PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dan Rooney calls "spygate" non-issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino 6 Rings

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Steelers Chairman Dan Rooney said today that the team supports the NFL's response to the "Spygate" case against the New England Patriots and the punishment meted out by Commissioner Roger Goodell.

In a statement released this morning, Rooney said:

"We consider the tapes of our coaching staff during our games against the New England Patriots to be a non-issue. In our opinion, they had no impact on the results of those games.

"The Steelers fully support the manner in which Commissioner Goodell handled the situation and the discipline that he levied against those who violated league rules," the statement said.

"We are confident that the Commissioner has taken appropriate action in his investigation of this matter, and will do so again if new information arises which requires further investigation and or discipline."

Rooney's statement came in response to criticism by U.S. Sen. Arlen Specter of the NFL's handling of reports that the Patriots routinely videtaped opposing coach's signals in violation of NFL rules. Specter told the Post-Gazette yesterday that Goodell confirmed to him that four Steelers games were involved, including two AFC championship games.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08046/857786-66.stm

Re: Dan Rooney calls "spygate" Non issue

I understand some Steelers fans may still pick and hit and call the Pats Cheaters and what not, but I would like to recognize the ownership of the Steelers for...

Man-ing The EF Up !

Fans will rant, but my Team is going to Man Up and stand behind the NFLs decision in regards to the taping.

I understand some Steelers fans may still pick and hit and call the Pats Cheaters and what not, but I would like to recognize the ownership of the Steelers for...

Man-ing The EF Up !

Fans will rant, but my Team is going to Man Up and stand behind the NFLs decision in regards to the taping.
I second you're motion. The Rooneys have always been a class act,and I'm sure they see Sphincter's actions as grandstanding by a Disgrunteld Eagles fan. They also see it as a league matter and want to keep the congress OUT of league matters.

I still won't cheer for Big Ben & the Boys next year, but I'm glad the Steelers are setting the tone.

Props to the Rooney's for their statement. They certainly didn't have to say anything but the fact that they did is refreshing. It's good to see that not everyone is a bunch of whiners (unlike many other teams/players).

Man-ing The EF Up !

Good for you and good for the Steelers. If, as many of us believe, this is not as big an issue for "football people" as it is for the media (and also if the issue is widespread) I've found the silence from the other 31 teams disturbing. The fact that the Rooneys would man up and do the right thing in acknowledging the lack of competitive advantage (I don't expect them to defend the practice outright) shows a lot of character.

i would like to see more chairmans support Goodel so that we can put this spygate behind us.

is Jets chairman next.?

Last edited:

The Rooneys have been there since the beginning. They've seen it all. They know the ropes. Thanks for the class guys.

Finally a "spygate" thread worth keeping up on it's own. Lets hope that other franchises come out like this and squash Specters little ego trip.

It would be great if Laurie would do that. I understand that he and Kraft are fairly close.

the haters already paint this as

"the NFL is circling the wagons and the coverup is growing-- they want the dogs called off for the economic good of the NFL even if it means letting the Patriots off easy"

Just so you know-- the haters spin any news in the most evil way, and that is why Kraft and Belichick need to keep being quiet.

If they say "the sky is blue" then they say

"a-hah!!!! Blue sky!!! cheaters see blue skys!"

If they say "the sky isn't blue" then they say

"a-hah!!!! Not a Blue sky!!! cheaters see non-blue skys!"

I guess the moral is to stay away from non-Patriots fans or you go crazy.

Too bad this kind of stuff will never lead off an edition of Sportscenter

Steelers Chairman Dan Rooney said today that the team supports the NFL's response to the "Spygate" case against the New England Patriots and the punishment meted out by Commissioner Roger Goodell.

In a statement released this morning, Rooney said:

"We consider the tapes of our coaching staff during our games against the New England Patriots to be a non-issue. In our opinion, they had no impact on the results of those games.

"The Steelers fully support the manner in which Commissioner Goodell handled the situation and the discipline that he levied against those who violated league rules," the statement said.

"We are confident that the Commissioner has taken appropriate action in his investigation of this matter, and will do so again if new information arises which requires further investigation and or discipline."

Rooney's statement came in response to criticism by U.S. Sen. Arlen Specter of the NFL's handling of reports that the Patriots routinely videtaped opposing coach's signals in violation of NFL rules. Specter told the Post-Gazette yesterday that Goodell confirmed to him that four Steelers games were involved, including two AFC championship games.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08046/857786-66.stm

Steelers just jumped to second on my list of teams to root for. Thank you
Mr. Rooney for your support.

This goes to show how the Steelers are one more of the more respected organizations in the league. Wish more coaches and teams would be more vocal with their support for the NFL handling of this matter.

(Notice the lack of outrage from teams that were supposed victims of spygate, maybe because they, unlike the cryptkeeper senator, thinks this has been handled and is a non-issue)

Before everyone bows down and kisses the ring of the Rooneys, it might be important to note that the Steelers are their chief source of income. I have no idea how significant any of this "spying" actually is, but neither does anyone else, given Goodell's Yuri Andropov impression with the tapes.

It's not in the Rooney's best interest to see the NFL get a black mark over Spygate, so it's unsurprising that they would jump in and add their generally good name to those defending Goodell's actions. Maybe there is nothing to the whole thing. But the Rooney's, who would be hurt as much as any ownership by the NFL taking a hit, standing up to protect the integrity of the league proves nothing as far as the Patriots guilt is concerned.

Before everyone bows down and kisses the ring of the Rooneys, it might be important to note that the Steelers are their chief source of income. I have no idea how significant any of this "spying" actually is, but neither does anyone else, given Goodell's Yuri Andropov impression with the tapes.

It's not in the Rooney's best interest to see the NFL get a black mark over Spygate, so it's unsurprising that they would jump in and add their generally good name to those defending Goodell's actions. Maybe there is nothing to the whole thing. But the Rooney's, who would be hurt as much as any ownership by the NFL taking a hit, standing up to protect the integrity of the league proves nothing as far as the Patriots guilt is concerned.

Ok, then we should just go on thinking that the Steelers are one year wonders
and really **** and cheated their way to the SB win due to paying off
the officials because there is no way that game was officiated fairly?
Inquiring minds want to know...

Rooney and the Steeler's organization are class acts.

Steelers are now my second favorite team in the AFC.

If more owners would come out and say this, the NFL could be saved from this BS

Gotta love these Steelers "fans". The Rooneys are the NFL gold-standard for owners until they stand up to the witch hunters. Then they are just "owned"...pathetic.

Last edited:
Rooney is a registered Democrat....What did you think his sissy response was going to be??

The Steelers organization has always been a class outfit. This is just further proof of that fact.

Hats off to the Rooneys from where I sit, too.

The model is the following: the league is a group of business partners, whose product is the league, and whose "competition", such as it is, is other sports, not other teams in football.

Now, were the NFL's anti-trust exemption revoked, this would not pertain. Pittsburgh may keep its team, but Buffalo sure wouldn't. All the smaller market and less profitable teams go "poof."

Regardless of what we think of that future, we are living in the present.

I firmly believe that through this whole affair, Kraft has chosen to be a "loyal" representative of his franchise, within the league. Rooney has basically just done the same thing. I would expect other teams to follow, if as and when the story touches on their local teams' affairs.

And the haters can view it as whatever they want. I don't give a damn, myself.

The NE Patriots have been crucified, and will continue to be crucified, for the sins of the entire league. They were caught, they were punished -- all that is fine. But having a witchunt in the US senate? Not fine.

Goodell's role here is to prevent the Senate from legislating football, and changing the outcomes of the games politically and ex-post-facto, for the benefit of losing teams and the cable industry.

What Rooney did is spoke in support of the League making NFL decisions, not the Senator from the great state of Pennsylvania (and doing it at the expense of its own seekers of retroactive victory.)

As a Steelers fan, who is really served by getting a retroactive "tie" in a game five years ago, based on an infraction that really did not affect the game's outcome?

But also, from the perspective of a Steelers fan, it would feel good to be above it, call a spade a spade, and say: Hey! We won the Super Bowl in 2005! Yanno what? Better that the League have the firepower to make that trophy mean something, than for the League to fall apart because we're all set against each other.

Big ups, Pixburgh!

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes