Welcome to PatsFans.com

Danny Almonte enters into marriage fraud

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by FreeTedWilliams, May 19, 2006.

1. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +304 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/draft2006/news/story?id=2450606

This goes to show how little the media investigates matters. You remember Danny he was the 15yr old illegal alien who helped pitch the Bronx little leaguers to the little league world series (screwing all those stupid American kids who played by the rules). Now he "marries" a thrity yr old woman on the eve of the major league draft, and NOBODY EVEN THINKS ABOUT MARRIAGE FRAUD! I know for a fact that this kid was illegal back then, so I highly doubt that this status has changed, so he "marries" this woman, and presto, green card.

I can only hope my brethron back in NYC, put an end to this.

2. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Wouldn't he have a green card/work permit anyway when he gets drafted? I can't imagine all of the Latino players in MLB came here legally. I'm not an immigration expert. What is the benefit to him to getting married?

3. FreeTedWilliams

Ratings:
    +304 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

Most foreign born ballplayers are here on work visa, applied for by thier major league teams. They are also not eligible for the MLB draft because it only covers 18 yr olds who live in the US. However, in order to be eligible for a visa you must be admissible to the United States, and because Danny has lived illegally in the US for all these years he is NOT. The only way around this is to marry an American citizen, and get your green card that way, then those prior tresspasses are forgiven.

4. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That's not entirely right. A temporary visitor who overstays their visa can apply for a new visa 10 years after returning to their home country (as long as they didn't commit crimes either while they were here or back in their country).

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  5. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Not only that, but if he shows any promise at all, he'll get a free pass. There was a Cuban ball player that was wisked away from Cuba during the night on a speedboat a few years back. Do you think he had a visa? In regards to Danny, I was under the impression that they closed that marriage loophole.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2005
  6. FreeTedWilliams

Ratings:
    +304 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

Cubans get asylum virtually automatically, so their cases are different.

There is no statutory amount of time that you have to stay out of the US after you overstay a visa, your visa is automatically cancelled and you have to return to your home country and get another one, along with a waiver for breaking the law.

They have atempted to close the marriage loophole with interviews, but in large alien communiites, such as NYC, you can put that interview off for more than a few years, and also they do not have the manpower to investigate this kind of stuff.

7. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

So, bottom line, Danny must really suck.

8. mikey

mikey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

[​IMG]

Mr. and Mrs. Almonte