Welcome to PatsFans.com

Dan Koppen makes great points on the NFL's offseason

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by upstater1, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 4 / -3

rules changes to limit the wear and tear on player's bodies.

This is Koppen's take from the ESPNPatriots' Blog:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  2. andrewgarrr

andrewgarrr Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think diminishing the offseason program will hurt the teams in the long run, and in the end, make for worse teams and less interesting football.
  3. lamafist

lamafist Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You know, when I read the NFL's statement about the owners' (purported) final offer, I wondered about how much reducing OTA and other offseason activities would actually benefit player health, and how much of it was just a 'bone' the owners could toss the players at no cost to themselves.

I also wonder to what extent the owners should be so blatant about using health-preserving measures as bargaining chips with the union. Occupational safety laws do not allow employees (or their union representatives) to bargain away their right to workplace safety. If the NFL stipulates that these concessions are beneficial to the health and safety of the players, they would be require by law to make them, and any CBA the players' signed that waived them would be invalid.
  4. betterthanthealternative

betterthanthealternative Rookie

Ratings:
    +70 / 3 / -0

Having OSHA and state level safety regulators look the other way is one of the "wink wink" nods that the league gets as part of the anti trust exemption. If players were to get the full legitimate protection of workplace safety laws, they'd be playing flag football.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.