PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Darn, a sudden turn around, the Jets are now the favorites in the AFC East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we stop with the constant Jet related threads?...Yikes!

Please help me understand the thought process behind OPENING up a thread you don't want to discuss and then OPINING in it that you don't want to read, see or even discuss the subject.

Please help me understand the thought process behind OPENING up a thread you don't want to discuss and then OPINING in it that you don't want to read, see or even discuss the subject.

Because I am tired of threads about the freaking Jets! Like Red Sox fans obsessing about the Yankees.

Because I am tired of threads about the freaking Jets! Like Red Sox fans obsessing about the Yankees.

So don't open them.

What? Have you no control over your mouse?

People who do what you just did aren't REALLY upset about having to read the subject - - they are upset that OTHER people can read the subject.

I suggest you take care of your own reading list and let others decide theirs. There is a plethora of other subject threads on the front page.

Last edited:

Here, let me offer a reason:

Patsfans.com does not have the "ignore thread" option that some messageboards have. As a result, threads which people don't want to read end up on the top of the board time and again, and it's a pain in the ass if you're someone who uses the refresh button as you follow threads.

Therefore, the person cannot make it so that a thread which doesn't belong on the main forum (i.e. DeOssie thread) doesn't come up on their screen and get in the way of their enjoyment of the forum. This can be particularly problematic if that thread is getting a lot of hits, or is one of several threads a person doesn't want to follow but are frequently bumped to the top of the forum.

It's not a problem on the level of radiation poisoning or anything, but it is a nuisance.

Last edited:
Here, let me offer a reason:

Patsfans.com does not have the "ignore thread" option that some messageboards have. As a result, threads which people don't want to read end up on the top of the board time and again, and it's a pain in the ass if you're someone who uses the refresh button as you follow threads.

Therefore, the person cannot make it so that a thread which doesn't belong on the main forum (i.e. DeOssie thread) doesn't come up on their screen and get in the way of their enjoyment of the forum. This can be particularly problematic if that thread is getting a lot of hits, or is one of several threads a person doesn't want to follow but are frequently bumped to the top of the forum.

It's not a problem on the level of radiation poisoning or anything, but it is a nuisance.

Too.....hard......to.......move.........heavy........mouse........

Meanwhile, about 65 posters on that DeOssie thread disagree with you and 4 people who have complained, so, we'll continue to listen to the 94% majority - - no matter how much more certain of being right you are.

If you want an "Ignore Thread" capability (which I see as a pretty good idea) - - bring it up to Ian on a PM. Otherwise, you are choosing to whine in public uselessly when you could very easily and more effectively bring it up to Ian in a PM. (But that wouldn't garner as much attention for you).

Last edited:
It's.....not....about....the....mouse.....

Yes, it's about having a large platform to whine about something to no avail when you could effectively PM the one person who could solve your issue.

In fact, I will go to the Admin forum and ask Ian if he could add that very capability for the site.

Last edited:

I am only seeing two Jets threads on the front page and the other one is the mandatory jets suck thread. I wouldn't say that is too many. They are our biggest division rival after all.

Yes, it's about having a large platform to whine about something to no avail when you could effectively PM the one person who could solve your issue.

It's not about that either. It's about how some people read the forum.

In fact, I will go to the Admin forum and ask Ian if he could add that very capability for you

I've mentioned it in the past. Ian didn't add it. That's his right, and I'm not complaining about it. I was just offering a possible reason in response to your post:

Given that we've had Ian and the mods ask people not to have too many similar/duplicative threads in the past, and that mods often merge such similar/duplicative threads, I was surprised to see your post in the first place. I'd have thought you'd just note that there weren't many Jets threads on the front page and go from there.

Last edited:
BB pulls out a full bag of tricks to build team unity and inspire his players. There's the annual ritual of the lineman catching a punt to give them an afternoon off; the team screenings of inspiring movies followed by talks from the real-life people behind them; etc. etc.

But those are full-team exercises, in a football context. Ryan instead hand-selected the players he described to the media as his team's "leaders" and sequestered them from practice for a day-long seminar in how to be leaders. The rest of the team has been officially declared followers.

Think about it: the head coach just explicitly divided his team into castes. Not based on seniority or position or even leadership skills, mind you, but apparently based on how much he thinks they matter. Is there such a thing as "team dis-unity building"?

Imagine how you'd feel as one of the players left on the practice field that day, as your coach proudly explains how he whisked all of the leaders elsewhere. Let's say you're a hard-working NFL veteran who has been trying to show the young players how to be a pro. What kind of authority do you have now. Or let's say you're Greg McElroy, trying to, you know, lead the team?

It's fine to have meetings of your leadership, but you don't do it like that. It seems to me that the individual most in need of leadership training in Jets land may be Mr. Ryan.

I can't speak to how it was implemented, or whether it was a PR stunt (though that doesn't make sense at all), but everyone can't be leaders. That's just not how things work.

Doesn't change my point, though. If the Pats did the EXACT same thing there'd be 100 people falling over themselves to claim that this is an example of why BB is the greatest mastermind in football.

I can't speak to how it was implemented, or whether it was a PR stunt (though that doesn't make sense at all), but everyone can't be leaders. That's just not how things work.

Doesn't change my point, though. If the Pats did the EXACT same thing there'd be 100 people falling over themselves to claim that this is an example of why BB is the greatest mastermind in football.

Repeating.

The Patriots would NEVER send only 1/3 (ONE THIRD) of the team to an offsite leadership/team building seminar.

How is that "team building"?

You can keep repeating "What if the Patriots did it" - - they never would. You may as well ask, "What if Belichick starting publicly predicting SB championships before the season began".

Last edited:
Repeating.

The Patriots would NEVER send only 1/3 (ONE THIRD) of the team to an offsite leadership/team building seminar.

How is that "team building"?

You can keep repeating "What if the Patriots did it" - - they never would. You may as well ask, "What if Belichick starting publicly predicting SB championships before the season began".

Whether it would happen has no bearing on my point. Doesn't matter if they sent 3, 13, 23, 33, 43, 53. The commentary would be the same. "OMFG!!! BB GREATEST MAASTERMIND IN NFL HIZTORY!!!11!".

EDIT: It's not supposed to be team building, it's leadership training. You need leaders. Everyone can't be a leader. That's life.

Last edited:
Whether it would happen has no bearing on my point. Doesn't matter if they sent 3, 13, 23, 33, 43, 53. The commentary would be the same. "OMFG!!! BB GREATEST MAASTERMIND IN NFL HIZTORY!!!11!".

EDIT: It's not supposed to be team building, it's leadership training. You need leaders. Everyone can't be a leader. That's life.

Doesn't it get tiring explaining to other people what they think, and that they don't realize it?

It's not about that either. It's about how some people read the forum.

I've mentioned it in the past. Ian didn't add it. That's his right, and I'm not complaining about it. I was just offering a possible reason in response to your post:

Given that we've had Ian and the mods ask people not to have too many similar/duplicative threads in the past, and that mods often merge such similar/duplicative threads, I was surprised to see your post in the first place. I'd have thought you'd just note that there weren't many Jets threads on the front page and go from there.

I've also asked for the Ignore thread" feature as well.
Could make the site more enjoyable for some of us.
Would appreciate a mod championing the cause.
Thanks!

Doesn't it get tiring explaining to other people what they think, and that they don't realize it?

Sometimes, but then again, I'm not trying to change people's minds. It's just commentary. I don't much care whether the ultra-homers realize how sadly biased their thought process is.

I've also asked for the Ignore thread" feature as well.
Could make the site more enjoyable for some of us.
Would appreciate a mod championing the cause.
Thanks!

No prob - - I did right after post #47.

Sometimes, but then again, I'm not trying to change people's minds. It's just commentary. I don't much care whether the ultra-homers realize how sadly biased their thought process is.

I'm sorry, you're right.

BB could very well start running his team like Rex Ryan tomorrow.

Sorry to have been such an "ultra-homer" in believing there was a mile wide gap of a difference in their team concepts.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, you're right.

BB could very well start running his team like Rex Ryan tomorrow.

Sorry to have been such an "ultra-homer" in believing there was a mile wide gap of a difference in their team concepts.

You're reading way too much into my comments.

Itsw just very curious that you decide to write a post telling people what they would say, and then labelling everyone with a different viewpoint than you a homer.
You seem to be having an argumnent with yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back