PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dare I say it? TO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucky

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I know a lot of people, maybe even everybody, will say this is crazy. And it'll probably never happen. But I've thought about it for a while and I think it'd make sense to at least try to get TO on the team next year. Especially since this year's WR FA and draft classes are pretty weak and the chances of retaining Givens aren't that high.

Here's how why I think it would work:

1) This would be by far the best Coach/QB combo TO has ever been with. It is also probably the strongest and most veteran locker room that would be able to put TO in his place.

2) TOs stock is as low as it could possibly go right now. So this is part of the buy low, sell high strategy. TO could probably be had for a late round pick. And his contract would have to be totally redone and heavily incentivised with team-oriented goals. So the finanacial risk would be small enough that the Pats could just release - or suspend - him at any point without significant cap implications. The potential reward, on the other hand, is really astronomical becase TO is still one of the 5 most talented and productive WRs in the NFL.

3) TO might be an ass, but he's not an idiot. He has to understand that this might be his last chance to stay in the NFL. And what better way to rehab your image than on the most selfless team in the league.

4) Even with the Eagles, TO was a model citizen in his first year. As long as the Patriots are winning and TO is playing, he will keep quiet. And with his talent, as long as he's quiet, why wouldn't he be playing?

5) The Pats have some expereince dealing with supposed malcontents in Corey Dillon and Terry Glen. And while those 2 situations worked out very differently, the 1 thing that was constant was the team's ability to disregard the distractions and concentrate on playing the game.

So I say get TO in here, give him the incentive-laden contract, back him up with some combination of cheap vets and young WRs, and let him go to work.

Eh.. i think we could find someone better.. I think Pioli has been on record as saying TO is not a patriots player..

and i still remember Rodney's comments on TO. TO can go play in the CFL, i WANT rodney back.

Bucky, It's a little early in the day to be that drunk. Please don't drive for a while.

Probably every team, and it's fans, thinks a little "what if" we could get him and stay clear of the problems. The chance the Patriots would try it is almost zero.

Would I do it ? If we could work a contract so that he could be cut without future salary cap issues, yes I would.

Crazy is right. Reid/McNabb is a very good coach combo and their locker room was full of veterans who couldn't put TO in his place. It is that exact same thinking that put Reid and McNabb in that position. They figured if they brought him to a winning environment with a pro bowl QB he would be a dominant well mannered force. To their credit they were half right.

BelichickFan said:
Probably every team, and it's fans, thinks a little "what if" we could get him and stay clear of the problems. The chance the Patriots would try it is almost zero.

Would I do it ? If we could work a contract so that he could be cut without future salary cap issues, yes I would.

Yes, perhaps every team and it's fans think "what it". But if there's one team that can do it, it's one that has won 3 superbowls in 5 years, has a superstar QB with a 10-1 career playoff record, a no-nonsense coach who is widely considered a genius, and a locker room controlled by the likes of Rodney, Willie, Bruschi, Troy, Seymour and Brady.

:eek: Put down that pipe and back away from your stash, didn't they tell you that stuff will mess up your mind? Why prove it!!! :D :D

The guy is a team killer, look at the shambles he's left in his wake so far.

edzo44 said:
:eek: Put down that pipe and back away from your stash, didn't they tell you that stuff will mess up your mind? Why prove it!!! :D :D

LOL!!. That was funny and I agree with you completely. :D
That being said, if the guy wasn't such a cancer, I would consider it. We could definately use that kind of talent in our WR corp, IMO.
But the extra baggage is not worth the risk. The guy has destroyed every team he's been on.

Last edited:
The Pats spread the ball around too much to keep TO happy. He needs to be the center of attention. He will go to a crappy team where he can be the main attraction even if they never contend for a super bowl.

Have fun in New Orleans Terrell

TO???

Its like handing the keys of the gates to heaven to the devil...

I believe we need a tall WR, but not the NFL version of the antichist!!!

jimmyjames said:
The Pats spread the ball around too much to keep TO happy. He needs to be the center of attention. He will go to a crappy team where he can be the main attraction even if they never contend for a super bowl.

Have fun in New Orleans Terrell

That's exactly my point. When TO went to Philly, they were bending over backwards to please him. They gave him a huge contract. McNabb was kissing his ass all over the TV. And Reid changed his play calling so he could throw it to TO 15 times a game. On top of all that, they basically decided that with TO on their team, they don't need any more NFL-caliber WRs. They totally spoiled the guy.

What I'm suggesting is just the opposite. Have him come in and be part of the system that's already in place. Ask HIM to change. I have no idea whether he would want to. Or whether he would accept an incentive-laden contract. But I'd hope we would at least try. Yes, Brady throws the ball to whoever is open. But let's face it, TO gets open more than any other WR in the league.

Part of me says lets get him while another part says no way. If BB thinks we should get him I'll support him 100% if he says no I'll still support him 100%.

more about "crazy"

mgcolby said:
Crazy is right. Reid/McNabb is a very good coach combo and their locker room was full of veterans who couldn't put TO in his place. It is that exact same thinking that put Reid and McNabb in that position. They figured if they brought him to a winning environment with a pro bowl QB he would be a dominant well mannered force. To their credit they were half right.
A. i really think there's something crazy about Owens. in philly that string of statements was remarkable. the exactly wrong thing at the perfect time. he seemed driven to do it. it's tho he was TRYING to get himself thrown off the team. or.....
B. there's a bunch of players, everywhere in sports, who've had their $h!t cleaned up behind them for years. just to keep them on the field/rink/pitch/court. some elite athletes haven't ever experienced adversity (outside of their sport) in years. they don't interact much with the outside world. kournikova is an example. ever since the "training camp" era of their lives began, some of them haven't been in a supermarket/done a load of laundry in years.
did you see his face in the famous driveway press conference? IMO owens actually looked scared. like he'd just begun to understand that he'd been kicked off a team. nobody was going to step in and "fix" it for him. he might not play again tn the nfl.

There are always teams desperate enough to take a talented player, no matter how destructive that player is. Somebody will take him. God help them.

BB appears to gravitate toward players who are self-motivators, unselfish, and team-oriented. Could T.O. be made to fit into a good system? Maybe, but he would have to be taught a lot of lessons that most of us learned as children. And I can't imaging BB becoming any player's daddy.

I'm guessing T.O. will end up in Tampa Bay or Dallas.

Nnnnnnnooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

F*!% T.o.
:)

No thanks. Part of what I like about rooting for this team is that they perfectly exemplify what sports SHOULD be about, but hardly ever is. T.O. is a bad human being. Get out.

edzo44 said:

Ths may be what you meant, but I'll say it anyway: that includes the Eagles AND the 49ers. Leave that manic to someone else.

bucky said:
4) Even with the Eagles, TO was a model citizen in his first year. As long as the Patriots are winning and TO is playing, he will keep quiet.

TO made his comments about McNabb when the Eagles were 4-3 this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes