PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dan Connolly re-signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about that. Connolly played pretty well at center. He could play under center for another two to three years.

Plus, he can run the ball!

Great move....I've been a BIG Connolly fan since he got promoted from PS late in 2009 season.

Great player,hard worker and a blue collar type.

It's an honor to have him back.

Very happy to hear he's back. It's a smart signing after the job he did last season.

Played great last year and he looks to be the starter. I would still like to have Koppen back next year.

Played great last year and he looks to be the starter. I would still like to have Koppen back next year.

Same here.

However, roster slots are always scarce, so the Pats may well go w/ Mankins/Connolly/Waters & 2 young guys at interior OL, rather than set themselves up to have Koppen and Waters both age off the roster.

And yeah -- if the game has evolved a bit to where interior pass rush is a relatively bigger concern, while pulling on runs is a bit less of one, then Koppen's career-long mix of athletic traits is less appealing than it used to be.

Im glad we were able to lock him up. He's been solid for us at OC and OG!

Also, Waters isn't signed yet.

(I do hope he doesn't sign and then become a flashback to the annual OL camp retirement ...)

Also, Waters isn't signed yet.

(I do hope he doesn't sign and then become a flashback to the annual OL camp retirement ...)

Waters signed a two year contract last year

Wendell? We were playing with McDonald at center and it didn't look like we'd skipped a beat pass protecting. I think we could have been more consistent blocking for the run game a bit better all year but, then again, we're never renowned for our run blocking lines.

Think we will draft a Center in the draft though. Somewhere late.

If Phil Blake is still available in the 4th round, then I would give him very serious condsideration there.
He would be a huge upgrade over Wendell, and would make for a nice backup interior line with McDonald & Donald Thomas.

Last edited:
If Phil Blake is still available in the 4th round, then I would give him very serious condsideration there.
He would be a huge upgrade over Wendell, and would make for a nice backup interior line with McDonald & Donald Thomas.

You're going to be awfully disappointed, because there's like a 90% chance Wendell is on the Pats next season, very possibly as the main backup at the 3 interior positions.

So, DI: still going to continue to endlessly assert that Connolly is no good?

Belichick may be fine with Wendell as a backup instead of Koppen. This is especially true of Waters is expected to play this year (and likely retire after the season).

If Waters is retiring, then we need to re-sign Koppen.

Same here.

However, roster slots are always scarce, so the Pats may well go w/ Mankins/Connolly/Waters & 2 young guys at interior OL, rather than set themselves up to have Koppen and Waters both age off the roster.

And yeah -- if the game has evolved a bit to where interior pass rush is a relatively bigger concern, while pulling on runs is a bit less of one, then Koppen's career-long mix of athletic traits is less appealing than it used to be.

im happy they re-signed him and would still love to see them Draft Peter Konz if he falls to #27

I like this move. I thought that Connolly outplayed Koppen last year. He is a solid starter (not an All-Pro, but more than servicable). This is a good move by the Pats the last thingh you want is to break in a new Center.

I like this move. I thought that Connolly outplayed Koppen last year. He is a solid starter (not an All-Pro, but more than servicable). This is a good move by the Pats the last thingh you want is to break in a new Center.

Ofcourse he did koppan broke his leg and did not play.

So, DI: still going to continue to endlessly assert that Connolly is no good?

1.) Why would you call me out in a thread where I've not posted?

2.) My discussions about Connolly being "no good" (your words, not mine) focused on his guard play. I thought that he did much better as a center than as a guard even though I thought people were overrating just how well he did play at center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes