PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dallas shopping M. Spears and B. Carpenter at Senior Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loaded might be the wrong term but Bradie James simply exploded this year. He was awful last year and he just clicked with Phillips system. One of the most improved players from 06 to 07.

im going off what Cowboy fans have said. constantly complained this year about Bradie James and how bad he sucks. i've only seen like 4-6cowboy games and didnt come out impressed

im going off what Cowboy fans have said. constantly complained this year about Bradie James and how bad he sucks. i've only seen like 4-6cowboy games and didnt come out impressed

I've got a diehard Cowboy fan in the family (records every game, and watches them multiple times), and he had some post HS success.

Anways, he likes Bradie James, and thought he improved this year. When it comes to the 'Boys his opinion has been among the more accurate over recent years.

I've got a diehard Cowboy fan in the family (records every game, and watches them multiple times), and he had some post HS success.

Anways, he likes Bradie James, and thought he improved this year. When it comes to the 'Boys his opinion has been among the more accurate over recent years.

Does he dislike Carpenter or just think hes not suited to play well in the current situation in Dallas?

Does he dislike Carpenter or just think hes not suited to play well in the current situation in Dallas?

It's funny that you ask me that. During the 2006 draft process I said the Cowboys would draft Carpenter, and told my family member this over the phone (and in person) multiple times. He then made Carpenter on Madden and put him on the Cowboys just based on my saying this. Well, the draft comes and I was correct.

I explain all this to set up the fallowing... within the past year my family member calls me up *****ing "I thought you said Carpenter was going to be good?", and almost complained about my saying the Cowboys would draft him (like I had some effect on the situation). So, he's had some complaints.

But, in recent conversations (the past 2-3 months) he's thought Carpenter looked good on special teams, and wondered why they weren't giving him more chances on defense. I've wondered this myself. If you watch some of their games Carpenter makes some plays on special teams, and just stands on the sidelines when the defense comes out. You'd think they'd give him a little more playing time. Really, how else is he supposed to mature into a starter?

Concering the system:

He's also thought Carpenter made more sense in Parcells system, than the 3-4 Phillips has installed. But, it's hard to completely judge the situation since they don't give him a lot of playing time.

Last edited:
Seb,

I am a Cowboy fan as well. I concur with much of your comments regarding James and Carpenter. The weak link at LB for the Cowboys is definitely Ayodele. James had a breakout year. He also emerged as a leader on the team this year.

The Carpenter situation was really odd. I was constantly noticing him and our UDFA, Justin Rogers on ST this year. They were both making a lot of plays, but more so Carpenter.

The Son of Bum was asked flat out this year why Carpenter wasn`t seeing the field on defence and was very short in answering something along the lines of ``he got hurt in training camp and then didn`t impress when he played``. Even though he only played for two quarters of the last game. There sounds like there`s more going on than meets the eye.

Carpenter did show some promise last year as he gained confidence and experience in the system. I`d be surprised if he turned out to be a complete bust.

So do you think Carpenter would be a reclamation project who would be worth it for the Pats to look into or not?
I think another problem is that Carpenter is originally an OLB, and the Pats need help at ILB not OLB.
So I think for him to be useful he'd also need to convert to ILB in the 3-4.
As far as I know, Carpenter is not known as a killer pass rusher, so he wouldn't get reps in that role as OLB for the Pats.

It's funny that you ask me that. During the 2006 draft process I said the Cowboys would draft Carpenter, and told my family member this over the phone (and in person) multiple times. He then made Carpenter on Madden and put him on the Cowboys just based on my saying this. Well, the draft comes and I was correct.

I explain all this to set up the fallowing... within the past year my family member calls me up *****ing "I thought you said Carpenter was going to be good?", and almost complained about my saying the Cowboys would draft him (like I had some effect on the situation). So, he's had some complaints.

But, in recent conversations (the past 2-3 months) he's thought Carpenter looked good on special teams, and wondered why they weren't giving him more chances on defense. I've wondered this myself. If you watch some of their games Carpenter makes some plays on special teams, and just stands on the sidelines when the defense comes out. You'd think they'd give him a little more playing time. Really, how else is he supposed to mature into a starter?

Concering the system:

He's also thought Carpenter made more sense in Parcells system, than the 3-4 Phillips has installed. But, it's hard to completely judge the situation since they don't give him a lot of playing time.

I'm also friends with a Cowboys fan who's usually dead on and he swears James is playing ten times better in the Phillips system.

The guy is 6'2'' 248lbs. Right now.

Belichick coached his dad. People have said he plays like his dad.

Parcells knew what he could have in him.

Wade Phillips is an idiot.
Betya Parcells goes after him to replace Zach Thomas. He drafted him. No he's got some 'speariunce!
DW Toys

I think another problem is that Carpenter is originally an OLB, and the Pats need help at ILB not OLB.

Carpenter was a SAM in a 4-3 at college, but was drafted to play ILB by Parcells. He saw considerable time at OLB in his rookie season due to injury in Dallas (Ellis). He wasn`t impressive but showed some improvement by the end of the year. I don`t think he`s had a snap with Dallas`first team defence under Phillips (preseason or regular season).

So do you think Carpenter would be a reclamation project who would be worth it for the Pats to look into or not?
So I think for him to be useful he'd also need to convert to ILB in the 3-4.
As far as I know, Carpenter is not known as a killer pass rusher, so he wouldn't get reps in that role as OLB for the Pats.

If all it cost NE is a third or fourth rounder I'd be more than willing to swing the trade, as I still think he's got a good amount of untapped potential that could be used well in a BB coached 3-4.

Potential the Cowboys haven't even really tried to tap under Phillips...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back