PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dan Rooney calls "spygate" non-issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Dan Rooney calls "spygate" Non issue

Serious credit to the Steelers organization, for actually maintaining a reasonable and objective outlook where so many others don't seem to be able to.

Rooney Family is a Class Act as usual.... This is exactly what is required for this BS to end.... Other teams need to step up. I think anyone with half a brain realizes that todays witch hunt is on the Patriots. Tomorrow it may be their team.

This is a league matter. Period..... These other clowns have no business sticking their nose in it.

Congress???? Shouldn't they be focused on more important matters than sports.

The Media????? What can I say I don't trust them to report on a pie eating contest at a country fair....

The Lawyers???? Don't they make a living out of perverting the truth. I wish they would stick to chasing ambulances.

Let the league deal with it..... They and the owners have a vested interest in making sure it is dealt with properly. If they don't, they will have the wrath of the fans to deal with.

Last edited:
I guess I'm alone in thinking this doesn't mean much and wouldn't give the credit (you guys do) to Rooney. The owners are probably under pressure from Goodell to not make the situation worse. Also, the Pats had two Special Team TDs in the 2002 game. And Kordell's brutal interceptions were clearly on Kordell (not any scouting of Steeler's defensive signals).

So let me understand this: Rooney supports Goodell and his severe punishment for a...non-issue. A 1st rounder and a possible suspension of a head coach for a non-issue??

The serverity of the punishment will makes it almost impossible for Goodell to backtrack. His recent kinder and gentler comments don't jibe with his September comments and have had no impact stopping the barrage of comments and articles.

His slightly backtracking has done nothing to quell the issue and he can't completely backtrack (I made a mistake with the penalty).

Ok, then we should just go on thinking that the Steelers are one year wonders
and really **** and cheated their way to the SB win due to paying off
the officials because there is no way that game was officiated fairly?
Inquiring minds want to know...

No, you shouldn't be thinking that way.

The Seahawks didn't get it done. Bottom line. That dude who was it, Jackson, who talked all that smack back and forth with Joey Porter, dropped at least 4 passes in that game. Yes there was a push off called in the endzone early in the game, that could have not been called. But in the replay, you clearly see the ref reaching for his flag before the ball was ever caught. The other call was a holding call, which was called on a play that ended up at the 1 yard line and was called back. The next play, Hassleback threw a bad pass and we picked it off. Does that in itself dictate the entire game? One holding call?

Seattle almost went down 21-3 but Ben short-armed a pass to the corner of the endzone that was picked off and ran back for a record amount of yards and only Randell El's hussle stopped the TD. Otherwise, it wasn't even that close of a game. The Seahawks couldn't run the ball, which in turn, made their Play action pass almost useless. And dropping 4 passes didn't help their cause. Was there a call on the 75 yard TD run by Parker? No, there wasn't. Did the ball cross the line when ben tried to run the QB sneak, it was close, very close, but in the Video Cowher is clearly heard on the side lines saying, "we are going for it if they say he didn't get in" Would the Seahawks have stopped the Steelers on 4th and inches? Don't know, wouldd the Seahawks have scored on the Steelers from the 1 yard line had the holding not been called. Don't know.

The Steelers didn't have to pay anyone to win that game. They should have won by a bigger margin, but our young QB played the 2nd worst game of his life up to that point. Otherwise, we would have won that game handedly. What happened when the Seahawks played the Steelers this season? They got shut out. Their offense is the kind of offense our 3-4 style blitzing defense destroys. Holgrems carreer record against **** L is not very good.

I guess I'm alone in thinking this doesn't mean much and wouldn't give the credit (you guys do) to Rooney. The owners are probably under pressure from Goodell to not make the situation worse. Also, the Pats had two Special Team TDs in the 2002 game. And Kordell's brutal interceptions were clearly on Kordell (not any scouting of Steeler's defensive signals).

So let me understand this: Rooney supports Goodell and his severe punishment for a...non-issue. A 1st rounder and a possible suspension of a head coach for a non-issue??

The serverity of the punishment will makes it almost impossible for Goodell to backtrack. His recent kinder and gentler comments don't jibe with his September comments and have had no impact stopping the barrage of comments and articles.

His slightly backtracking has done nothing to quell the issue and he can't completely backtrack (I made a mistake with the penalty).

I think Rooney's statement is basically to Stop any attempt at "excuse" making for our losses to the Pats in AFC title games. The excuse is we didn't execute our game on the field. That's it. I think being "singled out" by Spectar was something Rooney wasn't going to have happen to his Franchise. There is no crying over spilt milk, or games lost 2-5 years ago. That's what this was all about. Shutting people up about the past losses or allowing for excuses to be made for our team's poor execution in important games.

And yes, he is backing up the NFL first. The non-issue is the taping of Steelers games. Not the Taping of the Jets game for which the Punishment was handed out.

Let's remember, this never was a big deal and remains so. If nothing comes of Walsh, it remains what it was when Goodell levied the fines.

Let us not forget what this is all about. It is about filming defensive signals from the field. Stealing and even filming signals is ok by NFL rules, you just can't do it from the field. That is the only rule the Pats broke.

Had they filmed the signals from the end zone, it would have been ok.

So once Walsh is proven an idiot, this entire issue goes back to what it was in the first place...something everyone else does.

The media can try to make it something else but that is impossible...it is what it is, nothing more & nothing less.

If more and more front offices around the league came out & downplayed the significance of 'spygate', it would leave the media and guys like Specter looking like complete tools.

Unfortunately, the only people downplaying it are former players & coaches, and they're basically being ignored by the likes of Espn.

Can you imagine if Congress starts looking into the shenanigans that going on behind the scenes in Nascar?

It's competition, that's the way it is.

That's how I see it as well. His statement is very manipulative. Basically he starts off with a short phrase saying it was a non-factor, then goes on at length about how appropriate the punishment was.

There is a word to describe statements like these, and class ain't it.

That's how I see it as well. His statement is very manipulative. Basically he starts off with a short phrase saying it was a non-factor, then goes on at length about how appropriate the punishment was.

There is a word to describe statements like these, and class ain't it.

No, he's saying the Taping of the Steelers games, as mentioned by Specter, is a Non Isssue, and that the NFL's punishment for the taping during the Jets Game of 07 was appropriate and the issue is over.

No, he's saying the Taping of the Steelers games, as mentioned by Specter, is a Non Isssue, and that the NFL's punishment for the taping during the Jets Game of 07 was appropriate and the issue is over.

Really? The taping of four Steelers' games is a non-issue, but the 1st quarter taping in the first game of the season warrants a penalty of a 1st round draft pick and a considered suspension of a coach? Is that what your owner is saying?

Really? The taping of four Steelers' games is a non-issue, but the 1st quarter taping in the first game of the season warrants a penalty of a 1st round draft pick and a considered suspension of a coach? Is that what your owner is saying?

I can see that you don't like the Steelers with your inability to understand what was said.

Yes, the 1st quarter taping in the 1st game of the season does warrent a penalty, as the Coach of the team was specifically told, not do that, and violated an NFL rule. Rooney stands behind the NFL for the punishment handed out for the violation of an NFL rule that even though the coach may have misunderstood the rule, was still against the Rules. And at the same time, Rooney says the taping of any steelers games, by the Patriots in the past is a non-issue and had no Bearing on the outcome of the game.

Get it yet? Do you get it yet or are you going to once again try to say something negative about an Owner of a team that Lost 2 huge games to your team, yet has the fortitude to back up Your Coach, and Your Owner.

I can see that you don't like the Steelers with your inability to understand what was said.

Yes, the 1st quarter taping in the 1st game of the season does warrent a penalty, as the Coach of the team was specifically told, not do that, and violated an NFL rule. Rooney stands behind the NFL for the punishment handed out for the violation of an NFL rule that even though the coach may have misunderstood the rule, was still against the Rules. And at the same time, Rooney says the taping of any steelers games, by the Patriots in the past is a non-issue and had no Bearing on the outcome of the game.

Get it yet? Do you get it yet or are you going to once again try to say something negative about an Owner of a team that Lost 2 huge games to your team, yet has the fortitude to back up Your Coach, and Your Owner.

Settle down. Take off your Steeler blindfolds.

Apparently you can't see anything. I'm actually not saying anything negative or postive about Rooney. I have no opinion of him. I don't dislike the Steelers. I never said anything negative about the owner. Are you reading my post or someone else's?

This started with me referring to the praise from posters here. I wouldn't praise or trash Rooney for this statement. I see the NFL is trying to minimize something that they maximized and Rooney is playing his part.

And I'm referring to "the punishment" not "a punishment." The specific punishment. As I mentioned before, a 1st Round draft pick and considered suspension of a coach is quite a punishment for a breaking of a rule or breaking of a memo and which is now being referred to as a non-issue in games played.

Get it yet?

It is amazing how much is being said with so little information. All speculation and speculation built from speculation ... amazing.

Apparently you can't see anything. I'm actually not saying anything negative or postive about Rooney. I have no opinion of him. I don't dislike the Steelers. I never said anything negative about the owner. Are you reading my post or someone else's?

This started with me referring to the praise from posters here. I wouldn't praise or trash Rooney for this statement. I see the NFL is trying to minimize something that they maximized and Rooney is playing his part.

And I'm referring to "the punishment" not "a punishment." The specific punishment. As I mentioned before, a 1st Round draft pick and considered suspension of a coach is quite a punishment for a breaking of a rule or breaking of a memo and which is now being referred to as a non-issue in games played.

Get it yet?

I get it.

I want the entire issue to be a non-issue myself. I hate to hear in anyway that the Pats used any illegal means to beat my team on the field in those AFC title games. What I saw at the time, and what I still believe, is we were out played and out coached. That's what I saw, and that's what I believe happened. Last thing I want to have happen is people especially my fans, or my owner/players to use any type of excuse for their under performance.

I have been booed over and over again on the Steelers board for posting this exact same perspective on the Pats taping issue.

As for the Punishment for the incident in the Jets game. There was a fine and a forefiet of a 1st round pick. Fair or not, it could have been lighter, but it could have been much worse.

Get it yet?

The initial punishment encompassed all taping that had occurred, including Steelers games. Get it yet?

Why not? Justice delayed is Justice denied*

*God I love playing Internet lawyer!

Last edited:
The initial punishment encompassed all taping that had occurred, including Steelers games. Get it yet?

That's not my understanding, its my understanding that the punishment was for just the Jets game. That's it. It was my impression that it was the NFLs position that they were able to impose the penalties because of a memo they sent out in 06.

I figured it was like a speeding ticket. You speed all the time, well I do, sometimes, but when I get "popped" its for the one time. I get a ticket for the one incident, not for all the speeding I did in my past. If the punishment was for all previous violations, then I am wrong in my understanding of what the punishment was for as handed out by the NFL and stand corrected.

Last edited:
That's not my understanding, its my understanding that the punishment was for just the Jets game. That's it. It was my impression that it was the NFLs position that they were able to impose the penalties because of a memo they sent out in 06.

I figured it was like a speeding ticket. You speed all the time, well I do, sometimes, but when I get "popped" its for the one time. I get a ticket for the one incident, not for all the speeding I did in my past. If the punishment was for all previous violations, then I am wrong in my understanding of what the punishment was for as handed out by the NFL and stand corrected.

The punishment was for all taping that had been disclosed to Goodell, with more punishment possible if it was revealed that more had occurred that Belichick did not disclose. At the time of the punishment, Belichick had stated that his misinterpretation of the rule had been in place since he became a head coach.

I stand corrected then and freely admit I was wrong in my understanding of the rule.

that's me being a smart allick. I get it, I'm wrong, I thought it was just because of violating rules in the Jets game and doing something he was warned not to do.

The issue needs to go away, for the good of the NFL and for its fans. Pats fans and Non-Pats fans. I don't see it as a big deal, change your freaking signals and perform on the field better. That's what I say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes