PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Daniel Graham named pats captain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than going out for the coin toss, does the captain designation technically mean anything during the game?

Are they the ones to report eligible receivers to the refs? or submit the decision as to whether they decline a penalty? I believe anyone on the field and the head coach can call a timeout so I don't think that is captains only.
I don't think the rules care who the captains are. Players have to report themselves as eligible, anyone can call a timeout, and I think the coach calls whether a penalty is accepted or declined. It matters more in practice and at meetings.

I've felt for a while that BB would pursue Graham more aggressively than say Branch or Givens, because he's repeatedly said that big, fast, strong guys are the most difficult to find. TE has also been one of the positions he's willing to spend 1st round picks on. I hope and think he's going to try and sign him.

...prompts a thought: perhaps they should value Graham comparable to the way Mark Bavaro was valued, as the two have often been compared (including by Bavaro himself). I don't know if relative salaries for that era are still available publicly, but surely BB knows. The idea would be to value Graham relative to current TE's similarly to how Bavaro was valued relative to his contemporaries. And I bet Graham would be honored by the comparison.

Agree with both of these thoughts. Graham is a rare talent and his lack of production as a receiving TE is due to the need to have him blocking. He has made some thrilling catches and had the occasional monster receiving game. He is usually otherwise employed in the game plan. The Bavaro comparison is a good one and I really enjoyed the Globe article citing Bavaro. IMO, BB wants both graham and watson because of the versatility and confusion to the defense that they bring together.

Other than going out for the coin toss, does the captain designation technically mean anything during the game?

Are they the ones to report eligible receivers to the refs? or submit the decision as to whether they decline a penalty? I believe anyone on the field and the head coach can call a timeout so I don't think that is captains only.

Yes actually it does.

NFL Teams with more captains tend to catch more breaks and get better calls than teams with less captains. Chicago and Indy, teams that catch every break known to man have about 13 captains apiece. Other teams like Oakland who gets screwed by the refs has only 2 captains.
The Pats are slowly trying to assign more captains for this reason. And it does directly affect the game.

Why was the "fight" at the end of the Pats/Bears game not penalized even though the Bears player started it and threw a punch??? --More captains

Why were there pass int. calls against the Pats but not against the Bears --more captains

why do the Colts whine until rules are changed to favor their entire team -- More Captains

Why is it that in every single bears game this year, a ball seems to pounce or fly directly out of the opposition's hands and towards the Bears?? --More Captains.

Do i really have to keep going?

Daniel Graham being called a captain doesn't do much for his contract. We can't say whether he is resigned or not. What we can say is that LeKevin Smith will take his role at captain if he leaves.

You have my word on that.

Last edited:
Yes actually it does.

NFL Teams with more captains tend to catch more breaks and get better calls than teams with less captains. Chicago and Indy, teams that catch every break known to man have about 13 captains apiece. Other teams like Oakland who gets screwed by the refs has only 2 captains.
The Pats are slowly trying to assign more captains for this reason. And it does directly affect the game.

Why was the "fight" at the end of the Pats/Bears game not penalized even though the Bears player started it and threw a punch??? --More captains

Why were there pass int. calls against the Pats but not against the Bears --more captains

why do the Colts whine until rules are changed to favor their entire team -- More Captains

Why is it that in every single bears game this year, a ball seems to pounce or fly directly out of the opposition's hands and towards the Bears?? --More Captains.

Daniel Graham being called a captain doesn't do much for his contract. We can't say whether he is resigned or not. What we can say is that LeKevin Smith will take his role at captain if he leaves.

Yikes, i never put all that together quite like that.
Of course.
"The correct answer is always obvious ... once it has been given."

I believe Ty Law.

I don't think Ty was ever a captain in the BB era. Even his teamates knew while he was a talent he was not leadership material. Milloy was the captain in the defensive backfield when he was here. And in a bold move Rodney was named captain on his departure even though it was his first season on the team.

It's rare to have two captains within a unit here, I think Vrabes and Tedy were the recent exception, and Troy and Graham now makes two among receivers. Brady is of course, and Izzo is on ST. On defense it's DL Seymour, LB Tedy and Vrabes and Rodney at DB.

I love Graham (In a heterosexual way of course)! He is so valuable to this team its rediculous! He deserves to be a captian. Bring him back next year!

Yes actually it does.

maybe I am just slower than others, but i don't see why having more captains will get you more breaks in a game. is there some kind of unspoken rule that says more captains = more breaks? I have never heard of anything like this before.

maybe I am just slower than others, but i don't see why having more captains will get you more breaks in a game. is there some kind of unspoken rule that says more captains = more breaks? I have never heard of anything like this before.

Uhm, I believe the whole post was written with tongue firmly in cheek.

I doubt we will lose every one of our FA's in the off season, so keeping DG should be a priority IMHO. We have the cash to sign our own as well as a UFA or two from other teams.

I think keeping Graham is an important move, he sacrifices offensive production in order to block and does really block quite well. Upon his recent return, Brady was protected much better, the running game improved and Light was seen smiling again.

We should reward unselfish productive players like Dan Graham.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back