PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dale and Holly...Something just doesn't seem right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cannot franchise two players, if necessary will probably go with Wilfork.. also we do not know what goes on behind closed doors.. somewhere on talk radio I heard and interesting thought, that he has not been a team captain in two years.. not sure what it means.. but just anothe angle.

somewhere on talk radio I heard and interesting thought, that he has not been a team captain in two years.. not sure what it means.. but just another angle.
I don't know what he's like in the clubhouse but publicly, to me, he's moody and easily moved to talking about "It's Business". I wouldn't be shocked - and this is JUST me - if Belichick was iffy about his "all for me" attitude with the loss of Bruschi, Vrabel, Harrison. The clubhouse has changed and Seymour would likely become a bigger part of it. MY perception, which could be totally wrong, of the attitude Seymour brings would make his being a bigger force at least a little troubling.

The one viable question that Felger and Maz are asking is "why not let him play out this year then Franchise and Trade him".

It's a good question with viable possibilities :

- They may be planning to Franchise (and trade or not trade) Wilfork and they can't Franchise both.

- They may have struggled to find a market for a Franchised Cassel and may expect the same for a Franchised Seymour.

- They may have promised in the past not to Franchise Seymour (no evidence of this but possible).

- Seymour may have quietly said he was going to sit out starting today without a No Franchise promise (no evidence of this but possible).

It's a viable and interesting question whose answer we'll likely never know.

no way.....no team would bite at the franchise figure.They would want the pats to sign him to an extension,which the pats would never do.We would have been stuck with Cassel,too,unless we chose to outright release him.

I don't know what he's like in the clubhouse but publicly, to me, he's moody and easily moved to talking about "It's Business". I wouldn't be shocked - and this is JUST me - if Belichick was iffy about his "all for me" attitude with the loss of Bruschi, Vrabel, Harrison. The clubhouse has changed and Seymour would likely become a bigger part of it. MY perception, which could be totally wrong, of the attitude Seymour brings would make his being a bigger force at least a little troubling.

That coupled with his "holdout" last time could be a preemptive strike, they know what to expect... BB will be on WEEI at 5:00 PM... may explain more then.

That coupled with his "holdout" last time could be a preemptive strike, they know what to expect... BB will be on WEEI at 5:00 PM... may explain more then.

ahahahahahahaha

ahahahahahahaha
Yeah, we'll never know. We know as much now as we will after Bill tells all on the radio :)

The one viable question that Felger and Maz are asking is "why not let him play out this year then Franchise and Trade him".

It's a good question with viable possibilities :

- They may be planning to Franchise (and trade or not trade) Wilfork and they can't Franchise both.

- They may have struggled to find a market for a Franchised Cassel and may expect the same for a Franchised Seymour.

- They may have promised in the past not to Franchise Seymour (no evidence of this but possible).

- Seymour may have quietly said he was going to sit out starting today without a No Franchise promise (no evidence of this but possible).

It's a viable and interesting question whose answer we'll likely never know.

Ooooooooh, Ooooooooooh, Pick me............ {raises hand},

I pick #2.

Franchising Seymour and then duping another team (ummm, I mean other than the Raiders) that he's worth the money for a 1 year rental was a pretty iffy proposition and Cassel probably spooked BB into going with the bird in hand.

Of course, #4 seems unlikely............ But just imagine. :mad:

Last edited:
What if Belichick approached Seymour about an extension and was rebuffed or Seymour's agent asked for outrageous money. Sounds absurd ... but nothing can be counted out right now.

Perhaps Belichick approached his agent on an extension just to feel them out ... not that he really wanted to extend him. Seymour's agent fell for it and Belichick got the response he expected ... thus the trade.

If I'm right don't they call that one-upmanship ... ;)

Don't underestimate the potential value of that 2011 pick. As some have said, if there's a rookie salary cap implemented, we're talking about a tremendous value locked up for six years if you're at the top of the draft.

BB has had two top ten picks since he's been here. He turned them into Seymour and Mayo. He knows what to do with top end picks, and if he can get one on the cheap, it's of ENORMOUS value.

Hes on now

Don't underestimate the potential value of that 2011 pick. As some have said, if there's a rookie salary cap implemented, we're talking about a tremendous value locked up for six years if you're at the top of the draft.

BB has had two top ten picks since he's been here. He turned them into Seymour and Mayo. He knows what to do with top end picks, and if he can get one on the cheap, it's of ENORMOUS value.

His next highest (#13, and the only other one under pick #20) was Ty Warren. He's a pretty good player too. :cool:

We do not get the pick until and unless he reports to Oakland. He has not reported.

We do not get the pick until and unless he reports to Oakland. He has not reported.

Not according to Shefter (per Twitter)

Adam_Schefter: At this time, Seymour's options are to report to Oakland or to sit out. Sounds like New England is out of this, with Oak's 2011 1st rd pick.

While the whole thing seems harsh and hurtful to us fans (and it is - I wanted to cry when I heard the news - so much change in our team), it really isn't that surprising when you think about it. It's hard to like it, but not hard to understand it.

I don't know about the exact sequence of events; who called whom first or exactly when BB thought what he did, but the essential facts you describe make a lot of sense to me....ok, i didn't want to cry, but i did feel sad that another part of the heart of that 2001 team, that gave us all such joy, was going away....

I think he is wrong. If he sits out, the trade can be rescinded and we do not get Oakland's #1.
Without knowing the terms of the trade, none of us can possibly know that.

Without knowing the terms of the trade, none of us can possibly know that.

....... and I would bet that Shefter would know that better then Mack Herron, BF or PiNY. I thing I will defer to Shefter on this one :cool:

Observations on Mike Holley: 1) He sounded oddly different to me today. Perhaps because he and Arnold have had Seymour on as a regular on Mondays for a long time and they, understandably, have grown to like him. 2) I agree he's wired into certain guys on the team and likely has information he's vaguely hinting at, yet won't divulge completely. Whatever the case may be, he came across today as someone significantly different than his usual self. I actually turned them off, which I've never done before.

Observations on Mike Holley: 1) He sounded oddly different to me today. Perhaps because he and Arnold have had Seymour on as a regular on Mondays for a long time and they, understandably, have grown to like him. 2) I agree he's wired into certain guys on the team and likely has information he's vaguely hinting at, yet won't divulge completely. Whatever the case may be, he came across today as someone significantly different than his usual self. I actually turned them off, which I've never done before.

He sounded to me like a guy who is increasingly too far removed from the days when he was a fly on the wall of Gillette for 2 solid years and got to witness exactly what was going on and why. He needs to go back in and get caught up so he can write the sequel...

Didn't Belichick state today that the discussions have been going on since the Burgess trade... and that Oakland was the one who initiated the discussion and was pushing for it?

If true that would certainly take the shine off of a conspiracy theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes