PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Darren McFadden to Vist Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
When did he move away from safety? :confused:

There's been talk around the organization that, because of the depleted DB situation, Merriweather is going to move to the CB position. It's in the main board on page 1 I believe.

Is there a version of this interview on the Web, so I can watch it? I want to add McFadden's Private Visit to our prospect tracker, but I need something I can link to.

There's been talk around the organization that, because of the depleted DB situation, Merriweather is going to move to the CB position. It's in the main board on page 1 I believe.

No, there have been "reports" that the Pats are thinking of doing that. Nobody in Foxboro actually said that.

Last edited:
No, there have been "reports" that the Pats are thinking of doing that. Nobody in Foxboro actually said that.

Last year when the Patriots drafted Meriweather Dean Pees was asked if the Patriots wanted Meriweather to play CB or Safety, and Dean said something like (Paraphrasing) "We see him as a Safety first, but he can also play CB in certain situations."

The certain situations Dean talked about was their using Meriweather as the big nickle, and later he specifically mentioned NE's possibly using Meriweather to cover TE's in the slot (IE: Dallas Clark).

So, unless their opinion has changed, the Patriots intend to use Meriweather mainly at Safety, but he could play a CB type role when NE used their big nickle packages. That's been my personal opinion of how NE would use Meriweather since pre 2007 NFL draft discussions, as well.

Last edited:
I can pass on that very easily. McFadden = Reggie Bush part II. In other words, McFadden won't be good without a complimentary back. But Maroney isn't a complimentary back. They have very similar running styles.

McFadden is lousy at blocking and picking up blitzes and he fumbles WAY TOO MUCH. You do realize that the Pats backfield didn't have a rushing fumble, right?

I know he has problems, but you don't think he is going to be better than Reggie Bush? I don't believe he's going to be that terrible. I think he has potential, though, and that's why it sounded like a good deal to me.

Honestly, what exactly is the draft scenario in which the Pats will benefit from someone thinking they want to draft McFadden? I'd love to hear it.

It's not complicated....let's say the draft goes like this:

1. C Long
2. Dorsey
3. J Long
4. Clady
5. Ryan

At number 6, Gholston and McFadden are available. Let's say the Broncos or Lions are enamored with McFadden, so they contact the Jets to trade into the number 6 spot, because they suspect New England has interest. The Jets take the trade, the Broncos or Lions draft McFadden, and presto....Gholston is sitting there at #7, where otherwise the Jets would have taken him at #6.

Every team in the top 8 picks are doing themselves a disservice by not working out every player expected to go in that range. 30 workouts is a lot, considering they've already seen these guys play games, do workouts at the Combine, do workouts at their Pro Day, etc.

It's not complicated....let's say the draft goes like this:

1. C Long
2. Dorsey
3. J Long
4. Clady
5. Ryan

At number 6, Gholston and McFadden are available. Let's say the Broncos or Lions are enamored with McFadden, so they contact the Jets to trade into the number 6 spot, because they suspect New England has interest. The Jets take the trade, the Broncos or Lions draft McFadden, and presto....Gholston is sitting there at #7, where otherwise the Jets would have taken him at #6.

Every team in the top 8 picks are doing themselves a disservice by not working out every player expected to go in that range. 30 workouts is a lot, considering they've already seen these guys play games, do workouts at the Combine, do workouts at their Pro Day, etc.

Except that the Jets are a far more likely threat to take McFadden so any team enamored with him would likely have their sights set on trading into the top 5. Like I said, there are too many permutations and variables to the live beast that is the NFL draft to stage visits in an attempt to obfuscate your intentions.

His visit is due diligence, nothing more.

Except that the Jets are a far more likely threat to take McFadden so any team enamored with him would likely have their sights set on trading into the top 5. Like I said, there are too many permutations and variables to the live beast that is the NFL draft to stage visits in an attempt to obfuscate your intentions.

His visit is due diligence, nothing more.

Maybe. I expect that a team as bad as NY would take the trade down for more day 1 picks.

How can you be so sure? Do you have regular phone conversations with Belichick? Are you and Pioli good friends? Are you actually a member of the Patriot organization? Listen, sonny Jim, I just got done playing golf with Kraft and he told me PERSONALLY that they were thinking of moving Meriweather to the CB position. So don't test me, pal.

How can you be so sure? Do you have regular phone conversations with Belichick? Are you and Pioli good friends? Are you actually a member of the Patriot organization? Listen, sonny Jim, I just got done playing golf with Kraft and he told me PERSONALLY that they were thinking of moving Meriweather to the CB position. So don't test me, pal.

lol that was funny. :)

Meriweather wont be playing CB though. :D

This is FALSE. There are "RUMORS" going around that the Pats may look at moving Meriweather to CB, but its NOT come from "around the organization" as you put it.

Its been speculation by guys like Florio.

Except that the Jets are a far more likely threat to take McFadden .

The Jets would be absolutely foolish to take McFadden over Gholston. The real question is what happens with the Jets if Gholston is off the board by #6?

The Jets would be absolutely foolish to take McFadden over Gholston. The real question is what happens with the Jets if Gholston is off the board by #6?

They take McFadden. The Jets SHOULD be taking a QB that can actually throw the ball further than 10 yards though.

They take McFadden. The Jets SHOULD be taking a QB that can actually throw the ball further than 10 yards though.

Agreed. I just hope they don't take Ryan. I think I'm in the minority, but I believe he will be a very solid pro. But given the fact we broke Kellen Clemens in 2007, I think they still want to wait & see what they have in him.

Agreed. I just hope they don't take Ryan. I think I'm in the minority, but I believe he will be a very solid pro. But given the fact we broke Kellen Clemens in 2007, I think they still want to wait & see what they have in him.

You're not in the minority. I think he'll be a very good pro QB as well. Definitely not on the level of Brady and Manning, but he'll be very effective if surrounded by the right talent. He could very well fall to the Jest or us because word out of Miami is that Parcells really likes John Beck. If he falls to us and Gholston or McFadden is off the board, can you say trade bait?

Last year when the Patriots drafted Meriweather Dean Pees was asked if the Patriots wanted Meriweather to play CB or Safety, and Dean said something like (Paraphrasing) "We see him as a Safety first, but he can also play CB in certain situations."

FYI, I don't consider that as a "move to CB," anymore than I would consider Vrabel lining up at TE at the goalline a "move to TE."

As for KontradictioN--I understand your point, all I was trying to say is that no one in Foxboro has said, in public, that they envisioned making Meriweather primarily a CB. [If my sarcasm detector is broken, my apologies. :) ]

FYI, I don't consider that as a "move to CB," anymore than I would consider Vrabel lining up at TE at the goalline a "move to TE."

As for KontradictioN--I understand your point, all I was trying to say is that no one in Foxboro has said, in public, that they envisioned making Meriweather primarily a CB. [If my sarcasm detector is broken, my apologies. :) ]

No, your sarcasm detector is right on par. :rocker:

Why only quote the first portion?

The remainder kind of agrees with your opinion:

The certain situations Dean talked about was their using Meriweather as the big nickle, and later he specifically mentioned NE's possibly using Meriweather to cover TE's in the slot (IE: Dallas Clark).

So, unless their opinion has changed, the Patriots intend to use Meriweather mainly at Safety, but he could play a CB type role when NE used their big nickle packages. That's been my personal opinion of how NE would use Meriweather since pre 2007 NFL draft discussions, as well.

I wasn't arguing against you're point, but actually attempting to back it by pointing to Dean's saying they see Meriweather as a Safety first.

Last edited:
And what if we draft him and he is in a few years known as Darren McDadden

Tom Brady has a child and is not married, as well. But it's fine to criticize McFadden for it because, you know, he's black.

He'll have enough money to pay for them. The number of children he has fathered has no bearing on his ability to carry a football and run quickly. Give it up.

Note that this does not mean I want McFadden (I don't think a 1st round RB is ever worth it). But you should realize that argument doesn't really work.

Last edited:
Tom Brady has a child and is not married, as well. But it's fine to criticize McFadden for it because, you know, he's black.

He'll have enough money to pay for them. The number of children he has fathered has no bearing on his ability to carry a football and run quickly. Give it up.

Note that this does not mean I want McFadden (I don't think a 1st round RB is ever worth it). But you should realize that argument doesn't really work.

Actually, the argument isn't empty. As of now, McFadden has Seven child support payments he has to make every month. Players with large outstanding financial obligations tend to hold out for the most money possible and demand renegotiations when things are going well. Especially since paternity judges tend to apply the standard of "How much can you afford to pay", and not "How much is a fair amount with which this child can be raised"

I would also argue a difference between a man who fathers a child with a woman he's been in a relationship with for several years and a man who fathers at least seven children with seven different women in a two-year span. But such arguments might make me a racist, so I won't make them here.

Between that and the bar fights, I'm not sure McFadden's judgement is any better than Pac Man's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back