PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dan Graham...injured?

Status
Not open for further replies.
5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Dryheat is determined to ride this thing out, I see! Nothing like sticking to your guns. :D

We'll know in a day or so if you are a genius. ;)

I'm not a genius. A genius is someone like Norman Einstein.

dryheat44 said:
In that case, you'll always be a genius to me. :p

dryheat44 said:

Or the other guy in the wheelchair, Artrell Hawking......

I don't forsee a contract with Graham this season unless Watson fails to emerge as most pundits and his QB are predicting or Thomas really struggles. TE has become the IT position in the NFL of late and it would be nice not to have to keep drafting for that slot (though he likely would anyway...). I could see them transitioning him and seeing what his market is unless they need that tag for Koppen.

Among the media there has been speculation from time to time that Graham doesn't suck it up quite as much as an old school coach like BB would like his players to. Some guys play well hurt, some are at least willing to try and others can't play with a hangnail. Entering his contract year Graham may feel that he is not willing to jeopardize his season by practicing before he is 100%. And as Brady often says once camp starts nobody is for the rest of the season. I sense a certain level of resignation with Graham where his future here is concerned, I think believes he is gone one way or another after this year, but I think he understands better than Deion (or his agent does) that a holdout won't help his cause in the short or long term.

I really see them waiting until mid season to make the decision whether or not to try to get any or of all of Graham, Koppen and maybe Samuel extended. If they are struggling at all they could be easier to re-sign to incentive laden deals provided the team feels their long term outlook still has sufficient upside. If they are having any kind of career year they probably won't want to talk contract with the expectation that they could make a bigger score in FA. With Koppen they basically just need to be sure he rebounds from this injury. Graham needs to show how he stacks up against Watson and possibly Thomas, and prove he has some consistent durability. But he may be gone already from the standpoint of the player who just feels underappreciated. Asante needs to show with consistency what kind of player he is and whether he is a developing #1 CB, #2 CB, or a nickle and quality backup starter. The contract/salary swings on all these possibilities are in the millions per.

Last edited:
I've never heard about the media thinking Grambo is a little soft. I have heard, and believe, that he doesn't concentrate enough when running routes, which explains some of his dropsies. But I've not seen it written that he is not sucking it up. Do you believe that, and do you remember any reliable sources that feel that way?

I think he is gone next year anyway, because he is a great blocker, when healthy, but his stats are low, and Watson and Thomas can likely replace his stats and most of his blocking without breaking the bank.

Grambo will make a fortune next year on the open market, and will be a Redskin or Titan or whatever.

I've never heard about the media thinking Grambo is a little soft. I have heard, and believe, that he doesn't concentrate enough when running routes, which explains some of his dropsies. But I've not seen it written that he is not sucking it up. Do you believe that, and do you remember any reliable sources that feel that way?

I think he is gone next year anyway, because he is a great blocker, when healthy, but his stats are low, and Watson and Thomas can likely replace his stats and most of his blocking without breaking the bank.

Grambo will make a fortune next year on the open market, and will be a Redskin or Titan or whatever.
Watson and Thomas have a long way to go to match Graham as a blocker. This is a three TE offense, we may lose Graham in free agency, but I'd be trying to wrap him up this year.

I would be happy to see Grambo stay, but I don't believe it'll happen.

As far as the difference in blocking, Bioli is not going to break the bank to make up the difference.

Unless Dryheat is right, and the ink is still drying on Grambo's big extension, this is his last year with the team, IMO.

Felger has hinted on a couple of occasions that there was some frustration with his absences stretching out from day to day to one week to two or three. He hasn't necessarily characterized it a softness so much as perhaps a reluctance on the players part to push himself or return ASAP that could be in part rooted in his belief that he is underappreciated and not a priority to re-sign (if they are intending to at all).

I was thinking Felger in the back of my head even before I saw your response. But what do you think?

I've never heard anyone question Granham's toughness. I do think Granham has focus issues and reading defenses is not a big part of his game.

And though he may be the best blocking TE in the game, I think he relies more on strngth than stellar technique. I'm sure that drive BB nuts.

I do think that in a different offense (the Raiders for instance), he could be very special.

I think soft guys can't or won't play regardless of contract situation. I think in Graham's case it was more a situation where a player who has not been contacted AT ALL according to him regarding extending may be reluctant to assume risk. The TE market being what it is, his agent and he may feel he has shown more than enough over 4 seasons to garner sufficient FA interest in 2007 and rather than play like your hair is on fire in a contract season they may be taking the conservative approach. In the old days it took that contract season performance to garner attention and potential big payday deals. Today because of parity and revenue sharing that is far less the case.

Sometimes today the rumors about trades come from agents looking to simply raise their players ongoing profile. I'm sure Graham's agent wasn't displeased when the Denver rumor was out there. And he probably wanted to shoot his own client when he stated that there had not been any contact from NE about an extension. But he was likely not displeased either when BB in a somewhat out of character statement said unequivocally that Graham was not going to be traded. That kind of statement from BB raised Graham's stock on the watch lists across the league.

MoLewisrocks said:
......when BB in a somewhat out of character statement said unequivocally that Graham was not going to be traded. That kind of statement from BB raised Graham's stock on the watch lists across the league.

Yes, you are probably right about BB's statement adding value to Graham's future FA stock. But at the time (short-sighted as I am) all I felt was that BB was saying Graham is worth more than Lelie.

I think that BB said that he's 'day to day".

About his shoulder, I think BB said "it is what it is".

I don't know if BB will expand on that or not.:cool:

dryheat44 said:
I did notice that....but apparently he just stood on the field in his jersey and shorts, so I don't think it necessarily negates my wacko theorizing.

Or, maybe with the excess cap room, an extension was agreed to today.

Well, I wasn't trying to put an interpretation on it, but now you put it that way it does seem to go against the hold-out. I mean, you're holding out, I don't suppose you say: "I'll turn up on the practice field and put on jersey and shorts but I won't play ..." Of course, your second hypothesis is more consistent with the evidence, but an announcement (or at least a leak) should come soon.

Ochmed Jones said:
I do think that in a different offense (the Raiders for instance), he could be very special.
Not that there's anything wrong with that. :eek:

Box_O_Rocks said:
Not that there's anything wrong with that. :eek:

And, per Reiss, Graham was in full pads today (Rodney too!), although in a red non-contact jersey.

Very strange.

dryheat44 said:
And, per Reiss, Graham was in full pads today (Rodney too!), although in a red non-contact jersey.

Very strange.

I'm beginning to get a little concerned about Graham.

I almost hope its a different injury because given how much time he's been off, and if his shoulder is still tender from surgery and he needs to be treated with kid gloves, his ability to contribute his main skill of blocking remains in doubt.

Trade Graham before the league knows he's damaged goods!
Also, re-sign Deion.

JoeSixPat said:

I almost hope its a different injury because given how much time he's been off, and if his shoulder is still tender from surgery and he needs to be treated with kid gloves, his ability to contribute his main skill of blocking remains in doubt.

A red jersey weeks before game one is not a big concern.

JoeSixPat said:

What I find strange about it is that he could have been out there in a non-contact jersey from Day One. Everybody else in his situation was placed on PUP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back