Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
their take on "running up the score"

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/

Running it up?

Tim talked about this after the game for a bit, but some seem to be upset at the Patriots' final touchdown, calling it classless, with the game already decided.

Blame the Cowboys for the touchdown. Had they not called a timeout on that final drive, the Patriots could have run out the clock. Once they stopped the clock, I turned to Tim Cowlishaw and said the Patriots will score. You're down 14 points in the final two minutes and the other team is already in scoring territory and you call a timeout?

It would have been running it up had Tom Brady thrown his sixth touchdown pass. This was a simple fourth-down run play with the unknown Kyle Eckel getting the call. I've got no problems with what happened. The Cowboys didn't seem to bothered after the game by it either.

this whole running up the score bs is ridiculous.they sound like a bunch of little girls playing soccer. what the hell would the cowpies know about class.

In Brady's post-game press conference, the very last question was about insulting the Cowboys by going for the last touchdown. He was described as being more emotional at getting that one than the other five.

His answer: "Not take that as an insult? I don't know. Ask them. Great Question! I'm outta here."

IMO there is no doubt that the Pats wanted another exclamation point win!

Phillips is a tweeb who ran his mouth off about "VideoGate" to Peter King and then denied it.

Shredding his team for 48 points in their house speaks for itself! :eat1: :eat1:

their take on "running up the score"

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/

There's a fine essay written by a black guy about what it's like being in a retail store in a white neighborhood and having the store management assume that everything you do is oriented towards stealing something. "BWS" - black while shopping. I wish I'd kept the reference. He talked about it making him so frustrated that eventually he almost really did want to steal something, just to get revenge for being abused in that manner.

Anyway, that's what it's going to be like for the Pats for the next couple of years - everything the team does will be interpreted through the "cheating" and "classless" lens.

There's a fine essay written by a black guy about what it's like being in a retail store in a white neighborhood and having the store management assume that everything you do is oriented towards stealing something. "BWS" - black while shopping. I wish I'd kept the reference. He talked about it making him so frustrated that eventually he almost really did want to steal something, just to get revenge for being abused in that manner.

Anyway, that's what it's going to be like for the Pats for the next couple of years - everything the team does will be interpreted through the "cheating" and "classless" lens.

that would probably be the stupidest opinion ever expressed. not liling the owner is exclusive to non- caucasians ? being black is an excuse for stealing ?

If the rules of chivalry have any bearing on the concept of sportsmanship...and I believe that those rules are at the root of it...if your opponent does not capitulate (the Dallas timeout) you are duty bound not to deny him combat. Now, you don’t go at a weakened opponent full force which the Pats did not do by using Eckel. But to deny him combat is to wound the honor an opponent and not about "running up the score."

Great point about the time-out. It proves that Dallas were playing as if they still had a remote hope. Well then, end of story ...

If the rules of chivalry have any bearing on the concept of sportsmanship...and I believe that those rules are at the root of it...if your opponent does not capitulate (the Dallas timeout) you are duty bound not to deny him combat. Now, you don’t go at a weakened opponent full force which the Pats did not do by using Eckel. But to deny him combat is to wound the honor an opponent and not about "running up the score."

Fair point. Perhaps we should have turned the ball over to them on a kneel-down (probably never done in NFL history) just to REALLY put an exclamation point on the win! Nah ... too subtle. I like the 48 points! :)

that would probably be the stupidest opinion ever expressed. not liling the owner is exclusive to non- caucasians ? being black is an excuse for stealing ?
Oh pipe down, it was just an analogy. Did it strike a nerve? :rolleyes:

The University of Texas beat Iowa State 56-3 this weekend. This is a bad weekend for Texas folk to be leaning over the top rail of the corral and lamenting about running-up scores.

There is enough pansy in the game today that we ought not have to concern ourselves with the hurt feelings of millionaire athletes.

Wow. You need to read that post again, or have someone explain it to you.

Bill Belichick's father once told him...."the best way to prevent a team from running up the score is to make a stop".

Nice one man!!!

It's an analogy, genius.

this whole running up the score bs is ridiculous.they sound like a bunch of little girls playing soccer. what the hell would the cowpies know about class.

In fairness, it seems like the Dallas players themselves realize it's not running up the score. The ONLY chance (albeit slimmer than slim) the Cowboys would have had to win would be to score quickly, get the onside kick and score again to send it to OT.

If the Pats were up by more than two scores, than you take a knee. But, to run up the middle three or four straight times with your number 4 RB, that's is far from classless. That's actually pretty decent of the Pats. Tackle the man. Clock runs out.

Yeah what an idiot, why would a team call a timeout if your down 14 with 2 minutes left. Obviously the game is over and theres no possible way to win. Dallas should have just given up after haltime actually. They definitely deserved to get scored on.

Dallas called a timeout to maintain their final hope to win (ie, get the ball score quickly, and recover onside kick, and score again). So, if they could still possibly win since they were only down by two scores, why is the opposing team running up the score, if they make it more than two scores? Anybody who says it's running up the score is being disingenuous.

Now we know why Peyton used to throw som many TD passes... because the Colts defense sucked and he had no choice but to keep running up the score to protect the lead.

Brady could break his record this year without the benefit of a bad defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes