably worth every penny.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  9. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +160 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

You have a fetish for garbage men. :singing:

Anyways all this BS started in 1979 when cali inacted a law limiting property taxes. The state can't take in enough revenue to meet its obligations.

10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +380 / 11 / -28

It is not about Garbage... LADPW is La Dept of Power and Water... and once again it is part of a larger interview, and the choice is made to highlight that what this blog needs it to say...

Here is the link for the source.. it is from a blog called "News Blaze"...

SoCal Connected Investigates The Price of Power

Bingo, bingo we got bingo.. it is actually from that famous blog.. Mish's

Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: L.A. to Shut Down City Departments in Budget Crisis; IBEW Local 18 Head: "How Taxpayers Feel Is Not Relevant"

Is PR really mish... ????

Doing that hard work, here is more info even though it is not that exciting.. the real story seldom is.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...d-have-supported-compromise-utility-hike.html

11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +380 / 11 / -28

12. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +389 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Opps, sorry. IBEW is Electrical Workers, right? I thought DPW was Department of Public Works - which is usually responsible for either contracting or picking up garbage. Where I come from Public Works is responsible for both water and garbage - the bill covers both.

Anyhow, that's what happens when you don't supply a link with an original thread. People are left to their own devices.

Thanks for the research, DarrylS. I'll check it out now.

14. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +380 / 11 / -28

I did, you chose to ignore it.. are you Mish???

16. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +389 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

despite what mon frere "Darryl" wrote, this is the link where the quote originated from....

SoCal Connected Investigates The Price of Power(union head: taxpayers' feeling irrelevant)

or, was it this one?

http://ronkayela.com/2009/10/

or could it be....this one?

L.A. to Shut Down City Departments in Budget Crisis; IBEW Local 18 Head: "How Taxpayers Feel Is Not Relevant" | FavStocks

maybe, this one?

http://blog.macroaxis.com/2010/04/0...l-18-head-how-taxpayers-feel-is-not-relevant/

or this....

Economic Folk | Business News, Real Estate and Stock Market: L.A. to Shut Down City Departments in Budget Crisis; IBEW Local 18 Head: "How Taxpayers Feel Is Not Relevant"

Not that it matters because it's a fact this idiot Brian D'Arcy made the statement. Why does anyone care "where" the quote came from?

"Study the facts...research the data...call someone on their source...I'm gonna get him...yes, I'll show him....he can't keep doing this...I'll embaress him...."

Jeesh...waste energy much? people like this wear others out. God bless those who have to live with them.

Don't know about anyone else, but I know I sure have fun here on this board!:D:singing:

17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Once you actually get to read the entire article you find one very interesting, and unmentioned thing - it's not just the horrible Union which is at fault - it's horrible Management, too.

For once it seems that the rank and file is in line with upper managment.

And if you're expecting a different view from the management side, you'll be disappointed. DWP Interim General Manager S. David Freeman echoes D'Arcy, arguing that DWP actually keeps its costs lower than privately-owned southland utilities such as PG&E and Edison

It would be interesting to know what the private companies actually charge, wouldn't it? We're being told they charge even more than the city does - I suppose it's verifiable - or we could just all understand that whatever's printed on Mish's is gospel truth and take their word for it - in which case the city is doing it's residents a favor by supplying cheaper power and the whole point of this thread is moot.

Now there's a project for someone who's really concerned about where the blame lies.

edted to add: I sure have fun here, too.

18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

19. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

Bankruptcy is the only option.

20. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +389 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

Funny, I don't see anything above that puts "blame" on the workers. I see a stupid statement (which we all agree was stupid) and I see common sense comments as to the fiscal management of the city of LA.

Strange how some try to make these comments about something it's not.

Time for my nap....