PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

D'Angelo Hall penalty on Smith - Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loofasisgeek

On the Roster
Reaction score
What was illegal about D Halls jam on Steve Smith? He was within 5 yards. He jacked him, for sure, but hey that alone is not a penalty, is it?

http://www.nfl.com/ "One fine mess" story on homepage shows video.

What was illegal about D Halls jam on Steve Smith? He was within 5 yards. He jacked him, for sure, but hey that alone is not a penalty, is it?

http://www.nfl.com/ "One fine mess" story on homepage shows video.

Because he whacked him on and around the head when Smith wasn't even trying to get off the line (it was a running play). The definition of unnecessary roughness. Just a stupid play.

Side note...way to get out there and block Steve! I'm sure the RBs appreciate it.

Because he whacked him on and around the head .

On or around the head? The video doesn't show that. His hands are squarely in Smiths chest/shoulders. Don't tell me that the chest is considered to be off limits because of its proximity to the head...

and does it matter if Smith was trying to get off the line or that it was a running play? How the hell is the db supposed to jam a receiver if has to wait first to see if it's a running play?

Last edited:
On or around the head? The video doesn't show that. His hands are squarely in Smiths chest/shoulders. Don't tell me that the chest is considered to be off limits because of its proximity to the head...

and does it matter if Smith was trying to get off the line or that it was a running play? How the hell is the db supposed to jam a receiver if has to wait first to see if it's a running play?

Before you jump on someone who was responding to your question, rewatch the video, because I got the same impression. He jammed him in the face mask and maybe even throat, which I assume is against the rules.

Before you jump on someone who was responding to your question, rewatch the video, because I got the same impression. He jammed him in the face mask and maybe even throat, which I assume is against the rules.

I have no personal reason to defend Hall, and his interference penalty was atrocious (and seemingly unnecessary as it appears Smith wouldn't have caught up to it anyway), but...

I replayed and paused the video. Hall's left hand was in Smith's armpit/shoulder. The right hand is a little cloudy, but my best guess is that it's on the top of the shoulder and not the face mask. It was certainly wide enough to not be full on.

It looked vicious. A) Because it was and B) because Smith was appallingly poor in blocking/faking the pass.

It looked like a penalty because one player was playing and the other was lollygagging. That's why coaches always say you can get hurt by not playing full-out. To me, that call looks like a "rep"/pay-back/etc. type call.

Dude, that is exactly what the video shows. Smith's head pops back and that just wouldn't happen if he was hit just in the chest/shoulders.

Because it was away from the play and Smith wasn't in a position to defend himself. If the ball is snapped and the receiver makes no effort to move, got ahead and give him a shove (just in case it is a flea flicker or some other trick play). Just don't snap his head back with a two-handed shot. Doing it right after a big PI call is not the brightest move.

Same concept as attacking the punter/kicker on special teams or blasting the QB after an interception if they are away from the play and making no attempt to get into the play. Definitely roughness. Totally unnecessary. Really stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes