PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Danny Woodhead or Leon Washington?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL, Sam McGuffie is terrible. I swear, do some of you draft people ever watch these guys play or do you just look at 40 numbers?

I wouldn't say McGuffie is terrible. I would say he had an unfortunate career in college therefore he went undrafted. By unfortunate I mean he had a lot of injuries, 3 concussions as a freshman at Michigan and several injuries his junior season. After that freshman season he transferred to Rice to be closer to home and he didn't see eye to eye with Michigan's head coach. His first year at Rice as a sophomore he lead the team in rushing (almost 900 yards) and in receptions. Like I said his junior year he had a lot of injuries. His last season in 2012, they asked him to switch to receiver from running back, and he did so without a hitch, catching over 50 passes for over 600 yards and 5 TDs. If you think he sucks, then TJ Moe must really suck, having played receiver his whole career and being less productive in 2012 than McGuffie was, and McGuffie was doing it for the first time. Mcaguffie is the only player in Rice history to have over 1000 yards receiving and rushing, so he's very versatile.

Also his measurables were insane, ran a 4.37 (some say 4.31, some say 4.1 !!), 11.2 broadjump, 42 vertical, 6.57 3 cone drill, 3.93 20 yard shuttle.

I'd say if a team gives McGuffie a chance, he could be a Woodhead type. Woodhead can run and catch the ball, and McGuffie obviously is versatile too. He's also bigger at 5'10 200. Undrafted free agent like Woodhead was. Woodhead was healthy his whole college career, so obviously he was more productive, but it was Division III.

LOL, Sam McGuffie is terrible. I swear, do some of you draft people ever watch these guys play or do you just look at 40 numbers?

who cares?

what I want to know is...where's the .gif , Gif Man?

stop making sense and get back to work...

Re: Re: Danny Woodhead or Leon Washington?

Fixed for accuracy. Don't forget that just because it's about money doesn't mean that that's all it's about. Many players want more money because they view it as respect. I think many of us believe that played a huge part in the Welker situation.

I'm not saying Woody left for more money or not, but again you make assumptions that I have a hard time making. You assume Woody left because he wanted to, and you even suggest that he may have taken less money to do so. While both of those things could be true, I honestly have a hard time believing either of them, sorry.

Can you name another NFL franchise that has had a winning record every year since 2001? The reason this team is able to do that is Belichick plans for the short term and the long term. He drafted Vereen and Ridley in 2011 with the intent to let Green-Ellis leave in 2012 and Woodhead to leave in 2013. If Bill starts varying off plan for players the bigger plan fails.

Was Woodhead a good player who is having a great season in San Diego? Yes absolutely but a plan is a plan and this decision was part of the long term team building plan. Take a look at this down the road a couple years I'd be willing to be you will have a different perspectives.

Nah, let's have mollasses 250lb Blount returning kicks.

I'm sure that the plan wasn't to have Blount returning kicks, but that became a no-brainer when all of Washington, Vereen, and Boyce became either inactive or injured.

For all of the crap that Blount gets, he's actually extremely effective considering the fact that only 1/3 of all kickoffs were getting returned through the first 5 weeks of the season.

Take a look at our last 2 kick returners, McCourty and Edelman vs Blount (neither of which makes sense to use at the moment due to their importance for actual live game reps):

McCourty--23.7 average (2 of his 3 seasons had longs of only 24 and 27 yds)

Edelman --21.7 average (longs of 32, 32, and 37 in his three seasons)

Blount --23.3 average (long of 30)

Blount is actually right up there with either player in terms of both kickoff return average and long return. He's a fine option for the moment.

Can you name another NFL franchise that has had a winning record every year since 2001? The reason this team is able to do that is Belichick plans for the short term and the long term. He drafted Vereen and Ridley in 2011 with the intent to let Green-Ellis leave in 2012 and Woodhead to leave in 2013. If Bill starts varying off plan for players the bigger plan fails.

Was Woodhead a good player who is having a great season in San Diego? Yes absolutely but a plan is a plan and this decision was part of the long term team building plan. Take a look at this down the road a couple years I'd be willing to be you will have a different perspectives.

I think you have a great point with both the current and long term planning.

I also feel that Belichick takes advantage of closer competitions with the player who is cheaper vs the salary cap as much as possible. It's a shame that Vereen became injured this season, but it happens. We may not be having this conversation otherwise.

We've seen these kinds of moves with cheaper players who are competitive in their positions plenty of times. I think it's a very reasonable rule to stick to, even if it isn't going to work all of the time. It does seem to be cost efficient and it allows us to stay under the cap and plan for the future.

We actually may see the same thing with one of Ridley or Vereen for the 2015 season as there is always a player or two that is brought in from the draft, free agency, or UDFA methods that are often just as viable. Of course we'd all prefer to see our familiar players who know the system stay with us, but there are difficult decisions every year. Unfortunately the decision with Woodhead was one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down