PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Danny Amendola's 2015 Salary Cap Scenarios

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be interested, Miguel, if you put on your Capologist hat and gave us a possible scenario of a contract redo that would reflect Amendola's likely production in a an offense where he'd be competing for targets with Edelman, Gronk, LaFell, Wright, and Dobson.

In his defense, he shouldn't be blamed for the Pats giving him a much bigger contract than what he ultimately produced on the field. On the other hand, in the only 2 games where he went into the contest as one of the featured receivers, (opening day in 2013, and the recent Jet game), he DID produce everything that was expected.

No one would be complaining about Amendola had he remained healthy is first year, and if he had, Julian Edelman might still be a fringe WR/ST player as opposed to being a very productive WR and social media marketing phenomenon ;) 20-20 hindsight is a beautiful thing.

BOTTOM LINE, whether the Pats were right to sign him for what they did is really moot. The reality as it stands today is DA at his current contract/production ratio isn't viable. I'm wondering what kind of new deal that would bring that cap number down to reflect the likely production he'd get within the Pats current receiver corps, but would allow him the kind of incentives that would pay him if things reversed themselves and he found himself as a major target of the offense for an extended period of time.

Danny Amendola's 2015 Salary Cap Scenarios

Miguel Benzan

Looking at the various cap scenarios for Danny Amendola.

Continue reading...
Miguel, good article, thanks for what you do as always! I was curious if you knew what we paid Leon Washington on his initial contract back in the 2013 offseason. I am trying to evaluate what we value an elite KR at who can make moderate contributions on offense. From what I have seen in the last 9 games, Amendola has proven to be a very good KR and can provide quality depth on offense behind Edelman.

I think Amendola's gone and the only reason is, since his injury allowed Edelman to emerge, it's become obvious that he duplicates Edelman's abilities and no more. You don't need a backup slot receiver, many teams would bid for a good slot receiver, which he is and a decent returner.

On the other hand, if the Patriots are going to play two TEs and Vereen, they'll usually use two receivers and when they use more, or substitutes they'd want one with abilities a bit different from LaFell and Edelman, even if they can back up the slot too. If not, little shifty guys that can return kicks and play a little WR aren't in huge demand (check that, there's a large supply = not rare), in fact they are often UDFA or 7th round picks (all three of ours).

I think he's played well when counted on, but he lost his job to Edelman when he first had the groin injury.

Last edited:
The Post-June 1 designation frees up almost enough money ($4.5M) for the Pats to have an operating budget to work on during the season. That could be quite useful.

Leon Washington's 2013 cap number was $1.2 million.

If Amendoler substantively contributes to an undefeated post season, we can keep positive memories about his role as a Patriot when he's a post 1 June 2015 cap casualty..

Ken, Amendola already has $500,000 in NLTBE incentives tied to receptions.

The Post-June 1 designation frees up almost enough money ($4.5M) for the Pats to have an operating budget to work on during the season. That could be quite useful.

That obviously seems like a nice option. I don't understand it, however. What is the post-June 1 designation and how does it get the remaining part of Amendola's signing bonus off the salary cap books? I thought that there would then be a $2.4M hit on the 2016 cap. I'm happy to do some remedial reading, if Miguel has an old article or post that helps explain this. Thanks.

just use his $$ towards revis and mccourty...boom done. :D

oldrover's projected salary cap for Amendola next year:

Bowler-Hat-Filled-Money-byAndrew-Paterson-Getty-483072273.jpg

o_O

Yes, there is a $2.4 million cap hit in 2016 if the June 1 designation is used. Fixed my mistake

Unless the Pats find someone great in the draft or FA I bet DA plays out the 2015 season. Not sure what they might do about the cap hit but I'm betting he plays for us. I haven't looked but wonder who the FA's are this year as I bet that has an effect on DA. Plus the fact I wouldn't be surprised if Dobson is gone.

Unless the Pats find someone great in the draft or FA I bet DA plays out the 2015 season. Not sure what they might do about the cap hit but I'm betting he plays for us. I haven't looked but wonder who the FA's are this year as I bet that has an effect on DA. Plus the fact I wouldn't be surprised if Dobson is gone.

Dobson is on a rookie contract, wont hit the proven performance escalator so apart from opportunity cost he is dirt cheap. If we manage to resign all key FA (incl. Revis) there wil be no money to sign anyone who would be a sure upgrade over Dobson.

In other words, it wont happen. He will be on the roster next year at the very, very least until after camp.

Amendola isn't really a backup slot wide out he's our starter slot guy and we don't throw to him often. Edelman really isn't a slot guy anymore. He lines up everywhere. Edelman as a slot wide out is one of the biggest misconceptions around imo. I'll take Dola back but not a cent over vet minimum.

I also think that Amendola is gone. He has shown that if he is a starter, he can produce. So, why should he sign a lowball contract for us. Obviously, his contract will be torn up. He has a annual roster bonus of $500K and salaries of $4M, $5M, and $6M.

The OPEN question is how much is Amendola worth to the patriots. He is our #3 WR and our #5 receiving target. There are many teams that might pay Amendola to be more than the #5 receiving target.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing