PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

D. J. Foster: The Tape

Status
Not open for further replies.
1877-kars4kids K-A-R-S kars for kiiiiids. 1877-Kars4Kids... donate your car toddaaaaaaayyyy.

Damn you for getting that stuck in my head.
!!!!DISLIKE!!!!1!!11!!11

There's not much footage of him running in between the tackles or pass protecting which is an issue - but he looks really good with a ball in his hands in open space. Good hands too!

He could be a good compliment to Lewis, but the crazy thing about Deion Lewis, for a guy his size, is that he can run the ball inside and drive piles.

Shane Vereen redux???

The numbers are similar, need to see how he adapts and develops in a pro offense..

2016 NFL Draft Profile: D.J. Foster

BOTTOM LINE
The team that adds Foster will need to have a specific plan for him as he is more of a manufactured touch player rather than running back or wide receiver. While he can give teams a few carries here and there, his primary value as a pro will likely come as a pass catcher out of the backfield, but he might need to prove that he can become a special teams player along the way.

But seriously, I think that when the NE Brass saw the dynamic impact Lewis had on the offense, they were as surprised as anyone.

Unfortunately (understandably?) they really hadn't planned for depth.

But Lewis opened their eyes.

Now, they want a player in that role in 2016, and depth behind him as well. Foster a candidate obviously. All for a spot which literally fell out of nowhere into JMD's lap, and made us all say, "wow this type of thing works pretty good here." Someone who can just break that one tackle and then take advantage of all the open space created by everyone on D covering main threats #1-3.

So, IMO we will see a slightly different approach and look to roles of the usual RB depth chart we've seen from BB and NE the last several seasons to make room for this now new valuable roster spot, and like always with NE, depth behind it as well.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: PP2
That said in Foster's case if you have less than 3:00 minutes of positive College Highlights in a four year College stint you simple weren't that good...kid's got a steep up-hill battle.

And those highlights don't look all that impressive. There were a few cool cuts, but mainly the runs and receptions looked like ones other players would make as well.

How long was Malcolm Butlers highlight video?
How about Dion Lewis?
I dont think Gronk had a very long highlight video because of injury.

But seriously, I think that when the NE Brass saw the dynamic impact Lewis had on the offense, they were as surprised as anyone.

Unfortunately (understandably?) they really hadn't planned for depth.

But Lewis opened their eyes.

Now, they want a player in that role in 2016, and depth behind him as well. Foster a candidate obviously. All for a spot which literally fell out of nowhere into JMD's lap, and made us all say, "wow this type of thing works pretty good here." Someone who can just break that one tackle and then take advantage of all the open space created by everyone on D covering main threats #1-3.

So, IMO we will see a slightly different approach and look to roles of the usual RB depth chart we've seen from BB and NE the last several seasons to make room for this now new valuable roster spot, and like always with NE, depth behind it as well.

That is exactly what I'm thinking, as well.

I guarantee you they picked DJ to be a backup/contingency to Dion. Both of them are very close in height/weight, and style of play. I believe the Lewis effect really caught our opponents off guard. How do you deal with a lightweight RB who outruns you or slithers out of your grasp, when you're built to take down a smashmouth RB?

I've always been of the opinion that a diverse RBBC is the best way to wear out a run D. Outrun them on one snap, smash them in the mouth on the next. That is mentally exhausting to deal with.

Last edited:
While I agree with the general analysis, I'm not sure that Lewis innovated a new position. Are we forgetting Kevin Faulk and Danny Woodhead so soon? They owned a similar role before Lewis came on the scene. We just had some lean years, so now we're more impressed by the dazzle and flash. Still, I'm happy to have Foster on board, and he's one of the few players I mentioned before the draft as an excellent fit. Hope he and Lewis both flourish here.

How about Dion Lewis?

They had a ton of tape. Games, coaches film...

While I agree with the general analysis, I'm not sure that Lewis innovated a new position. Are we forgetting Kevin Faulk and Danny Woodhead so soon? They owned a similar role before Lewis came on the scene. We just had some lean years, so now we're more impressed by the dazzle and flash. Still, I'm happy to have Foster on board, and he's one of the few players I mentioned before the draft as an excellent fit. Hope he and Lewis both flourish here.

I'd add Darren Sproles to that list as another recent example of that type of RB.

How about Dion Lewis?
Huh? Dion and Gronk had a ton of tape and both were very well know at Pitt and Arizona, respectively.

Lewis is WAY more elusive/quicker than Falk and even Woodhead.

Lewis is WAY more elusive/quicker than Falk and even Woodhead.

Exactly. While guys like Faulk, Woodhead, and Vereen had the skills, Lewis has way more physical gifts. That's why he's a feature back and the others were role players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back