Welcome to PatsFans.com

Dark Horse Prediction Joe Lieberman for Pres as a Repub

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by TheGodInAGreyHoodie, Nov 10, 2008.

1. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

Prognosticating so much fun so here is my dark horse pick, not necessarily to win the nomination but to be a viable candidate.... Joe Lieberman running for the republican nomination.

Folks have already banter about Palin, Romney and Jindal for 2012/16. I predict Joe throws his hat in too.

First I predict Joe will be caucusing republican this year.

Joe Lieberman is insisting he be welcomed back into the Democratic party and be awarded a powerful chairmanship in the senate. Very few democrats are willing to award him that much power after his active campaigning for McCain. Had he done something similar to what Powell did voice his opinion and discuss it once, then sure no problem. But Joe spoke at the Republican National Convention. He actively campaigned and was a potential running mate for McCain. This is too much for most democrats. If he want to caucus with the dems great. But he is not getting a major leadership post.

To wit, I expect the republican party desperate for votes so they can pull off an occasional filibuster will offer to him a position of ranking minority member on a powerful committee.

This will of course get Joe invited to every political talk show. With the republican party absent any other national recognized spokesman other than a defeated old man that will not run again and the governor of Alaska, Joe will quickly become the face of the party, while insisting he still a democrat at heart. He will steal a line from Reagan and say he didn't leave the democratic party the democratic party left him. This will result in him getting a decent following among many independents, democrats that feel Obama is going to far, and moderate republicans.

My dark horse prediction is Joe Lieberman runs for republican president in 2012 or 2016!

You heard it here first.

2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

A JEWISH President?
    Never happen....

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +513 / 14 / -28

May have less to do with being Jewish, and more to do with loyalty... being a turncoat is a very undesirable trait..

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

I always say nothing is impossible, well, I think this is an exception to that rule. Impossible. NEVER going to happen. They wouldn't let their presidential nominee select Lieberman as his VP, and you think he's going to be their presidential candidate in 2012, and beyond? [​IMG]

5. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

for those who are saying my prediction is impossible. I am predicting he runs, participates in the debates, maybe even carries NH. I didn't predict he wins the nomination.

as for him being veep. I think if McCain had chosen Joe instead of Sarah he might be the pres elect right now.

6. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +378 / 46 / -7

#75 Jersey

I pretty sure that the Republicans have had their share of running democrats lite (McCain) for President.

Look at the numbers from 2008, they are identical to 2004, let's assume that Obama brought out 2 million new voters, where are the others that voted in 2004? They states home, because they had no horse in the race.

The Republicans should run on lower taxes, less government, and ending illegal immigration and they will be fine.

7. Real World

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

I'm sure the base of the GOP, who showed up in droves to support Palin, would have done the same for Lieberman.

8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Before they run on those issues, they need to show that they have any interest in DOING them. There is no Republican Party anymore. Goldwater ain't walkin through that door any time soon.

9. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

The base did not show up to support Palin, they showed up because they feared Rev. Wright.

Lieberman would have helped McCain's maverick image and being a centrist, Palin made him like he was looking for a cheap trick to balance Obama being black and suck in HRC supports, and her far right wing leanings made it appear he was selling out to the extremists in his party.

10. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Hell no.

Lieberman is even more hawkish than Cheney is, look at his actions the past 8 years.

The guy wants the Middle East to burn.

11. Real World

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

Reverend Wright? The same Reverand Wright that the McCain campaign said was off limits? McCain lost the election the second he voted voted the bailout bill. He had everything against him, but the Yes vote on the BB sealed his fate.

12. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,342 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

YUP ... YUP ... and YUP.

Pressure will now be on to elect a woman and a Latin-American.

Unless Obama implodes ... the only way the republicans win in 2012 is with 1 of the above ... white stoic guys need not apply.