PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Darnell Bing

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
According to DefenseWins (LPF on the other board), Bing has visited Foxboro and is coming back this week. This is on top of RD (footballsfuture.com), a USC and Pats fan, saying that the Patriots have been following Bing back at least a year ago. It seems like we really like him and taking him in the second round wouldn't shock me - I can't see even the surprising Belichick taking him in the first.

With Wilson, Harrison, Hawkins, Scott, Sanders, Mitchell and Tebucky, taking Bing would be somewhat of a surprise but if they don't like Scott or Sanders as future starters it may not be a stretch. Also I expect us to carry more Safeties and less LB this year with ST guys being heavier at Safety.

BelichickFan said:
According to DefenseWins (LPF on the other board), Bing has visited Foxboro and is coming back this week. This is on top of RD (footballsfuture.com), a USC and Pats fan, saying that the Patriots have been following Bing back at least a year ago. It seems like we really like him and taking him in the second round wouldn't shock me - I can't see even the surprising Belichick taking him in the first.

With Wilson, Harrison, Hawkins, Scott, Sanders, Mitchell and Tebucky, taking Bing would be somewhat of a surprise but if they don't like Scott or Sanders as future starters it may not be a stretch. Also I expect us to carry more Safeties and less LB this year with ST guys being heavier at Safety.

I would really be shocked to see the Pats go with a SS type in the first two rounds. College football is littered with big hitters, and it seems that you can get a Bing-type as easily on day 2.

Even though Bing is getting the hype and is a a better athlete, the other USC safety, Ware, could be a good later round pick. He seems to have more of the qualities that the Patriots look for in a player.

Also, don't forget Slay. I had him as my project pick. He could be a ST demon and a convert to ILB.

There's no guarentee that Bing will be picked in the 1st 2 rounds. He has a history of injuries and some scouts don't like his game. Sure BB might very well love him as a player, but that doesn't guarentee that we're looking at him as 1st round or even 2nd round material.

The patriots own page had a terrible write up on him, saying he was basically worthless; out of position, poor tackler, etc.

How does RD know the Pats were following Bing???? USC has tons of talent, why Bing??????

Ochmed Jones said:
How does RD know the Pats were following Bing???? USC has tons of talent, why Bing??????
Not sure, I'd have to go back and look at the archives. I'll see if I can find anything.

This is what he posted :

"The Patriots also followed Darnell closely at the start of last year. They attended USC practices, and the two guys they really showed interest in where Shaun Cody and Bing.

The staff definitely has had its eye on him ..."

Not definitive proof but RD has never been a BSer.

Its not BS.

I've followed Bing closely, and yes, the Patriots have been paying him a lot of attention for a while now.

And for those who think Bing is a "just a big hitter", you're missing a whole lot of his game that makes him great. He's a leader, a terrific athlete, has top notch football instincts, and makes a ton of plays. (note the momentum swinging interception vs. Fresno State last year)

Bing would be a perfect fit for our system, and I would love to see him become a patriot

LetsGoPats36 said:
Its not BS.

I've followed Bing closely, and yes, the Patriots have been paying him a lot of attention for a while now.

And for those who think Bing is a "just a big hitter", you're missing a whole lot of his game that makes him great. He's a leader, a terrific athlete, has top notch football instincts, and makes a ton of plays. (note the momentum swinging interception vs. Fresno State last year)

Bing would be a perfect fit for our system, and I would love to see him become a patriot

Ok, but in the latter half of day 1

LetsGoPats36 said:
Its not BS.

I'm sorry, but you're not going to convince me that he's a better safety prospect than Daniel Bullocks, Jon Alston, Brian Iwuh, or Bernard Pollard, all of who will likely be taken between the third and sixth rounds. If we take a strong safety-type early, I hope it's Whitner.

From an on-field perspective, that position has the least importance of the defense. It's essentially a run support hole than any good tackler who can read plays can fill.

Yes, I realize Rodney might be our most important player in our secondary, but that owes much more to his leadership, knowledge, and intangibles than it does his on-field play. And you don't get those qualities from a rookie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back