PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Damn Adam Schefter

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
1. When I first heard about Vic Carucci's report about a pending trade between Carolina and the Pats, it just didn't make sense for all the reason's that have been well discussed here already. The price AND concequences of signing a big LT contract. The fact that he has never played OLB or any stand up position before. The fact that he has a suspect rep concerning his every play motor (though that kind of rep hasn't hinders several guys who have strapped on the flying elvis from have very good years as Patriots).

As I have been saying right from the begining of FA, if we feel the need to go out and upgrade our existing OLB group, Jason Taylor is a much better fit. He wouldn't be a hugh LT expense. He has an unquestioned every play motor, even on some horrible teams. He has played OLB. He is very familiar with the team, its coaches, and players. He is just the right player in so many ways, it would be a crime if he doesn't end up here this season.

2. After watch ANOTHER very active FA period for the Pats, its become increasingly clear that the 12 odd draft picks the Pats have this April is massive overkill, almost a redundant as the Picks they too prior to the 2007 season. Looking at some of the roster possibilities that have already been listed, it would be hard to thing that any more than 5 or 6 rookies making this team, so at this point I can't see the Pats keeping all three 2nd round picks. I can easily see us trading several of our picks to move up or into the 2010 draft, so we don't end up drafting guys that end up signing with other teams come 9/1.

3. With the signing of BOTH Springs and Boddin, along with having 2 young CBs coming off the IR, the Pats have 5 of the 6 CBs that will probably make the roster right now, and who knows about guys like Richardson; so I don't see us picking a CB in the first 6 picks.

If we sign Taylor (hey if I say it often enough, maybe it will come true), It might make it unlikely that we will take any of the OLB prospects that are likely to make an impact THIS year. It makes it more likely that we take a college DE that will take a year or two to make the transition and thus make a difference.

4. So IMHO, it looks to me that we can use THIS draft to do 2 things. Find the best S available (IMHO the only position that still needs an immediate upgrade) and then look to the future at positions like DL, OL, TE

I agree all the way. I'd draft S or DL first, depending on which athlete is available at the time.

1. When I first heard about Vic Carucci's report about a pending trade between Carolina and the Pats, it just didn't make sense for all the reason's that have been well discussed here already. The price AND concequences of signing a big LT contract. The fact that he has never played OLB or any stand up position before. The fact that he has a suspect rep concerning his every play motor (though that kind of rep hasn't hinders several guys who have strapped on the flying elvis from have very good years as Patriots).

As I have been saying right from the begining of FA, if we feel the need to go out and upgrade our existing OLB group, Jason Taylor is a much better fit. He wouldn't be a hugh LT expense. He has an unquestioned every play motor, even on some horrible teams. He has played OLB. He is very familiar with the team, its coaches, and players. He is just the right player in so many ways, it would be a crime if he doesn't end up here this season.

2. After watch ANOTHER very active FA period for the Pats, its become increasingly clear that the 12 odd draft picks the Pats have this April is massive overkill, almost a redundant as the Picks they too prior to the 2007 season. Looking at some of the roster possibilities that have already been listed, it would be hard to thing that any more than 5 or 6 rookies making this team, so at this point I can't see the Pats keeping all three 2nd round picks. I can easily see us trading several of our picks to move up or into the 2010 draft, so we don't end up drafting guys that end up signing with other teams come 9/1.

3. With the signing of BOTH Springs and Boddin, along with having 2 young CBs coming off the IR, the Pats have 5 of the 6 CBs that will probably make the roster right now, and who knows about guys like Richardson; so I don't see us picking a CB in the first 6 picks.

If we sign Taylor (hey if I say it often enough, maybe it will come true), It might make it unlikely that we will take any of the OLB prospects that are likely to make an impact THIS year. It makes it more likely that we take a college DE that will take a year or two to make the transition and thus make a difference.

4. So IMHO, it looks to me that we can use THIS draft to do 2 things. Find the best S available (IMHO the only position that still needs an immediate upgrade) and then look to the future at positions like DL, OL, TE

I do not think signing or not signing Jason Taylor will have any effect on our draft plans at OLB. Whether we are picking first or two-twenty-third, IMO, BB NEVER bases his pick on the need of the player to contribute this year. In fact, I think its just the opposite, he is prepared for every rookie to add zero and has a plan in that event, and anything contributed by any rookie is a bonus. I do not mean to say he prevents rookies from being on the field. I mean that his expectation is that it is uncommon for ANY rookie to be ready
to contribute as a starter, so when camp starts, they are not relied on. They have the opportunity to earn the job, but our season isn't contingent on them doing so.
In other words if every draft pick starts, or every draft pick ends camp on the IR, BBs confidence about the season would be essentially identical, because he wasn't counting on either, but had layers of plan for any situation that unfolds.

Get the offensive tackle in round 1 and then spend round 2 getting the linebacker(s) and safety.

So IMHO, it looks to me that we can use THIS draft to do 2 things. Find the best S available (IMHO the only position that still needs an immediate upgrade) and then look to the future at positions like DL, OL, TE

Drafting a TE, what oracle did you speak too, I see no evidence that we would draft a TE... ! :D

OK, so why damn Adam Schefter?

Get the offensive tackle in round 1 and then spend round 2 getting the linebacker(s) and safety.

I might agree had I even the slightest inkling of the available OT or whatever college talent, which I don't. Protecting the Franchise is job one. Done right, it will add (vs subtract) a couple years to contending for the SB. Brady's career productivity and longevity at the highest level is key.

Last edited:
C'mon Ken! The reason I even read this thread was the title... what's this got to do with Adam Schefter??

Damn Adam Schefter and his almost spot-on reporting and excellent draft analysis.

Anyhoo - it does seem like BB is setting himself up to take the best available player on the board. I am still hoping that player is a safety or LB.

I would even say take the best OT or OG available at that spot. I think Neal may be a little bit better than Kazcur, but with his injuries lately I think we could use someone competent to fill in if he goes down.

it does seem like BB is setting himself up to take the best available player on the board.

It is as if they want to go into the draft with no needs to fill, so they can be completely free to wheel, deal, and pick the BPA at the time.

If Julius Peppers really wants out of Carolina and reduces he contract demands, he will be traded to New England. No team is going to trade for Peppers, give up 2 first round picks and sign him to a huge contract. The only likely trade partner for Peppers will be New England because they have a crap load of draft picks. Nobody thought Oakland would unload Randy Moss for a 4th round pick and he just turned 30 years old at the time. Peppers just turned 29 this year. So for the people that think that a very high second round pick isn't a enough for Peppers is ******ed. Randy Moss was traded for a 4th round pick and he will go down as one of the greatest receivers of all time. If a player wants out that badly, Carolina may have to settle for whatever they can get. Again, the ball is in Pepper's court.

Last edited:
"Get the offensive tackle in round 1 and then spend round 2 getting the linebacker(s) and safety."

I agree with you on this. And lets see if if we can get another #1 for next year if possbile.

OK, so why damn Adam Schefter?

Oh I was just pissed at Adam for coming on the air to take the air out of all the Pepper talk, BEFORE I could post all the reasons why I thought it wouldn't be a wise move. So basically, my irritation with Adam is both selfish and short sighted. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots