PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dashon Goldson visiting Pats today (7th August)

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Re: Goldson): Sounds like a classic case of buying low.

Great point.

Now let's look at the other end as a "Selling High" when dealing Meriwether who now (somehow) has "Pro-Bowler" before his name. It'll be like selling Enron stock before 2001.

Upon further reflection, I'm coming around to your position.

This Post Has Been Flagged: Inappropriate Content for PatsFans.com.

The Poster will be banned and executed.

Someone posted that the guy's looking for $20 million.

That was probably his hopes at the start of free agency. The market does not seem to have materialised for him. Right now vets still on the market who are not in camp as yet, are probably looking at 1 year "prove it" deals etc

i don't see it as being a significant downgrade at FS if Goldson plays within the system. Just like I don't see it as a significant downgrade to go from Meriweather to Sanders.

Merriweather is a significantly better player than Goldson, despite your hate for him.

Goldson isn't good. At all. Merriweather, despite not being perfect, is still the best safety on the roster.

You know that play where everyone *****es that Merriweather tackled McCourty? You know why that happened? Because Chung got totally blown away by his guy, and Merriweather had to come from way out of position.

Actually, it would be swapping out Meriweather for adding in Osi and Goldson since Osi is who I suggested that we trade Meriweather for.

And that is only if the Patriots see Goldson as someone who can play within the system without freelancing..

I'd love to see this double move happen if BB feels that Goldson will be a good fit in our system. Meriweather does freelance too much and at times takes bad angles, taking out his own guys ala Tebuckey Jones. Taking a slight downgrade at overall talent in safety while eliminating some boneheaded mistakes while also adding a sack machine in Osi would mean an overall upgrade in the defensive unit. Waiting to see if this can happen but I don't know if it can if Goldson was looking for more than Whitner money.

PS Without having watched him play, I don't know too much about Goldson but 80 tackles last season tells me that he's likely a more physical player than Meriweather.

Dashon Goldson, DB for the San Francisco 49ers at NFL.com

Oh and this training camp observation makes me all the more anxious to see a BM/Osi swap:

On Saturday, Meriweather had a disturbing showing in 1-on-1 tackling drills, failing to even make contact with Julian Edelman and Stevan Ridley on consecutive reps. Compared to fellow safeties Patrick Chung, James Sanders and Brandon McGowan, Meriweather has appeared slow.
http://www.csnne.com/08/07/11/Patri...tm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=br_nepatriots

Last edited:
https://twitter.com/#!/RapSheet/statuses/100299008576196608

#Patriots are planning to release safety Brandon McGowan, I'm told by a source. Will open up a spot at safety and on special teams

If Goldson is taking McGowan's roster spot then wouldn't he be making something comparable in salary? Is Rapoport off-base, or are the rumors on money he is demanding incorrect?

The Merriweather hate is dumbfounding. He's one of the better safeties in the leauge and certainly heads and shoulders above both Chung and Sanders.

The Merriweather hate is dumbfounding. He's one of the better safeties in the leauge and certainly heads and shoulders above both Chung and Sanders.

No disrespect, but if he really is better than Chung, then it's only because he's played a ton more snaps in NFL. That's it. Chung will emerge as the better safety as he continues to learn. I honestly don't know how you could watch his play and still not understand why so many have a problem with him. BB, the coach of the team, benched him. Do you think it was for no reason? Do you think BB just decided to bench a guy who was, by your estimation, the best safety on the team on a whim?

Last edited:

That's purely a reflection of the mediocrity of talent at that position in the entire NFL.

He's constantly out of position, has very limited cover skills for a guy with his athletic ability, goes for the big hit too often, causing him to bounce off the ball carrier instead of simply wrapping him up and has about the worst big play/chance taken ratio in the league. He can cover a lot of ground and is a good athlete, but apart from that, he is thoroughly mediocre. At best.

No disrespect, but if he really is better than Chung, then it's only because he's played a ton more snaps in NFL. That's it. Chung will emerge as the better safety as he continues to learn. I honestly don't know how you could watch his play and still not understand why so many have a problem with him. BB, the coach of the team, benched him. Do you think it was for no reason? Do you think BB just decided to bench a guy who was, by your estimation, the best safety on the team on a whim?

BB benched him. He also benched Seymour back when he played here and also benched Welker. I'm sure he's benched other good players for disciplinary reasons. But when he's on the field, he's pretty good. You have Reed and Polamalu as the best safeties in the league. After them, Merriweather is as good or better than anyone else. Why would we get rid of a guy like that?

Chung, as good as he is in run support, is awful covering receivers. Hell, Sanders is better than him in coverage and I think he's awful too.

Unless we have a good replacement for Merriweather, which we don't at the moment, I don't see how getting rid of him is good for our team. Our pass defense is already a joke.

He's constantly out of position, has very limited cover skills for a guy with his athletic ability, goes for the big hit too often, causing him to bounce off the ball carrier instead of simply wrapping him up and has about the worst big play/chance taken ratio in the league. He can cover a lot of ground and is a good athlete, but apart from that, he is thoroughly mediocre. At best.

LOL. You gotta be kidding me. Mediocre at best? God, my fellow Pats fans.....SMH.

What RodThePat ment to say was: Merriweather got the skills, but he is dumb.
reminds me of Maroney. Although im in for giving him a chance to make up for his screwups.

Last edited:
BB benched him. He also benched Seymour back when he played here and also benched Welker. I'm sure he's benched other good players for disciplinary reasons. But when he's on the field, he's pretty good. You have Reed and Polamalu as the best safeties in the league. After them, Merriweather is as good or better than anyone else. Why would we get rid of a guy like that?

Chung, as good as he is in run support, is awful covering receivers. Hell, Sanders is better than him in coverage and I think he's awful too.

Unless we have a good replacement for Merriweather, which we don't at the moment, I don't see how getting rid of him is good for our team. Our pass defense is already a joke.

Meriweather was benched for his poor play. That's not a disciplinary issue. I never said anything about getting rid of anyone. However, to sit there and try to say that this guy is as good as you're trying to convince everyone he is . . . it's just ludicrous.

Seymour was benched for off-the field issues, while Welker was benched for some ill-advised words directed at another team's coach that the Pats were going to be playing that week.

Last edited:
Meriweather was benched for his poor play. That's not a disciplinary issue. I never said anything about getting rid of anyone. However, to sit there and try to say that this guy is as good as you're trying to convince everyone he is . . . it's just ludicrous.

He started 13 games last season. Damn dude, if he was so bad, BB would have benched him like he did Butler.

This guy obviously rubs fans like you the wrong way. If he was clean cut, didn't have a troubled past and long dreads, I swear you guys would be singing a different tune.

He started 13 games last season. Damn dude, if he was so bad, BB would have benched him like he did Butler.

This guy obviously rubs fans like you the wrong way. If he was clean cut, didn't have a troubled past and long dreads, I swear you guys would be singing a different tune.

How old are you? Seriously. The funny thing about this response is, if you read any of my previous posts, I never made one mention of his character off the field. In fact, I never even said that it was me personally that had an issue with him. If you read carefully, you'll see that I mentioned that I could see why other people have had issues with him.

Anyway, I'm going to bow out as I see this conversation is going nowhere fast. You will make excuses and apologies for him no matter what anyone says, even someone who was never attacking him in the first place. Good day, sir.

Last edited:
Someone posted that the guy's looking for $20 million.

When he asked for that, the 49ers promptly replaced him. Seems pretty clear that he won't be getting it after the year he had in 2010, so the likelihood of him signing a one-year prove-it deal has to be pretty high.

When he asked for that, the 49ers promptly replaced him. Seems pretty clear that he won't be getting it after the year he had in 2010, so the likelihood of him signing a one-year prove-it deal has to be pretty high.

Yeah, I'd have to agree. Someone posted that there will be a number of veterans still on the market that will have just have to do the same thing if they want to get in someone's lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes