PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Danny Aiken had a bad game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Last edited:
Besides the low snap that is blamed for Gost's miss, Reiss also saw a bad snap on one of the makes.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...ots-third-quarter-review-vince-wilfork-shines

And a false start. I'd forgotten about the false start.

I noticed that, but didn't bother mentioning it since I'd already started a drop Aiken thread and nobody cared.

When the holder/punter manages to lunge for all the snaps and not lose yardage, that's a good game for Aiken. We've seen bad games for Aiken before.

Lonie Paxton is a free agent. :)

Aiken isn't very good. He is an inconsistent long snapper.

I'd say he's very consistent. He manages to go games at a time without putting the ball where it's easily handled.

And yet none of the other long snappers they brought in could win the job. Tyler Ott, anyone?

I may be just completely ignorant to the difficulty of the long snap, but it seems to me that if kickers can do what they do consistently with their feet, there should be at least 32 people in the world who can long snap consistently when that's their only job.

Ninko can do it. I think snapping problems are akin to the yips in golf or wildness in baseball (Steve Glass, Daniel Bard.). I don't consider it a major worry right now, but I think it bears watching.

Aiken has more bad games than good, somehow Tyler Ott was even worse in pre-season!

It's a pretty poor showing from any LS they bring in to compete because Aiken has had a career based on Mesko & Allen bailing him out on wayward snaps and a few even they couldn't get under control.

Hopefully this is Aiken's last year in a Pats uniform.

Aiken has not made us forget about Paxton yet. Ryan Allen has bailed him out time and time again from high and low snaps. It's a miracle more punts have not been blocked. At least the coaching staff seemed to be aware that LS was an issue in the offseason. Shame they couldn't find anybody to beat him out.

Paxton was as solid and reliable as they come. Aiken's bad snap clearly was the reason that the Ghost missed that field goal. Can't Steve Belichick long snap? His Grandfather went from coach to full back with the Lions.....

This is a useful thread. I meant to bring this up in my post game thread and forgot. The bad snap on the FG was obvious , but its his inconsistency in putting it on the money on punts that's really disturbing to me. It's to the point where sarying he's inconsistent is the wrong term. He IS consistent, consistently inaccurate. :eek: I thought, for the most part, he did a good job last season, but THIS year, he's regressed.

Bottom line, I'm sure its a confidence matter. If you make enough bad snaps, wondering if this is going to be another one when you are about to make a snap, can't be good. Its like a golfer who gets the yips. Its hard to get rid of them. (Sadly, I know ;) )

This is a useful thread. I meant to bring this up in my post game thread and forgot. The bad snap on the FG was obvious , but its his inconsistency in putting it on the money on punts that's really disturbing to me. It's to the point where sarying he's inconsistent is the wrong term. He IS consistent, consistently inaccurate. :eek: I thought, for the most part, he did a good job last season, but THIS year, he's regressed.

Bottom line, I'm sure its a confidence matter. If you make enough bad snaps, wondering if this is going to be another one when you are about to make a snap, can't be good. Its like a golfer who gets the yips. Its hard to get rid of them. (Sadly, I know ;) )

What worries me is, if he can't do the work to make non pressure snaps on the money reliably (his only reason to be here) why should we think he isn't going to launch some airball when a bad snap could cost a crucial game? If he's not out there practicing with someone until his fingers are bleeding, so his snaps starting hitting people in the hands, they need to give someone a chance who cares enough to hone his craft.

Speaking of which, when is Lonnie Paxton night? :D Never knew how hard it was to find a reliable LS since he left. Got one great year from that Hawaiian kid and it's been downhill since.

What worries me is, if he can't do the work to make non pressure snaps on the money reliably (his only reason to be here) why should we think he isn't going to launch some airball when a bad snap could cost a crucial game? If he's not out there practicing with someone until his fingers are bleeding, so his snaps starting hitting people in the hands, they need to give someone a chance who cares enough to hone his craft.
He did have that one that went over Allen's head vs the Colts. Lucky that it didn't cost us that game.

Aiken has had limited participation at practice wed, thur, fri. does that mean he only snaps two airballs instead of four? How do you practice snaps on a limited basis?

Aiken has had limited participation at practice wed, thur, fri. does that mean he only snaps two airballs instead of four? How do you practice snaps on a limited basis?

Well now he's concussed, so it probably won't get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back