PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Darius Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyMossWelker

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I know our defense played terrific yesterday, but lets be honest, Arrington blows.
Where's Butler?
Butler didn't look good in the first few weeks, but he didn't look this bad. And also, I never see him on the field, has BB quit on him?, not likely, since BB uses to be patient with his young players.
So far, the biggest disappointment this season.

Last edited:
I thought Butler looked worse.

He was usually in position, but I don't actually remember him ever making a play.

Thing with Butler was opposing teams just seem to line up and throw at him every passing down and get it every time.

Him and Brace. I had hopes for brace, is he busting again? He was beasting, now he's busting.

Butler has all the athletic ability in the world, doesn't have the smarts to turn around and actually find the ball and doesn't like to tackle, I guess.

I thought Butler looked worse.

He was usually in position, but I don't actually remember him ever making a play.

Thing with Butler was opposing teams just seem to line up and throw at him every passing down and get it every time.

Exactly. Butler just wasnt getting the job done. I forget after which week the stat came out, but Butler was statistically the worse CB i the league. Arrington isnt doing that bad of a job. Atleast opposing QBs arent throwing to his side every single time and being successful. It will be interesting to see what happens when Wheatley comes back, and if he is given a chance to start

Arrington held the 2nd best slot receiver in the league (as well as a deep threat) to a low total of yards.

He made some mistakes, but he held Boldin on the line of scrimmage on multiple plays. He's got potential

hing with Butler was opposing teams just seem to line up and throw at him every passing down and get it every time.

Like they did with McCourty for about 45 minutes yesterday? Or Wilhite last year?

Its a pass rush issue, not a CB issue.

One thing to consider is Arrington's relative strength at run support compared to Butler and Wheatley. We've faced three run-heavy teams our last three games. This coming week may be the week where matchups dictate a coverage corner get a chance out there. If it's Wheatley, you can safely say that Butler does not have the coach's confidence, because Wheatley was way behind him on the depth chart in TC and doesn't offer any concrete skills that Butler lacks.

As for Brace, he's just being rotated in. His 2-gap technique isn't the best, but he's huge and makes up for it by not being pushed aside much, when he does get turned by the OL. Deaderick has played 2-gap concepts for years in Alabama, so his start shouldn't reflect terribly on Brace. It simply shows that there is a lot of competition on the DL these days, especially with Wilfork locking down one of the DE spots on run downs, which was Brace's spot.

One thing to consider is Arrington's relative strength at run support compared to Butler and Wheatley. We've faced three run-heavy teams our last three games. This coming week may be the week where matchups dictate a coverage corner get a chance out there. If it's Wheatley, you can safely say that Butler does not have the coach's confidence, because Wheatley was way behind him on the depth chart in TC and doesn't offer any concrete skills that Butler lacks.

As for Brace, he's just being rotated in. His 2-gap technique isn't the best, but he's huge and makes up for it by not being pushed aside much, when he does get turned by the OL. Deaderick has played 2-gap concepts for years in Alabama, so his start shouldn't reflect terribly on Brace. It simply shows that there is a lot of competition on the DL these days, especially with Wilfork locking down one of the DE spots on run downs, which was Brace's spot.

THIS! Absolutely agree.

Butler has made a lot of tackles even for his slight size. Arrington just looks discombobulated out there.

I share the OPs feelings.

Surely Butler is better than Arrington.

This team might have to draft another CB in the first round again.I have been very dissapointed with Butler.

I disagree. Butler has looked awful nearly every time he's had to make a play, and I don't feel as bad about Arrington being in there... plus he's better in run support.

Butler continues to say all the right things, and he looks like an upstanding young guy who knows he has to work hard to get his playing time back. So I'm hoping for the best for him... but I just don't think he gives us the best chance to win right now.

Butler has made a lot of tackles even for his slight size. Arrington just looks discombobulated out there.

I share the OPs feelings.

Surely Butler is better than Arrington.

apparently not as the coaching staff isn't letting him see the field now.

But has Butler even seen the field recently?
I really don't remember hearing his name.

I know our defense played terrific yesterday, but lets be honest, Arrington blows.
Where's Butler?
Butler didn't look good in the first few weeks, but he didn't look this bad. And also, I never see him on the field, has BB quit on him?, not likely, since BB uses to be patient with his young players.
So far, the biggest disappointment this season.

100 and 10 percent disagree. The defense improved dramatically when Butler was benched and Arrington replaced him in the starting lineup. The Patriots defense the past two weeks ( Miami & Baltimore ) were huge upgrades.

Further, Arrington just turned 24 and this is his first real action in an NFL defense. Not only is there reason to believe he will learn and improve each week, I feel he is already better than Wilhite was as a starter last season or Butler was as a starter this season.

Last edited:
apparently not as the coaching staff isn't letting him see the field now.

He was in during the Phins game, 2 plays, and both times he made great plays, better than Arrington that game. Unless he's doing awful in practice, then the little time he's seen, he has played well.

Look at the stats, even though he's played one less game, look at Butler's pass deflections compared to Arrington's.

662e6edfafa9c9eda3c87a6e8e9cc3f1-getty-98505831sc028_patriots_dolphins.jpg

100 and 10 percent disagree. The defense improved dramatically when Butler was benched and Arrington replaced him in the starting lineup. The Patriots defense the past two weeks ( Miami & Baltimore ) were huge upgrades.

Further, Arrington just turned 24 and this is his first real action in an NFL defense. Not only is there reason to believe he will learn and improve each week, I feel he is already better than Wilhite was as a starter last season or Butler was as a starter this season.

I don't know what games you're watching, but the guy is miles away from his receiver all the time, and frequently bumbling down the field, tripping up over himself as he turns around. Arrington does not have the hips or quicks for CB. That much is quite obvious. Why is he stumbling all the time? Because when he gets turned around (which is often) his body loses balance. This to me is a sign that he can't improve simply because he doesn't have natural ability. I'd prefer Wilhite.

Is it a coincidence that our D, including the secondary, has played much better since Butlers been out?

Seriously the Jets were just throwing it at Edwards even when Butler was literally stood next to him, and he didnt even compete for the ball

I think Arrington makes mistakes (he'll hopefully learn) but he's nowhere near as bad as Butler was the first few games of the season

So, you're saying Arrington is a solid, or even good corner?
That's just ridiculous, he is awful in coverage.

Seriously the Jets were just throwing it at Edwards even when Butler was literally stood next to him, and he didnt even compete for the ball

And now they're doi9ng ti to McCourty.

Our cornerbacks all have ****ty ball awareness. Its a coaching issue.

It sucks, I thought Butler and Bodden were going to be killing it as our DB's. It's funny how things change when the season starts.

I hope Butler gets his confidence back and comes back better than ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes