Welcome to PatsFans.com

Daily Show captures Gonzales' hypocrisy perfectly

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, May 18, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Daily Show catches Gonzales hypocrisy on McNulty.

Alberto Gonzales, 4/19/07: “Looking back, things that I would have done differently? I think I would have had the Deputy Attorney General more involved, directly involved.”

VERSUS

Gonzales, 5/15/07: “The recommendations reflected the views of the Deputy Attorney General. He signed off on the names and he would know better than anyone else, anyone else in this room.”

Watch Stewart’s segment last night:

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

funny how the comedy news is the only news that delivers the truth.

3. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

Funnier still, that some people ACTUALLY believe that statement.

Funny clip: I love the line "I got kids going to college, I gotta stop working".

Love the line, and the delivery. Sadly though, the fiscal reality makes this goofy utterance actually true. I know many middle income folks that cannot afford to send their kids to the best colleges because the assistance just isn't there for them. I know one kid, whose folks are in the 100G a year category, could not afford a respected regional college until his parent stopped claiming him on their income tax and he was finally considered as a separate financial entity. He didn't have a pot to piss in, but the money (grants, loans, entitlements, etc...) came rolling in. He graduates from this same school next week :rocker:

Okay, continue the bash fest. Gonzo should quit months ago, but not cuz of these firings, because he's an incompetent leader.

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  4. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +253 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Exactly right:rocker:

5. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I don't see how a parent quiting his job will help a kid get financially emancipated; but I will admit that Stewart was being unfair there. This deputy whatever was probably pulling down about $1200 a week as a government employee. Yes the salaries are that low.

Now he goes to work for some private company for 100 times as much. Its not even dishonest. High public officials get into government to serve, not collect. They are, by and large, exceptional people. Even Bushies. Look at Condi, She probably makes less than $2000 a week now and before she joined the President's staff some oil company was impressed enough with her work to name a friggin' giant ship after her. You think said company would pay her more than 2k/week right now? The President of Ford made 20 million or so last year. I wonder how fast he'd be sent packing if someone of Condi's stature called the company up looking for a gig?

So yeah, college tuition hell is definitely a sensible reason for a high government official to quit his job and go private. Its still not proof that he's not a scumbag though.

6. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

Didn't say that. I said if I keep my kid at home and he wants to go to a school that costs like $20- $30 G a year. With the income we pull in (wife and I), he basically would get zero in grants and we might get some MINOR loan qualifications. We'd have a tough time keeping him in school money wise. If I quit my job (reducing our income significantly), or we toss him out (which will emancipate him in a year or two), he'll be eligible for tons more assitance, grants, scholarships, and student loans.

That's just the way it works.