PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dan Fouts: Tom Brady gets special treatment from refs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady has received two roughing the passer calls this season. In comparison Schaub received 4.

He's tied for 14th with 11 other teams/QB's as beneficiary's of Roughing the passer.

Its one thing when moronic fans spew this stuff. But a guy who has ready access to any stat he wants should take the minute to look it up.

Tannenhill received 7, Newton 6, Oak/Philly as a team both received 6, Fitzpatrick/Luck and Rodgers all received 5.

This is an argument that we're not going to win. Fouts would just respond that Brady has a better O-line and gets better protection.

I just tweeted a link to josh24's post to the account of the new show CBS is attempting to launch he spewed this garbage on. Not that it will do any good. It's just a real pet peeve of mine when national football mediots/commentators spew ignorant, uninformed crap as if it's fact. And that they do so on shows that surround them with talent too equally uninformed to refute them.

That this prolific empty yardage stiff with a career .500 winning pct. and almost as many INT's as TD's was a first ballot HOF inductee is an indictment of the media driven process. It's no wonder so many deserving players never had a shot...
Actually Josh's post is so well done, it should be made a sticky, so whenever haters play the "Brady is protected" card, we fans can immediately send the DEFINITIVE proof and quickly refute the claim.

As fans we can't do much other than root for our team, but in this very small case, we CAN act as sort of the "truth police" so idiotic remarks like Fout's don't go unanswered.

They will say anything to try to diminish Brady. They are never critical of Manning.

I'll go one further, and say what is rarely said on this board because of the credit we want to give to Scarnecchia and the O-line.

It's not them, it's Brady. He's the one with the pocket awareness and the quick release. You could stick guys like that in front of 99% of the league's QBs, and they'd be giving up sacks. Aaron Rodgers really is a great QB, but stick Brady behind his OL and suddenly they would be regarded as one of the best in the league.

It's Brady--he's the one that buys that time in the pocket and miraculously lets the ball go again and again at the last second. And even on this website, people criticize his pocket presence.

Great post josh24!

Do you have links to some of your numbers?

QB hits: NFL Stats: by Team Category
OL stats since 2009

RTP penalties: NFL Penalties - 2012 League Penalty Stats - NFL Penalty Stats Tracker - List/Statistics/Data of NFL Penalties - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
NFL penalties breakdown since 2009. By team, season, player, type of penalty, etc.

Patriots offensive stats: Pro-Football-Reference.com - Pro Football Statistics and History

OL rankings:
2012 - https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/24/offensive-line-rankings/
2011 - Part 1 & part 2
2010 - Part 1 & part 2

That's all of them.

Brady has received two roughing the passer calls this season. .

I was gonna say I can't even REMEMBER the last time there's been a roughing the passer call on an opponent.

The 2 calls on Brady this year:
@ Jacksonville (Mincey helmet to helmet)
@ Seattle (Irvin? helmet to helmet)

Josh,

It's posts such as yours with well researched facts and perspectives that make Patsfans an excellent site. Megakudos for your work.

It would be nice but probably impractical in the post SuperBowl doldrums of March for Ian to nominate certain posts for Emeritus Awards. Yours would certainly be one.

(No, I am not related to Josh)

Last edited:
Earlier in the year and one of the two announcers calling the game was constantly maligning the pats. I didn't know who it was, i didn't recognize him, but it turned out to be Dan Spouts. He trashed the pats all game long to the point that it was obvious there was a definet dislike on his part for the patriots. So anything he says is biased against the team, another hater fck um.

Just remembered a 3rd RTP on Brady this season:

@ Buffalo (K. Williams, hit to the knee)

From Answers:

Did Dan Fouts ever win a super bowl game?

Best Answer
No, Dan Fouts never played in a Super Bowl.:D

Dan is just green with Envy...Brady already payed in Five SB's, won three and possibly playing in his Sixth after next Sunday. I am so glad he doesn't call any of our games Mr. bottom of the barrel.:rolleyes:

Josh,

It's posts such as yours with well researched facts and perspectives that make Patsfans an excellent site. Megakudos for your work.

It would be nice but probably impractical in the post SuperBowl doldrums of March for Ian to nominate certain posts for Emeritus Awards. Yours would certainly be one.

(No, I am not related to Josh)

Thanks.
I usually make some football research every time the media or fans make blind statements to support some bitter, irrationale hate, which, as a NE fan, is very common.

If any mod could add this to my previous post under "References", I'll be grateful.

If any mod could add this to my previous post under "References", I'll be grateful.

You got it, Josh - - good stuff, thanks!

Pretty ironic when you think of it. Had the NFL instituted the head shots rules decades ago then old brain damaged QB's like Fouts wouldn't be making idiotic comments like this.

Dan Fouts and the 1979 Chargers have the best record in football and a first round bye. Their first playoff opponent is the Houston Oilers who are without their best player Earl Campbell and their starting quarterback Dan Pastorini. Dan Fouts throws 5 interceptions and the Chargers lose. That about sums up Dan Fouts the quarterback.

Complete game:

NFL - 1979 AFC Divisional playoffs Houston Oilers @ San Diego Chargers First Quarter - YouTube.
NFL - 1979 AFC Divisional playoffs Houston Oilers @ San Diego Chargers Second Quarter - YouTube
NFL - 1979 AFC Divisional playoffs Houston Oilers @ San Diego Chargers Third Quarter - YouTube
NFL - 1979 AFC Divisonal playoffs Houston Oilers @ San Diego Chargers Fourth Quarter - YouTube

i hate to say it cause it's kinda boring....

...but who cares....I mean really, who cares?

i hate to say it cause it's kinda boring....

...but who cares....I mean really, who cares?

Any genuine football fan should care when national mediots are spewing fallacies as if fact and perpetuating perception as reality when nothing could be farther from the truth. And Patsfans should care because of all Brady and this organization that won't defend itself on principle because they have more important stuff to do has brought to our fan experience over the last 12 seasons.

Here are some stats for Dan Fouts. I took the time to investigate just a little bit about the topic to realize that TB doesn't get as over-protected as many people think.

<snip>

TB has guided the most prolific offense in any 3-year span ever, while not getting as much protection from the referees as everyone wants to think. Once again, BB, TB and NE haters fail to make a valid point in what they think is a good argument to pick on the Pats.
Fouts' isn't just wrong, he is completely lost. While he claims that TB "needs to be protected to succeed", it is completely the opposite:

In a 3-year span, Tom Brady led the best offense in the history of NFL, while being the 4th least referee-protected QB in the league, and behind a good-but-not-great pass blocking O line.

Next time, try to hate with actual facts that can back up your statements.

<snip again>

Dude, that was an impressive act of research. Kudos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes