PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dare I Ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger44

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
With the draft's emphasis on TE and Branches hold out, do I dare ask if we can see Watson line up at WR? Has anybody seen any hint of this? It would be interesting putting Watson on a flank with Troy and Caldwell. Imagine Watson and Jackson lining up on the same side? Yes I know, plenty of people will poohpooh my idea, but it seems much more of a possibility now. And no, I didnt say every down.

Watson may split out and take some plays in the role of the WR, but as a general - and this is a very important distinction - Ben Watson doesn't have the skill-set to be an actual WR. He has the speed, but that's not the same thing. There are other aspects - quicks, route-running, agility, etc... that just precludes him from BECOMING a WR.

He has tremendous speed, agility, etc... FOR A TIGHT END. But he is not, nor will he ever be, a wide receiver. That does not mean he can't occasionally line up in that position, though.

patsox23 said:
Watson may split out and take some plays in the role of the WR, but as a general - and this is a very important distinction - Ben Watson doesn't have the skill-set to be an actual WR. He has the speed, but that's not the same thing. There are other aspects - quicks, route-running, agility, etc... that just precludes him from BECOMING a WR.

He has tremendous speed, agility, etc... FOR A TIGHT END. But he is not, nor will he ever be, a wide receiver. That does not mean he can't occasionally line up in that position, though.

I agree with this 100%. I get into arguments all the time over this issue. Just because the guy has tremendous measurables and is going to be heavily involved in the passing game doesn't mean that he will line up as a WR.

I apologize for expounding without actually adding anything new to the discussion, but it was just something I had to get off my chest.

In the Pats' 15-play drive in the second quarter of the Arizona game, Watson lined up in the slot about 5 times. There were also times when he lined up in the slot put motioned back to a TE stance.

patsox23 said:

I disagree.....Today's hybird TE/WR's do have the skill set that blends with a WR. Watson has agility clearly.......Hands..and obviously good speed. Route Running is something that can be learned with hard work and practice. Most of the great WR's harp on the fact that you have to constantly work at route running.Watson didn't do alot of route running at Georgia. There are different types of WR's that excel in the NFL......Short...Tall etc......This new Breed of TE's like Watson...gates....Vernon Davis are closer to WR skill sets then they are the TE skill set from 10 years ago.

pats1 said:
In the Pats' 15-play drive in the second quarter of the Arizona game, Watson lined up in the slot about 5 times. There were also times when he lined up in the slot put motioned back to a TE stance.
Yea i noticed that too. Basicallytrying to mess with the teams coverage before the play snaps. Can make a LB have to quickly cover or mess up a safety cover.

Good post.....I posted the same thing last spring and most people didn't agree. Still love the idea-and still think Watson has the ability (mentally and physically) to adjust to the wide receiver role-have a feeliing you'll be seeing more of him in this role as the season progresses.

Watson will line up as a TE.

Kevin Faulk is in effect a slot receiver. His ability is one reason we actually have one more WR than we usually think.

Don't rule out Maroney either. He lined up at WR at least twice against Arizona. It may be another way to get him onto the field without removing Dillon.

Maybe the way BB plans to deal with not having Branch or a strong WR corp is to have a multiutude of options available that will make it difficult to gameplan against. That could be why we are seeing a lot of these non-WRs (Maroney, Faulk, Andrews, Watson, etc...) playing as WRs.

pats1 said:

Thanks pats1. I wasn't able to watch the game, but had a hunch it may have happened. I think some of the guys have a point when they talk of this new breed of TE/WR like Gates, Davis, Shockey, and Gonzo. Why can't we have a hybrid as well? I know that many criticize Watson saying that he cannot run good routes, but how do they know this to be true if he hasn't been tested at doing it? Case in point, we have too many people rushing to judgement on a players ability based upon a weekly sports magazine they read and are now experts on.

Here is where our TE become invaluable. If the defense packs the box with 8 guys to stop the run, put Watson outside at the flank, Dillon and Lomo in the backfield with Graham as a blocker. Who cares who the other receiver is, he is a decoy. Use the play action and let Watson go 1on1 with a cb 40 yards downfield for a jump ball. line that up 2-3 times, and that will unpack that box in a hurry.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Watson will line up as a TE.

Kevin Faulk is in effect a slot receiver. His ability is one reason we actually have one more WR than we usually think.

Nobody said he wouldn't, but you are wrong. In the AZ game, as pats1 pointed out, he lined up at WR a number of times. I didn't know that the TE slot pushes to the edge of the field. Maybe just maybe he lined up as a WR. I did not call Watson a WR either, but he will line up there during the season and find some success outside
of the TE spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes