PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dare I speculate? Pats are a turf team

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbb9s

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Look, I know there is going to be serious resistence to this but a lot of things have changed since those uncovered Gillete field playoff games with the Colts 3 yrs ago:

A) Moss raged on turf in Minnesota to the most productive seasons during that time span of any player in the NFL

B) Brady is almost unbeatable on turf, the exception being his most recent outing, over his entire career. Seem to remember that he prefers the footings and balance advantages

C) Maroney came from a turf team on the same field as the aforementioned wide receiver and obviously had great success

D) (I considered leaving this one out) - The current kicker is a young kid who doesn't exactly get a lot of lift under the ball with a chewed up field.

Well, are those not the 4 most critical components of the Patriots offense this year? If you had to pick four that is. Brady and Maroney go without saying. Moss is the best receiver this team has and his success directly affects Maroney's success. And I can gaurantee you that the best team every year squeak out a few 3 point games here and there, probably one in playoffs at a minimum.

Almost all our games are on turf (I think @ Miami is the only grass game) . . . why would there be serious resistance ?

Almost all our games are on turf (I think @ Miami is the only grass game) . . . why would there be serious resistance ?

Oh ya.....well I was actully thinking of the good old stuff from the 80's not Fieldturf Synthetic Grass.

Look, I know there is going to be serious resistence to this but a lot of things have changed since those uncovered Gillete field playoff games with the Colts 3 yrs ago:

A) Moss raged on turf in Minnesota to the most productive seasons during that time span of any player in the NFL

B) Brady is almost unbeatable on turf, the exception being his most recent outing, over his entire career. Seem to remember that he prefers the footings and balance advantages

C) Maroney came from a turf team on the same field as the aforementioned wide receiver and obviously had great success

D) (I considered leaving this one out) - The current kicker is a young kid who doesn't exactly get a lot of lift under the ball with a chewed up field.

Well, are those not the 4 most critical components of the Patriots offense this year? If you had to pick four that is. Brady and Maroney go without saying. Moss is the best receiver this team has and his success directly affects Maroney's success. And I can gaurantee you that the best team every year squeak out a few 3 point games here and there, probably one in playoffs at a minimum.

I would agree that the Patriots are a team that will perform well on Field Turf indicated by their history on the surface, W% on turf, etc.;however, I don't know that this was the reason for acquiring Moss, Maroney, or Gostkowski. I am sure that the FO is well aware of the numbers, but I think they just like all those guys' abilities on any football field.

Interesting thought and ideas though. . . .

OK, I'll say it. I hate it. Call me a dinosaur if you wish. But I really really appreciated the Pats of the first half of this decade. Not for winning per se, but HOW they won. Few huge playmakers. Few probowls. Fantasy league poison.

They were a throwback, blue collar, line up and punch you in the mouth until you gave up, TEAM.

This edition looks deadly on offense on paper. And that sux! I LOVED it when they won boring. It was the beauty of it.

I saw the writing on the wall when the Razor was built and populated with an entirely, ummm, different kind of crowd (consider me one of the former, rowdy, low brow type). Last year's installation of the turf cemented it. The character of the team was going to change. And this season the change is evident. No more 3 yards and a splat of frozen mud slush. I am going to miss it.

Dont get me wrong. I have always been and always will be a fan of the team. But I equally always have and always will be a fan of old time football. For a while I had my cake and ate it too. Its like seeing the Old Man of the Mountain gone. It kind of leaves a hole inside.

OK, I'll say it. I hate it. Call me a dinosaur if you wish. But I really really appreciated the Pats of the first half of this decade. Not for winning per se, but HOW they won. Few huge playmakers. Few probowls. Fantasy league poison.

They were a throwback, blue collar, line up and punch you in the mouth until you gave up, TEAM.

This edition looks deadly on offense on paper. And that sux! I LOVED it when they won boring. It was the beauty of it.

I saw the writing on the wall when the Razor was built and populated with an entirely, ummm, different kind of crowd (consider me one of the former, rowdy, low brow type). Last year's installation of the turf cemented it. The character of the team was going to change. And this season the change is evident. No more 3 yards and a splat of frozen mud slush. I am going to miss it.

Dont get me wrong. I have always been and always will be a fan of the team. But I equally always have and always will be a fan of old time football. For a while I had my cake and ate it too. Its like seeing the Old Man of the Mountain gone. It kind of leaves a hole inside.

I agree. I wonder where Sam Gash is? Short yard back in 2007--Sam Gash. I'll formulate a petition and print the T-shirts!!

EDIT: While I enjoy that "brand" of Patriots football, I am excited to see the potential that this offense has to just explode on teams. There will be quite a few :25-1:00 touchdown "drives," if you can actually call them that, this year. . . . .

Last edited:

When I think of OLD TIME FOOT-BALL I think of the 70's when you could bump a reciver,and the QB'S were fair game ah... before they put skirts on them as J.Lambert once said.But I agree since the old Foxboro/Sullivan stadium was replaced it hasn't been the same.

Last edited:
I too loved the Pats with the lunchpail mentality. I live outside Baltimore, and always enjoyed rubbing the Lombardi's in their faces. They would speak of all their probowlers and I would speak of our TEAM and the Lombardi's.

Alas, are we becoming like the rest of the league, the Ratbirds, the Dolts, the Bolts, the Donks, with their stars that are going to lead them to glory?

Tedy, covered in snow, where have you gone?

Unfortunately both Stallworth and Moss reportedly like to play on grass ;)

The Pats would be foolish not to adapt. They have a hall of fame quarterback and play in a league different from even 5 years ago, where the offensive passing attack is heavily favored by the rules.

Yes they're great on turf, but they still have the defense to win in bad conditions. The term "turf team" implies they can only play on turf, which does not apply to the Patriots.

This team is designed to destroy Indy, in Indy:

- Built for speed on offense to match the Colts on turf.
- Built to put points on the board to keep pressure on Manning.
- Increasingly speedier on defense (AT, Merriweather, etc.)

The Pats would be foolish not to adapt. They have a hall of fame quarterback and play in a league different from even 5 years ago, where the offensive passing attack is heavily favored by the rules.

Yes they're great on turf, but they still have the defense to win in bad conditions. The term "turf team" implies they can only play on turf, which does not apply to the Patriots.

You're right, and I suppose January in New England with the snow coming down and 12 degrees is the same whether it's on sports turf or painted dirt. Indy won't like it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes