PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Daryn Colledge - OT, 1st round sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkypete

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The idea seems crazy, with the potential talent that could be on the board at #21, but who could make a bigger instant impact on the 2006 Patriots than an elite pass blocking RT?

Scouting report from NFL Draft Countdown

Strengths:
Has a good frame and should be able to add some weight...Is a brilliant pass blocker...Very technically sound...An excellent athlete with great quickness who moves extremely well...Has a nasty demeanor on the field and plays to the whistle...Hard worker who wants to be great...Strong and Explosive...Is a stud in the weight room...Has a lot of experience and consistently grades out very well...Mature with top intangibles...Versatile and can play multiple positions.

Weaknesses:
Needs to add some weight and continue to bulk up for the next level...Must improve as a run blocker...Struggles with massive defenders and can get pushed back...Is still developing and not yet a finished product...Doesn't always play with proper leverage and knee bend...Did not always play against elite competition.

Notes:
Lightly regarded recruit from North Pole, Alaska who entered college at 235 lbs...Very raw coming out of high school and did not play football as a sophomore or junior...Started every game of his college career...Has the physical tools and natural ability to play the critical left tackle position in the pros which is coveted.

Sounds like one of our guys, doesn't it? Imagine what the 2005 team would've done if we were able to keep Brady on his feet.

In a strong draft like this, it does sound crazy.

Well, the concensus here seems to be linebacker, but I think only Greenway would merit a pick at #21. Bobby Carpenter is a poor tackler, so forget about him. Manny Lawson is intreguing, but will need time to develop. It seems like we could find a solid DE/OLB tweener in round 2, and management has shown interest in Darryl Tapp and Mark Anderson (though, admittedly, that means little).

I don't think we're in reasonable position to take a RB, even if Williams is there. I won't believe that we would take a WR with a 1st round pick until I see it. And, while there may be some solid CB talent when we pick, a rookie would probably be lost on the depth chart.

I'd be perfectly happy getting an anchor for the right side while using the rest of the day 1 picks to re-tool on defense.

Greenway is the poor tackler. he doesn't like contact at all. runs around blockers. I would prefer Carpenter because he can handle coverage, but you never know. Tapp is this year's Merriman just a gut feeling.

stinkypete said:
The idea seems crazy, with the potential talent that could be on the board at #21, but who could make a bigger instant impact on the 2006 Patriots than an elite pass blocking RT?

I think Colledge would be a perfect fit in the Patriots OL. I have a feeling he grades out really high for their system. The question is will he be a significant improvement over Kaczur at RT this season?

I'm an Ernie Sims guy but the grapevine says keep a watch on Tye Hill CB. Bits and pieces on the Patriots interest there. Belichick has all but wrote a column about Marshall...whom I think he likes also.

Good, Pete!

SOUNDS LIKE the most apt pupil Bill has given Dante yet.

I'm not too sold on Colledge. I think he is too weak to play RT and I would like it if at least one on the o-line can get some push. He could be a great pass blocking LT though. But we have other needs to adress in round one.

Could be, he would be a good swing tackle, utility OL, FB, blocking TE they like.

I think Colledge is a perfect fit for the PATs, but #21 is way to high for him (I belive I said something similar about Mankins last year...so what do I know) !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back