PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Darrelle Revis calls Randy Moss a slouch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kontra you have a propensity to exaggerate.

No, they really didn't. To assert such shows me that you did not watch the games this season. Revis had help on a few dows but, for the most part, he was one on one with Moss and Owens.

I always forget that you are a coach, and get to see the coaching tape to watch the defensive backfield including the safeties on every play. My bad, I thought you were just watching the TV feed. :rolleyes:

As for your comments about what he does for the Jets defense: :rofl: Seriously? Revis closes off half the field just depending on who he covers.

Right so Revis, by himself closes off half the field, allowing both safeties to ignore his side of the field right? And I suppose you think that Revis made a MONUMENTAL leap from 2008 to 2009. I mean in one offseason he magically became this super corner that changes the entire defense by himself :rolleyes:. You need to understand that there is a lot more to the game and a lot more to pass defense than one great corner can bring you.

If you want proof of that, watch the Chargers/Jets game being played right now. Whomever he covers is being shut down. The long bomb attempt to Jackson saw Revis one on one with him and actually beating him on the route. However, you are the guy that doesn't like to pay attention to facts, so I suppose it would be a waste of time to post a list of the guys that Revis covered this year along with their stats. :rolleyes:

You act as if I said Revis isn't great, or that he can't cover any receiver one on one ever. I never even insinuated that but keep grasping for straws. Post the stats of everyone Revis covered all you want, the fact of the matter is as much as you want to believe it there is MORE to limiting a receiver than one-on-one island coverage. Revis is not on an island against these guys, and his team IS generating pressure. Continue to put words in my mouth and exaggerate everything...

Revis didn't go from being ****ty to HOF from 2008 to 2009 as you make it seem. In 2008 the Jets had the 29th pass defense based on yards/game (and I know that's not the best way to judge it). In 2009 they had the #1 pass defense based on yards/game. Revis didn't go into the 2008 offseason terrible and magically become superstar shutdown corner that transformed the jets defense. Let's also pretend Rex Ryan has nothing to do with the jets defense. Revis is a one man show!

Kontra you have a propensity to exaggerate.

I always forget that you are a coach, and get to see the coaching tape to watch the defensive backfield including the safeties on every play. My bad, I thought you were just watching the TV feed. :rolleyes:

This is certainly a good way to begin my last post toward you.

Anyway, yes, I do watch the TV feed and I tend to watch the superstars. For instance, I was watching the TV feed before when it was Vincent Jackson and Darelle Revis going up for a pass... one on one (again) and Revis managed to rip the ball out of Jackson's hands only to have Jackson try to one arm it, be unsuccessful in his attempt, and have Revis end up with the INT. Revis is absolutely a shutdown corner and he has been all season.

Right so Revis, by himself closes off half the field, allowing both safeties to ignore his side of the field right?

Yes, he does. Many people including players on the field and off the field as well as columnists, commentators, coaches, and casual fans have noticed this. Revis is, by definition, the one true shutdown corner in the league this season. Ryan even said that the beauty of the Jets defense is that they can bring the safeties (like Leonard) to the LOS to rush the passer because they have full confidence in Revis' ability to shutdown another team's #1 WR one on one. THAT, my homer friend, is the main reason why the Jets defense (specifically their pass rush) is so good.

And I suppose you think that Revis made a MONUMENTAL leap from 2008 to 2009. I mean in one offseason he magically became this super corner that changes the entire defense by himself.

LMAO! Are you really trying to argue that it's completely uncommon for a player to get better after a couple of years in the league? Seriously? On top of that, a new system was brought in this season that can take full advantage of his efforts. The results are fairly obvious, one would think (though, not to a Patriots homer). Oh, and this is a classic red herring. Not that I would expect you to know what that actually means...

You need to understand that there is a lot more to the game and a lot more to pass defense than one great corner can bring you.

Not to be a snob, but I would venture to guess that I have probably forgotten more about football in my time then you can ever hope to know. Watch the Jets play San Diego. You'll notice one thing. What you'll notice is that the safeties have a tendency to creep up the LOS to support the LB's in the pass rush (usually rushing the a-gaps). Why do they do that? Because they have faith in Revis to shutdown the opposing team's number one WR (like Randy Moss) one on one while the othe safety (Rhodes) stays over the top to help Lito Shepard in coverage against the team's other WR (which was Welker in this season's case). They do this fairly often, as proven by the amount of times Jim Leonard has gotten into San Diego's backfield to force Rivers out of the pocket tonight.

You act as if I said Revis isn't great, or that he can't cover any receiver one on one ever. I never even insinuated that but keep grasping for straws.

Tell me, do you wear Nikes when you back peddle?

Right so Revis, by himself closes off half the field, allowing both safeties to ignore his side of the field right?

Post the stats of everyone Revis covered all you want, the fact of the matter is as much as you want to believe it there is MORE to limiting a receiver than one-on-one island coverage. Revis is not on an island against these guys, and his team IS generating pressure. Continue to put words in my mouth and exaggerate everything...

I'm not exaggerating anything and I don't want to believe anything. I hate the Jets with a fiery passion. The intensity of a thousand suns. Ask anybody around here (Jets fans included). However, I'm not so much of a homer as to deny the fact that he was in one on one coverage with Moss the VAST majority of the time. By the way, Kerry Rhodes just sacked Philip Rivers. You should know why by now. Anyway, Revis going one on one, basically shut down Andre Johnson, Terrell Ownes (twice), Randy Moss (twice), Marques Colston, Steve Smith, Roddy White, and Chad Ochocinco. Today, he has managed to make Vincent Jackson AND Antonio Gates ineffective when he's covered them. To put it simply, there's a reason why they call it "Revis Island".

Revis didn't go from being ****ty to HOF from 2008 to 2009 as you make it seem.

Yet another red herring. Nobody said Revis was HOF material and to insinuate such is just assanine. What I said was that he was a shutdown corner in 2009. If you can bring up cold, hard FACTS to bring that up, be my guest. Of course, I won't be reading (or responding) to it.

In 2008 the Jets had the 29th pass defense based on yards/game (and I know that's not the best way to judge it). In 2009 they had the #1 pass defense based on yards/game. Revis didn't go into the 2008 offseason terrible and magically become superstar shutdown corner that transformed the jets defense. Let's also pretend Rex Ryan has nothing to do with the jets defense. Revis is a one man show!

The discussion wasn't about what happened last season. So that's the third red herring in one post from you. Congratulations. I didn't know that was possible. Again, it's amazing what can happen you spend another year in the league and become a part of a complete scheme change (Ryan's defense is vastly different than Mangini's) that is tailor made to play to your strengths. If you honestly think that Ryan's defense would work the same without Revis, you have another thing coming. Those safeties would not be sneaking up to the LOS as much as they are and the LB's wouldn't be free to rush the passer as much as they have been. Is Revis a one man show? No. Is he a very big reason of why the Jets defense in 2009 has been so good? Absolutely. Is he a big reason why the Jets have currently held the potent San Diego Chargers defense to just 7 points so far in this game? Absolutely. Would he be a big reason for the Jets advancing to the AFC title game against the Colts? You bet your ass. Without him, guys like Ochocinco and Jackson would be free to make big time catches and the opposing quarterbacks would be seeing a lot more time in the pocket. But keep denying facts, it's what you're good at.

And I'm sorry, but not only are you a moron but you are a GIGANTIC homer. One of the biggest and most annoying in this forum. When I respond to you, I actually wonder why I did so. With that in mind, I'll be adding you to my ignore list so I don't have to be subjected to watching you post with the blinders on. If you wish to respond to this with your usual "hands firmly over eyes" approach, then be my guest. I just hope that you enjoy the feeling that I get when I respond to your posts. You know that "why am I wasting my time?", feeling? Take it easy.

This is certainly a good way to begin my last post toward you.

Anyway, yes, I do watch the TV feed and I tend to watch the superstars. For instance, I was watching the TV feed before when it was Vincent Jackson and Darelle Revis going up for a pass... one on one (again) and Revis managed to rip the ball out of Jackson's hands only to have Jackson try to one arm it, be unsuccessful in his attempt, and have Revis end up with the INT. Revis is absolutely a shutdown corner and he has been all season.

PLEASE learn how to read and comprehend. I never said Revis was anything but a great CB. It's very annoying have to repeat such obvious things to people like yourself who can't be bothered to even attempt to read.

Yes, he does. Many people including players on the field and off the field as well as columnists, commentators, coaches, and casual fans have noticed this. Revis is, by definition, the one true shutdown corner in the league this season. Ryan even said that the beauty of the Jets defense is that they can bring the safeties (like Leonard) to the LOS to rush the passer because they have full confidence in Revis' ability to shutdown another team's #1 WR one on one. THAT, my homer friend, is the main reason why the Jets defense (specifically their pass rush) is so good.

They do NOT bring their safeties to the LOS on every single snap. I know that Revis' ability allows more flexibility in a defense and allows you to more confidently take your safeties away from the deep part of the field. They however do not run a defense that takes their safeties to the LOS every play. They do NOT run a defense that puts Revis one-on-one on an island all game every game.

LMAO! Are you really trying to argue that it's completely uncommon for a player to get better after a couple of years in the league? Seriously? On top of that, a new system was brought in this season that can take full advantage of his efforts. The results are fairly obvious, one would think (though, not to a Patriots homer). Oh, and this is a classic red herring. Not that I would expect you to know what that actually means...

It's completely uncommon for a player to get so much better in one offseason to single handedly bring a pass defense from bottom 5 to best. As a matter of fact, not only is it uncommon, it's pretty impossible. Keep pretending Revis is the sole reason for the Jets defensive success. There is no red herrings here Deus, open your eyes and quit trying desperately to paint me as a "homer" to avoid the facts.

[qutoe]Not to be a snob, but I would venture to guess that I have probably forgotten more about football in my time then you can ever hope to know. Watch the Jets play San Diego. You'll notice one thing. What you'll notice is that the safeties have a tendency to creep up the LOS to support the LB's in the pass rush (usually rushing the a-gaps). Why do they do that? Because they have faith in Revis to shutdown the opposing team's number one WR (like Randy Moss) one on one while the othe safety (Rhodes) stays over the top to help Lito Shepard in coverage against the team's other WR (which was Welker in this season's case). They do this fairly often, as proven by the amount of times Jim Leonard has gotten into San Diego's backfield to force Rivers out of the pocket tonight. [/quote]

You aren't a snob, you are just very ignorant. You have proven that you lack football knowledge on any intimate level. You should probably be coaching in the NFL though, because you are just so brilliant in your analysis :rolleyes:

Wes Welker got 192 yards against the Jets. Do you pay attention to ANYTHING other than media hype? So much for your theories about how Revis is on an island and the rest of the DBs can focus help on Welker. Don't let facts get in the way now!

Also do you believe that pass rush pressure helps or hurts Revis? Do you believe that if both safeties blitzed every play but couldn't quickly generate pressure that a guy like Moss would still be completely shut down by Revis? Do you feel that Revis is so good that he can succeed without QB pressure? Must be the magic juice he drank in the offseason.

Tell me, do you wear Nikes when you back peddle?

I have never back peddled. When I overstate things or make a mistake I am man enough to admit and correct myself. You on the other hand like to throw words in others mouths to make yourself look like you have an argument. Continue to grasp for those straws though.

I'm not exaggerating anything and I don't want to believe anything. I hate the Jets with a fiery passion. The intensity of a thousand suns. Ask anybody around here (Jets fans included). However, I'm not so much of a homer as to deny the fact that he was in one on one coverage with Moss the VAST majority of the time. By the way, Kerry Rhodes just sacked Philip Rivers. You should know why by now. Anyway, Revis going one on one, basically shut down Andre Johnson, Terrell Ownes (twice), Randy Moss (twice), Marques Colston, Steve Smith, Roddy White, and Chad Ochocinco. Today, he has managed to make Vincent Jackson AND Antonio Gates ineffective when he's covered them. To put it simply, there's a reason why they call it "Revis Island".

Can you please prove to me he was in one-on-one coverage with Moss the ENTIRE time? Please give me the proof, because you claim you are such a non-homer that this is truth. And if Revis was one-on-one with Moss the ENTIRE time, why the hell did the idiot Jets let Welker get 192 yards?

Revis did not go one-on-one with 0 safety help and no pass rush all game against any of those guys. Please try to learn about how many different things go into a successful NFL defense aside from your fantasy of having a shutdown corner be the only thing that effects anything. Revis DOES play one-on-one at times, just not every single play. Revis IS a great CB, but he's not this amazingly infallible one-man-show you make him out to be. Revis does help the Jets defense a lot, but he does not make that defense by himself.

Yet another red herring. Nobody said Revis was HOF material and to insinuate such is just assanine. What I said was that he was a shutdown corner in 2009. If you can bring up cold, hard FACTS to bring that up, be my guest. Of course, I won't be reading (or responding) to it.

Why is it that when you have a bad argument and can't argue with facts and logic you result to these keywords like red herrings and homer? You ARE insinuating he is HOF material because nothing less than HOF material DB could single handedly make a defense #1 in the league, like you continuously try to sell. They were #29 pass defense in 2008, #1 in 2009. You attribute that solely to Revis (even though Revis was there in 2008).

The discussion wasn't about what happened last season. So that's the third red herring in one post from you. Congratulations. I didn't know that was possible. Again, it's amazing what can happen you spend another year in the league and become a part of a complete scheme change (Ryan's defense is vastly different than Mangini's) that is tailor made to play to your strengths. If you honestly think that Ryan's defense would work the same without Revis, you have another thing coming. Those safeties would not be sneaking up to the LOS as much as they are and the LB's wouldn't be free to rush the passer as much as they have been. Is Revis a one man show? No. Is he a very big reason of why the Jets defense in 2009 has been so good? Absolutely. Is he a big reason why the Jets have currently held the potent San Diego Chargers defense to just 7 points so far in this game? Absolutely. Would he be a big reason for the Jets advancing to the AFC title game against the Colts? You bet your ass. Without him, guys like Ochocinco and Jackson would be free to make big time catches and the opposing quarterbacks would be seeing a lot more time in the pocket. But keep denying facts, it's what you're good at.

The fact of the matter is Rex Ryan is more responsible for the defensive shift from 08-09 than is Revis. There is no red herring. Revis was there in 2008, Rex Ryan was not. Diss Mangini all you want (and rightfully so), but unless you claim that he never used Revis in man-to-man coverage then you are reaching.

I understand that Revis is great, but he's not great alone. Tom Brady is great but he can't succeed throwing to Aiken and Slater, to credit the entire offense along with receivers for 2007 is not a diss to Tom Brady.

And I'm sorry, but not only are you a moron but you are a GIGANTIC homer. One of the biggest and most annoying in this forum. When I respond to you, I actually wonder why I did so. With that in mind, I'll be adding you to my ignore list so I don't have to be subjected to watching you post with the blinders on. If you wish to respond to this with your usual "hands firmly over eyes" approach, then be my guest. I just hope that you enjoy the feeling that I get when I respond to your posts. You know that "why am I wasting my time?", feeling? Take it easy.

I'm one of the few bringing some of you loud mouthed posters to task around here. You loud-mouth knee-jerk know-it-alls have driven away plenty of quality posters. Now call me a moron and a homer all you want, it doesn't make it true. You can pretend to speak for the entire board all you want, but I will not sit there and let people just talk mumbo jumbo all they want. I'll never pretend to be an expert of all things in the NFL, and if I were I'd be looking into getting a job in the NFL.

I have no problem with this. Revis has been the best corner this season, went up against all these guys and shut them down.

He's got all the right to talk.

Plus, when you look at both Randy and TO, when they get taken out of a game, they seem to shut it down knowing that they are doing their part just taking coverage with them.

He should've called Moss a dog faker. I still don't know what that is.

He should've called Moss a dog faker. I still don't know what that is.

Neither do I. My best guess is that someone was trying to call Moss a "dog ****er" and accidentally put in "faker".

Neither do I. My best guess is that someone was trying to call Moss a "dog ****er" and accidentally put in "faker".
Even if someone was called a "dog ****er", I would have no idea what they are talking about and how it related to their play on the field.

Well, Revis brings it, and hard, in big games while Mossy seems to be stuck in molasses. I hate the Jets more than any team in sports but I have to admit Revis has earned the right to this comment. I'd trade Moss for Revis in a nanosecond.

Revis can say whatever he wants. It's Moss's job to prove him wrong.

Just because he has the "right" to call Randy a slouch, doesn't make it a prudent or classy thing to do.

Then again, it's the NFL and, by and large, you aren't dealing with a bunch of MENSA candidates here.

Just because he has the "right" to call Randy a slouch, doesn't make it a prudent or classy thing to do.

Then again, it's the NFL and, by and large, you aren't dealing with a bunch of MENSA candidates here.

Nobody ever said it was classy. But then, the Jets have never laid claim to being a classy team. Is Rex Ryan classy at the buffet table? Nope.

It was low class of him to say BUT...

part of me worries about this.

Revis knows these guys better than anyone and when he lumps guys like Jackson and Smith in one group and TO and Moss in another

it does make you think....

I don't have a problem with Revis stating his opinion, and have no interest in getting in to the debate. That said, ProFootballTalk had an article up prior to the 2nd Pats/Jets game with opininion(s) from scout(s) on the game in New York. The scout(s) said that Revis had a lot of help on most plays and was not "one on one" with Randy Moss. In the second game, Moss beat Revis deep at least once, but the pass was inaccurate. Also in the second game, Revis had good coverage to break up a short pass to Moss, and good coverage on two deep balls, one of which was the last play of the game. I am not willing to "crown" Revis, but he certainly has had a great year.

Revis literally had the best season a CB has had ......... ever. Literally. He backs it up but I'm still surprised to hear him be so crass. I've heard a lot of interviews of his and he's always so humble. This is out of character.

At the same time someone needs to shut him up and Randy's disappearing acts certainly didn't do it.

I am not exagerating that if Revis plays like he did this season up until he's 30 he will be remembered as the best of all time. He was great in 09, now we'll see if he can duplicate it.

At least Revis doesn't let people know he is classy by declaring himself classy at a press conference. LOL. I still shake my head when I remember that absurd speech that LT put together after the Pats beat the Chargers on the Chargers own field.

I wonder if he's going to come up with any more ridiculous quotes now that they self-imploded vs the Jets?

Last edited:
Several excellent posts in this thread...but here's the textbook definition and Darrelle was spot on in his characterization. The bottom line is TO and Moss both get have a tendency to get lazy and wilt when Revis lines up against them. Also, notice how Deion doesn't correct him. Truth!

Main Entry: slouch
Part of Speech: verb
Definition: slump over
Synonyms: be lazy, bend, bow, crouch, droop, lean, loaf, loll, lounge, sag, stoop, wilt
Antonyms: straighten

From Tim Graham blog on ESPN.com---

Deion Sanders went one-on-one with New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis for a segment on "NFL GameDay Morning" and conducted an interesting name-association quiz. Revis had a couple of interesting responses for future Hall of Famers Terrell Owens and Randy Moss.

Deion Sanders: Two words or less, when I call out a name, tell me what you think.

Darrelle Revis: OK.

Sanders: T.O.

Revis: Slouch.

Sanders: Randy Moss.

Revis: Probably say slouch, too.

Sanders: Chad Ochocinco.

Revis: Competitor.

Sanders: Steve Smith.

Revis: Competitor.

Sanders: Andre Johnson.

Revis: Beast.

Works for me.

You know what? I don't care any more. Players and coaches and whatever talk sh*t all the time. I've heard so much of it that I'm past the point of caring. I'm sure harsher words are shared on the football field that we'll never get to hear.

Yo, man, I say the same thing too. Revis needs to shut his mouth though. But as the Jets keep talking, they keep winning.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes