PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Czarnecki has interesting info on Branch's rookie contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE39

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
From Foxsports: LINK

A lot has been written in the Boston newspapers about how badly the Patriots are treating their top receiver Deion Branch — making it seem as if Scott Pioli, the club's vice-president of player personnel, is being cheap with Branch with a three-year extension of $18 million.

However, Branch signed a fair deal when he was drafted in the second round in 2002. There were reasonable incentives in his contract that would have boosted his '06 salary. The trouble was that Branch reached only the first escalator in his contract, which paid him $500,000 extra if he had 900 receiving yards in a single season. He did it last season, and that bonus was added to his base pay of $545,000 this season.

The maximum Branch could have received this season was $3.545 million if he had reached 1,100 receiving yards in each of his first four seasons. He would have gotten a $1 million bonus for simply doing it once. Last season, 15 receivers had 1,100 yards or more. Branch had 998 and five touchdowns. In two other seasons, Branch failed to reach 500 receiving yards.

Several teams have told me that Branch might be the third receiver on their roster. Branch was MVP of Super Bowl XXXVIIII, and he's a valuable player to the Patriots; but the club is being reasonable based on his overall career production.

After reading this, it makes me wonder if Deion's mystery offer will even materialize, or whether it is a fantasy created by his agent.

NE39 said:
From Foxsports: LINK

A lot has been written in the Boston newspapers about how badly the Patriots are treating their top receiver Deion Branch — making it seem as if Scott Pioli, the club's vice-president of player personnel, is being cheap with Branch with a three-year extension of $18 million.

However, Branch signed a fair deal when he was drafted in the second round in 2002. There were reasonable incentives in his contract that would have boosted his '06 salary. The trouble was that Branch reached only the first escalator in his contract, which paid him $500,000 extra if he had 900 receiving yards in a single season. He did it last season, and that bonus was added to his base pay of $545,000 this season.

The maximum Branch could have received this season was $3.545 million if he had reached 1,100 receiving yards in each of his first four seasons. He would have gotten a $1 million bonus for simply doing it once. Last season, 15 receivers had 1,100 yards or more. Branch had 998 and five touchdowns. In two other seasons, Branch failed to reach 500 receiving yards.

Several teams have told me that Branch might be the third receiver on their roster. Branch was MVP of Super Bowl XXXVIIII, and he's a valuable player to the Patriots; but the club is being reasonable based on his overall career production.

After reading this, it makes me wonder if Deion's mystery offer will even materialize, or whether it is a fantasy created by his agent.

Great info, it just goes to show how much of an @ss he is. Even in the 11th hour of this situation even more info comes out that makes him look bad. I don't understand how someone can be so irrational. Its mind boggling.

Actually, this info had been posted here earlier. Branch himself failed to reach the incentives, mostly because of injuries.

Good article and it really does lay it all out and show that this whole thing is being caused by Deion thinking he's worth more than he is and not honoring a contract that he signed. Only one problem, Superbowl "XXXVIIII?" nice editing job Fox.

Last edited:
Great find NE93.

This situation will be resolved in some capacity at 4pm today. We'll just have to wait and see.

My goodness, actual reporting from Czarnecki! It is indeed a day of wonders! I am now eagerly awaiting the resolution to the Pats' contretemps with Deion's camp, while a Mary Poppins' medley entertains my memory.

In fairness to Branch, he hasn't reached some of those figures because of health.

However, a case could be made that his injury history is a concern and his new contract should reflect that.

Oh, and besides Indy, Arizona and maybe Denver, I can't think of many other teams that Branch wouldn't be one of the top 2 guys. I suppose someone might say Carolina, but they would be wrong; Branch is much better than Keyshawn.

If it would get him in camp, I would give him the extra two yards from last year and give him his bonus for reaching 1000 yards.

The stunning part is that we evidently offered a 3 & 5 year contract each at a little over $6M per year. Unless there was almost no bonus and lots of unguaranteed salaries at the end (unlikely as we would want to keep him not cut him), I just don't see the problem. Reasonably structured, $6M a year is overpaying him IMO.

dryheat44 said:
If it would get him in camp, I would give him the extra two yards from last year and give him his bonus for reaching 1000 yards.
Is there a bonus for 1,000 or 1,100 ?

If you remember in the Miami game we put him in to get his 1,000 yards but he dropped the pass.

BelichickFan said:

If you remember in the Miami game we put him in to get his 1,000 yards but he dropped the pass.
Called back on a penalty, let us not tarnish his hands in our frustration!

Box_O_Rocks said:
Called back on a penalty, let us not tarnish his hands in our frustration!
Really ? Oh well. The point is they tried.

BelichickFan said:

You're right, it was 1100. Seems an odd milestone number.

The stunning part is that we evidently offered a 3 & 5 year contract each at a little over $6M per year. Unless there was almost no bonus and lots of unguaranteed salaries at the end (unlikely as we would want to keep him not cut him), I just don't see the problem. Reasonably structured, $6M a year is overpaying him IMO

Again, there is no disagreement about compensation from 2007-2009. It's 2006 that's the problem.

Not relevant, but I think individual incentives for receivers is asking for trouble.

Talking about Branch, all the Jamokes on the pregame show (sans the little short guy on NEST) were talking about how NE absolutely doesn't want to pay him the franchise next year. I wanted to call in and say, "Hey guys, you do realize that their initial offer was for only $1mm less than the 2007 tender amount per year! Why wouldn't they be willing to pay the amount in one year when they've already shown their OK with paying it for 3 years?"

Pure lunacy.

Again, we shall not see Deion till week 10.. And then he will ride the pine

Sean Pa Patriot said:
I dont see how the Patriots would allow that. That would be dumb on their part. There has to be something they can do other than let him do whatever he wants.

Sean Pa Patriot said:

No he won't. He won't even be allowed on the sideline. If it plays out like that, he's getting Keyshawned.

Last edited:
Oswlek said:
In fairness to Branch, he hasn't reached some of those figures because of health.

However, a case could be made that his injury history is a concern and his new contract should reflect that.

Oh, and besides Indy, Arizona and maybe Denver, I can't think of many other teams that Branch wouldn't be one of the top 2 guys. I suppose someone might say Carolina, but they would be wrong; Branch is much better than Keyshawn.

That's an excellent point that hasn't received nearly the talk it deserves. In 4 seasons, Branch only played in all 16 games once - and that was last year!

Branch's numbers place him as a #1 receiver, but at the bottom of the pack. His durability issues knock him down another notch in my book.

I guess your right he will be Keyshawened or TO"D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back