Welcome to PatsFans.com

Danbury teacher awakens student sleeping in class; student sues

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

Someone put a fork in us please. This country is over. I can hear a lady singing, and she's looking like Bartolo Colon.

[​IMG]

Danbury teacher awakens student sleeping in class; student sues

March 13, 2008

DANBURY, Conn. (AP) - Danbury officials have been notified they are being sued by a student who was awakened in class by a teacher who made a loud noise.

Documents filed with the Town Clerk, a prelude to a lawsuit, claim that a sleeping student suffered hearing damage when his teacher woke him up by slamming her hand down on the boy's desk in December.

Attorney Alan Barry says 15-year-old Vinicios Robacher suffered pain and "very severe injuries to his left eardrum" when teacher Melissa Nadeau abruptly slammed the palm of her hand on his desk on Dec. 4.

A city official says the matter has been referred to Danbury's insurance carrier.

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080313/NEWS/803130424
  2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +30 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I wonder if the Danbury schools have a nutrition policy,maybe he could be kicked out for packing candy. Either way you're right stick a fork in us its all over but the crying. Allthough maybe he should be home schooled. :D
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  3. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

Vinicios needs to watch Tom and Jerry more often. I bet he would cry like a girl if a mouse cracked his kneecap with a pipe.
  4. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

We're raising a nation of coddled, spoiled babies. Sensitivity to words, aversion of responsibility, and aggression towards legtimate authority; not a good combination at all.
  5. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +30 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

All joking aside this kid and his parents are one of main the reasons public school have become so bad imo. The school districs a terrified of doing anything they'll be sued. You want to know why theres no more playing tag, dodge-ball, ect, at rescess. Why classrooms are disrupted to the point nothing get taught. Its people like this kid and his parents who over the years have filed frivilous lawsuit after lawsuit.
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +196 / 7 / -23

If the teacher did not do anything, the headline could very well read: The Most Expensive Education System in the Country and an apathetic, overpaid Teacher allows students to sleep.
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +365 / 1 / -9

We Live In A Police State
    :singing::singing::singing:
  8. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

You're right. The parents are horrendous. My mother was a middle school teacher; one day, a boy called a black girl THE word. You know, that one that Michael Richards enjoys shouting at hecklers. They punished him, notified his parents, and then had a meeting with them. They blamed the teachers, because they didn't "give him enough to keep him busy." I thought about being a high school history teacher in college, but my tenure would have probably ended with the brutal beating of a parent like that.
  9. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +614 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

I had one teacher whose class I slept in once in a while ... we called him "Overhead Ed".

I got an "A" ... :D
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

We need a voucher system ASAP. We need to encourage private schooling, not exterminate it.
  11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +196 / 7 / -23

Not sure that is the answer, but do believe in some type of court reform that teachers should not be sued for doing their job.. my fear for the voucher system is that it could give rise to extreme faith based groups who are well funded and could dominate the playing field.
  12. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

So they filed some documents in prelude to a lawsuit? Which means that this 'case' hasn't even gotten as far as the drycleaning pants guy or the knuckleheaded Rams fans' lawsuits(both of which got nowhere btw) and we're already using it as a harbinger of doom?

People have filed retarded lawsuits since Solomon. Its a little known historical fact that right after Solomon almost chopped the baby in half he had to deal with some nut who wanted to sue god for 'felonious pestilence bringing.' Do you think the ancient Israelites got all wound up? No, they had the teensiest shred of faith in their legal system's ability to walk the line between getting bogged down in frivolous lawsuits vs not locking the common man out of the system completely.

The only thing this points to is the rise of the internet. The old media couldn't be bothered with reporting every stupid lawsuit that found its way onto some judge's desk for all of five seconds before he busted out the big stamp that said "DISMISSED." They knew better.
  13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +365 / 1 / -9

I went to sleep in school once (hangover) the teacher picked up an eraser and hit me in the forehead, I had to go down and see the nurse, she put two stitches in my head, my father was notified about it and he knocked three of my teeth out when I got home.

:bricks:
  14. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Jeesh, what did they use for erasers back in the olden days?
  15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +365 / 1 / -9

It was a piece of wood about 7" long and 3" wide with felt attached to the lenth of one side, they were the teachers favorite weapon if they couldn't sneak up on you and hit you in face then they threw it at you.

:bricks:
  16. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +30 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Now thats the kind of school/parent relationship I remember. The school/teacher was always right.
    BTW What are you doing up so late you old fart Harry? :)
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  17. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Shhh...no pointing out the truth to the slavering crowd.
  18. makoute

makoute Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

So what if the teacher did cause damage to the kids ear? Or does that not matter.
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

A voucher system would simply take a portion of the money that parents pay in taxes and allow them to use it for their childrens private education.
  20. Real World

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

A .357 magnum and a hole in an empty field.