PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Danny Amendola: "I will donate $100 for every pass I catch next season"

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Danny Amendola: "I will donate $100 for every pass I catch next season"

Man, I cannot wait for September. Amendola is gonna be a beast in the offense.

Man, I love Amendola. A class act all around.

There is a chance we're seeing things differently, and I'm possibly mixing up my version of the "slot" and quick passing attack that will be kept, but in reality--there's certainly going to be WR's lined up in, and continuing to catch passes out of the slot position, no? Maybe we're not on the same page as to how much the "slot position" will be used? Enlighten me please (not meaning it to sound sarcastic either).

I didn't mean to imply he's discarding the slot position. By "slot receiver-based," I meant one thing and one thing only: the percentage of passes that go to the slot WR, which has been on the order of 25-30% the last few years. I suspect the goal is to spread the ball around more evenly, so no one pass catcher accounts for that large a total.

Maybe I should add a sarcastic smiley?
If you were intending sarcasm, Condon, I apologize. Like a lot of people, my emotions are running a little high today and it just pissed me off to read responses which seemed critical of what I interpreted as just a generous, heart-felt gesture from a pro athlete. I can be as cynical and snarky as anyone at times, but I just feel like this is a point in time when good deeds need to simply be taken at face value, and what Amendola has pledged seems just that to me - a good deed.

I don't get the dissing on Welker, but this is one of the best things I've read today following the Boston bombings. What an incredible gesture/words on Amendola's part. Whatever he does for the Pats, his heart is in the right place. As a human being its in the right place when he says he'll donate $100 per catch, as a football player its in the right place when he says $200 for every miss. Never heard such a thing before.

Just to put this in perspective:

Amendola will make about $3.5M next year. If he catches 100 passes, he'll donate 10k, or 0.28% of his salary. Let's say that an average person is making 50,000 a year... to match the proportionate donation, they would need to donate $144. However, that person will not get an article written about them.

Amendola will probably make more money from endorsements/good publicity to more than match that figure.

I would like to see a big time Boston athlete really step up and make a impactful donation.

Amendola will make about $3.5M next year. If he catches 100 passes, he'll donate 10k, or 0.28% of his salary. Let's say that an average person is making 50,000 a year... to match the proportionate donation, they would need to donate $144. However, that person will not get an article written about them.

Amendola will probably make more money from endorsements/good publicity to more than match that figure.

I would like to see a big time Boston athlete really step up and make a impactful donation.

Most people who make $50,000 won't donate even $100, let alone near $150. Plus, I doubt this is the only charitable donation he makes all year. What if he has a cause he also believes in, and will be donating $10,000 to that as well?

Since when do we start judging individual charitable donations based on what the person could reasonably afford to that ONE cause. I'm not saying carve a statue for the guy, but Jebus H. Cripes it still helps!

How about a different perspective?

This is a generous and heartfelt gesture which will be graciously welcomed and appreciated by the community.

How about a different perspective?

This is a generous and heartfelt gesture which will be graciously welcomed and appreciated by the community.

If they all would join Danny and now will fork, that would be outstanding.

Classy move. Hopefully other players on the team follows suit with similar pledges.

We don't know whether this has happened in the past and/or will in the future. My guess is that it both likely has happened and will again in the future, but we never hear of it. To be honest, the amount of charity work done by members of all of our pro teams is more than substantial. This has been noted by those on both local and national levels.

Great gesture.

Slight dig at Welker with the dropped catch bit though? :D

That's great news from D.A. Class Act!

You know, I pre-ordered an Amendola jersey and this makes another reason why I am happy I pre-ordered it! Lets hope he picks his number soon!

Amendola is def a high character guy and I hope he has more receptions than welker!!

people may even cheer for a dropped pass here or there...another $200 to help!

Some more perspective:

Despite what is the popular thinking in recent years...as one of the evil wealthy people, Amendola will already be making quite a donation (by way of the government grabbing its share).

As tempting as it is to be generous with other people's money (especially those with a lot of it), even rich people have budgets. Who is to say that Amendola doesn't already have a certain percentage of his salary set aside for charitable donations? For all we know, Amendola already has pledged $350,000 in donations elsewhere. Now, he would be donating more than 10% of his salary. Or, maybe he is a selfish prick, and is hoarding the other $3,490,000. Who knows. But he sure was under no obligation to pledge what he did. However, just an educated guess, but something tells me that someone gracious enough to make such a pledge so quickly is probably not a charity virgin.

Let's say 100 more Boston athletes (past and present) follow Amendola's lead and donate a paltry average of $10,000. Adds up to $1,000,000 real quick.

Sorry for the rant, but dismissing someone's generosity because "they could have done more" is :confused: and :rolleyes: and a little bit of :mad:

:)

Wow, most ridiculous/jackazz post of the year nominee.

So, if Amendola is a typically generous charitable giver, Ice_Ice_Brady is expecting Amendola to donate 20 to 30 % of his salary to this one event and nothing else???

If you have such high expectations of professional athletes, I.I.Brady, have you donated your proportional amount of $144, or more, yet??? (I've made a donation that corresponds to my income and what I donate to other charities.)

Have you stepped up, I.I.Brady, and made an "impactful donation" equivalent to your salary??? If not, will you only do so if a media report is written up about you???

Have you, I.I.Brady, decided to forsake all other charities that you usually donate to and put it all toward Marathon Survival Relief???

Do you think, I.I.Brady, that Amendola's statement might just possibly have been a positive motivator for other athletes and general citizens to make a donation of time and money???

Do you, I.I.Brady, feel in your heart that making a statement like you did is really a helpful/positive thing during this situation???

The Kraft's have announced they will be matching $100,000 of donations towards Marathon bombing relief. You, I.I.Brady, gonna be posting next how they should be donating more??? This is yet another story that will help to get folks to donate. Maybe if you can't donate your "$144", you can donate $72 through this program.
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50145047n

That's unfair. Amendola will probably dish about 20% to his agent/management team, off the top. Throw in another 5+% for state tax and 35% Federal (unlike the INVESTOR class, Romney for example, he is paying at the top income tax rate, not the 15% investors get away with). Throw in a plethora of donations or don't - that's HIS choice.

What he did with this is raise awareness. Many people will probably see his good gesture and match (or match $10-$20 instead of $100-200, at least).

In addition, guys like this have, what, a 10-15 year (if they're extremely lucky) working life? It always sounds like a lot more money when you get it all at once.

It was a classy move, and one of good will. Cynicism isn't called for here.

I'm hoping they take that the teams make that "Boston Strong 617" jersey available with all proceeds going to the funds for the victims. Sign me up for that!

On another note, a lot of the athletes do deserve your ire - many of the "charities" they front are crap, keeping huge %'s of the donations, while the athletes themselves donate nothing or next to nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back